PDA

View Full Version : Choppyness in games?

raven
11-03-02, 06:27 PM
I got this real strange problem that appeared sort of recently... In games I get a major framedrop with like 2-6 minutes intervalls. It's most obvious in racing games, such as Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 where my framerate drops from my usual 30-35ish to like 5fps for about 2-4 seconds.

Anyone that have had a similar problem or is it just my system that is "getting old"? I run an AMD 1,4Ghz, 256MB DDR Ram with a GeForce 3 Ti500.

I'm using the 30,82 detonators and like the latest drivers I've been able to find for all my hardware. Running Win XP Pro with SP1. I always exit as much applications that I can before running any games, but it won't help.

N4S:HP2 I run in 1024*768*32 with medium details, hardware sound off (even though I got a SB Live) and AA set to off in my display settings (or rather "let software decide, but since there is no settings in the game I assume it doesn't use it).

Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanks in Advance. :)

raven.

thcdru2k
11-03-02, 06:28 PM
does the hd make a skip noise or anything similar? sounds like you need a good ol defrag.

raven
11-03-02, 06:39 PM
Ahh... that one never came to my mind... A friend suspected it might be something with saving ghost/replay data in racing games (where it's most obvious)... But a defrag might do the trick... I can't hear my HDD's skip sounds or anything like that, it's too quiet and my comp too noisy ;)

I'll try a defrag out though, because I don't believe my friend's thesis since I got an ATA-100 disc and the developers should have made it such a way that it wouldn't cause troubles when playing ;)

Thanks for the tip! *goes off to defrag his harddrive*

The Baron
11-03-02, 07:36 PM
You should defrag every month... there's absolutely nothing that can prevent you from needing to do it. So... go defrag. :p

thcdru2k
11-03-02, 08:10 PM
heck if you leave your computer on at night might as well defrag everynight. thats what i do :) of course it takes only lik 10-15 minutes to defrag from night to night. instead of an hour or more after a month of use.

The Baron
11-03-02, 08:12 PM
Assuming you're using NTFS. FAT32 takes forever to defrag, especially in Win98SE... *shudders when reminded of 12 hour defrag times*

Scary.

raven
11-03-02, 10:52 PM
"Wow... That was simply amaaaazing" *does his best Bad-TV-Commercial-for-stupid-training-stuff immitation*

Well, I defragged one partition (the one with Hot Pursuit 2 installed on it) and then launched the game... Ran smoothly for a 5 lap race, when I usually experienced choppyness at least once every lap. Took about an hour or two for 40GB files, but I haven't really deleted much on that one so a defrag wasn't recommended by the program even ;)

Just finished on another partition with about 8GB data, not been defragged in over 7 months, this is where I keep the rest of my games installed as well as windows. Took a couple of hours, not as bad as I expected. I'll evaluate this further tomorrow after some sleep, but as of now I'm pretty sure it will have helped.

Thanks a million guys, I didn't think it'd be THAT easy ;)

thcdru2k
11-03-02, 10:53 PM
no problem :) luckily it wasn't a hardware problem.

stncttr908
11-04-02, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
Assuming you're using NTFS. FAT32 takes forever to defrag, especially in Win98SE... *shudders when reminded of 12 hour defrag times*

Scary.

Not if you're using Norton Utilities, defrags my 30GB drive in about 90 minutes. :D