PDA

View Full Version : Best Speaker Option...

pelly
11-03-02, 07:28 PM
Not including home audio setups...what are the best speakers out there for your hard-earned money?

Are these speakers worth the extra money, or is it just a waste in your opinion? ( spend the money elsewhere )

pelly
11-03-02, 07:34 PM
Well.....I actually have two answers for this one....

For the best value out there, the Logitech Z560's win hands-down...Only $136 from newegg, you have speakers that rival or best the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's.....

In the end though, the ProMedia 5.1's sounds good enough to make me contemplate selling my spleen on the black-market. :D
If they were maybe a hundred dollars less, there's no doubt, I would find a way to buy these...Computer speaker perfection!

:D

The Baron
11-03-02, 07:36 PM
I just use normal stereo speakers hooked up to a receiver in my room... at least when I do use speakers.

Usually I stick with Sennheiser HD570s. Good headphones...

But anyway, if you basically get a cheap home theater, it will probably sound infinitely better than any set of computer speakers...

saturnotaku
11-03-02, 07:36 PM
Compared to the Z-560's, Klipsch speakers are way overpriced. If you're extremely cash-strapped, the Altec Lansing 251's are great. Not as crisp as the Logitech's but still very good. :)

And Baron, I have the exact same headphones. Best I've ever used - worth every penny. :D

thcdru2k
11-03-02, 08:12 PM
i would definately go with cheap home theatre of speakers anytime. they'res just so much you can do, connect to, and the upgradability is always there like your computer. definately worth the extra 100.

budd_wm
11-03-02, 08:16 PM
You should wait for the Megaworks 550 THX set due out soon. Only costs 30 bucks more than the 510Ds and sound much better from what I've heard. I've already placed an order for them. :D

LTech221
11-03-02, 08:26 PM
Instead of the Z560's and KPM 4.1's you should look into the Altec Lansing 641's very well balanced system. Doing a listening test to all 3, the 641's seemed the most natural/best sounding. The bass isnt sloppy but well defined compared to the z560's. I think they can be found as cheap as teh z560's online, haven't cheked lately though.

pelly
11-03-02, 09:49 PM
I'm using one of the best budget speakers ever made....Altec Lansing ACS-48.....Wooden-boxed 6" sub....nice crisp speakers...

In their day, these $150 ( now more like $75 ) speakers were giving much more expensive models a run for their money...

:D

LTech221
11-03-02, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by budd_wm
You should wait for the Megaworks 550 THX set due out soon. Only costs 30 bucks more than the 510Ds and sound much better from what I've heard. I've already placed an order for them. :D
Yah those look nice, I like the fact that they added all the controls in a controller now, no more adjusting sub volume from the back. I think there is also a headphone output on the controller this time, let us know what it sounds like when it comes :)

Gator
11-04-02, 06:03 AM
I like the good ol fashion approach of buying the walmart special! :D By that I mean I use a nice shelf system that had four speaker, 3 cd changer, dual casette, digital tuner, and remote. It was only $99us and my thinking was why spend double that for JUST computer speakers, when I can have it all for less. Mine is Philips and it's worked quite well for me, but any deal you find on a shelf system provided it has an auxilary input connector for the computer's audio should work just fine. ;)

Juntari
11-06-02, 12:29 AM
I like Creative 510D from the list, since in my opinion, although I hear that Z-680 can output more tight bass, it does not come to the level that 510D is capable of in terms of midrange and high end frequencies. But Z-680 has decoder for Prologic-II, DTS, etc. So I would say whatever is cheaper should fit the bill.

BTW in my opinion the best sub $200 5.1 setup is Monsoon MH-505. It is a no-frills sound system that is pretty good and provide value.

I think the current 510D can be qualified for THX rating...just that it was not part of the incentive in the first place, but the drawing power of such commercial recognition is good for promotion.

volt
11-06-02, 07:08 AM
S4 MidiLand 8200 v2.0 ~$350
200 watts Dolby Digital/DTS Home Theater System (6.1)

I've always wanted this system!!
Well at least S4 MidiLand 8200 v1.0 (5.1). This set is about $300

I just don't have the cash. Maybe next year :D

LTech221
11-06-02, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Juntari

BTW in my opinion the best sub $200 5.1 setup is Monsoon MH-505. It is a no-frills sound system that is pretty good and provide value.

I think the current 510D can be qualified for THX rating...just that it was not part of the incentive in the first place, but the drawing power of such commercial recognition is good for promotion.

Creative is releasing a "THX" version called the 550 (5.1) and 250 (2.1) not that THX really means anything as it is only a marketing gimmik, but those systems are said to have an improved sub/sat system and finally have a wired remote to control all settings. No more going under the desk to adjust the sub. As for the Monsoons, excellent for the $ although if you are a bass fanatic they would not suit you. They seem more of a general purpose use-Mix of everything, movies music gaming. Monsoon is also working on an uber 5.1 system and 2.1 system which would most likely aim @ the KPM 2.1's and the 3 5.1 systems (Logitech z680, Cambridge 550, Klipsch 5.1's).