PDA

View Full Version : Doom III alpha comments

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DoinkyBottoms
11-03-02, 08:26 PM
Thanks so much to the moderators for stopping the spread of this blasphemy. Nothing destroyes the experience like a bunch of "reviews" based on some crappy alpha test version, and poor give-it-all-away screeshots. Doom3 is a milestone in gaming, the ultimate in anticipation. I hope the person responsible has his head bitten off and his ass fired.

volt
11-03-02, 09:06 PM
Glad to see more people agree with our methods hehehe :D

LORD-eX-Bu
11-03-02, 09:20 PM
I say we hang volt and drag his body thru the streets!:p

DoinkyBottoms
11-03-02, 09:30 PM
You mess with him you deal with both of us...:D

Obviously, I'm not a threat seems how I had to edit this post three times to get it right.

volt
11-03-02, 09:31 PM
HAHAHA, got beef now ? :D

LORD-eX-Bu
11-03-02, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by volt
HAHAHA, got beef now ? :D

BRING IT!;) :p

-=DVS=-
11-04-02, 04:53 PM
Recently we've had some people posting on released/leaked pirated software (warez). Anyone found posting links/pictures (attachments, or [img] tags) and asking where to obtain warez will be sent a warning, and their post will be deleted. However, you can post links to pictures ONLY if that particular site does not contain any information on how to obtain the pirated software, or does not talk about it in detail. Under NO circumstances you may troubleshoot the users who request help for unreleased/leaked software. NO EXCEPTIONS. There is no second warning, because you will get banned from accessing this forum. BY volt

but we can talk about it don't we :o this is why we have Games Forum !!!

Anyways on Radeon 9700 leaked doom runs at around 60FPS at 640x480 res same speed with 2x and 4x AA and 16xaniso , but drops alot in heavy fire mode , must be CPU limited or just very early build of engine :p can't wait for retail :D

volt
11-04-02, 04:57 PM
woooooooow
Great, anything you want to add? Be careful though, I may consider it as one of those things I'd hate to see here.

The Baron
11-04-02, 05:52 PM
When you look at the console, it says...

"Doom 3 v 0.02"

ZERO POINT ZERO TWO.

It's about as far away from done as HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

It's cool, in that Matrix Reloaded teaser sort of way. But don't make judgments from it--just remember, it's John Carmack, and he wasn't really happy with Quake 2 or 3.... :D

PenguinJim
11-04-02, 07:08 PM
Well I wasn't really happy with Quake 1.

Too brown. And ran very poorly on my DX2/66 (although I cranked it up to SVGA on my new P133/Matrox Mystique :D)

The Baron
11-04-02, 07:46 PM
Carmack was happy with Q1 from an engine standpoint--it was the first to do 3D, period... :p

fantomas
11-04-02, 07:53 PM

who cares anyway, the game will be out eventually. **** trying to play 1 scene at 5FPS lol. I remember getting the kreed alpha what a joke. No weapons, a few rooms, one lame monster. just wait for the full game

:D

LORD-eX-Bu
11-04-02, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by fantomas

who cares anyway, the game will be out eventually. **** trying to play 1 scene at 5FPS lol. I remember getting the kreed alpha what a joke. No weapons, a few rooms, one lame monster. just wait for the full game

:D

Never found the monster in that, or the water that everyone was talking about.

DoinkyBottoms
11-04-02, 08:16 PM
Hey where'd you get DirectX 9 from? Is that real or some joke?

thcdru2k
11-04-02, 08:19 PM
no its real. dx9 beta 3 has been floating around for almost a month. dx9 beta has been floating for months. just gotta look for it :)

fantomas
11-05-02, 12:28 AM
[eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu
Never found the monster in that, or the water that everyone was talking about.

it lurks in a room on the first map, i havent seen the water in that either. Actually I would check out the doom alpha, the shots everyones got have that cool scene with the monsta eating the zombie in the bathrooms, yikes! on a 56k tho 380megs is not very realistic.

Much better sized download is the final fantasy XI benchmark, weighing in at a light 11mb. i will use this to make my iron crawl instead, anyone interested can pick it up from
playonline.com (http://www.playonline.com/Download/FFXiBench.zip) :D

LORD-eX-Bu
11-05-02, 12:31 AM
Yep, still can't find it, haha, but yeah, I posted that bench earlier I think.;)

thcdru2k
11-05-02, 12:35 AM
i sure hope the final of ff xi doesn't look like the benchmark. its like looking at a ps2 game on a computer monitor. the bad blurry textures are magnified.

fantomas
11-05-02, 12:40 AM
you posted that benchmark already cool, i didnt know. Just found www.kreed3d.com (http://www.kreed3d.com) the new site for the game.

Its guy fawkes tonight, im going out to see some anti terror celebrations!

Nv40
11-05-02, 02:21 AM
ok guys here is my benchmarks ...

AtlonXp 1900+ ,Geforce4 ti400 ,1GB ddr ram..

in doom3 i got at 800x600 high quality settings
, noaa/no af

1)30-45 fps with no monsters ,
2)and and average of 10-15frames with monsters fights
3) in one scene which there is a big explosion in droped to 5fps ... hehe..

my friend benchmarks ,,\
p4 1.6 @ 2.2GHz ,radeon9700pro ,512 megs DDr

1) from 45-60 frames with no monsters
2) an average from 18-25 frames with monsters fights
3)in the same scene above the performance dropped up to 5fps

the game is very playable from 20-30 frames , because its
doesnt require the blazing speeds of multiplayer deathmatch
games like quake/unreal games..

from 14-20 frames is was still playable in my Geforce4 but not smooth .. the only times it was near imposible to play (1fps) ,was
in very close combat fight with the fireball demons

in those same close combats the radeon9700pro performance
dropped few times up to 7fps!!! ..

so it is interesting to see ,that this game biggest problem
will be its performance ,while it was playable at 800x600
in the radeon9700pro ,you will need a more powerfull system
if you dont ever want to experience huge drop in frame rates .

graphics are Good to me ,but not impressive as quake3 was
when the first time i saw it..textures really needs more work..
the dynamics lights looks good in the game , levels have lots
of polys . bumpmaps were nice too.

but the most impressive thing for me in the game was the physics engine ,much better that anything i have seen.

im looking foward for the final game ,its well worth the money
,im really sure it will be a great game.. ;)

-=DVS=-
11-05-02, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by DoinkyBottoms
Hey where'd you get DirectX 9 from? Is that real or some joke?

DX9 is very real there was few betas already newest one is Beta 3 , overal perfomance of Radeon 9700 rises very nicely , especialy eviromental mapping from 200 to over 300 on common system :eek:
hehe have it but havn't installed it yet , it says it will expire next year Jan 8 2003 , if by then there is no retail or new beta i would have to reinstall windows or maybe turn time back hehe, its realy annouying :p

thcdru2k
11-05-02, 07:39 AM
nah just use dx destroyer :)

DoinkyBottoms
11-05-02, 08:24 AM
I am curious to see about CPU dependence. Is it going to be like UT2003 where my nice Radeon 9700 is useless when there is AI in use? I have a 2000+, but I guess that is not enough anymore. BTW, how is the 5.1 sound? I remember back when EAX and A3D were just starting, they really sucked.

Kruno
11-05-02, 08:51 AM
my friend benchmarks ,,\
p4 1.6 @ 2.2GHz ,radeon9700pro ,512 megs DDr

1) from 45-60 frames with no monsters: around 45 fps for me not 60 :)
2) an average from 18-25 frames with monsters fights: same here

3)in the same scene above the performance dropped up to 5fps:
yep

Overall the performance for an alpha is very good. Be sure to set a higher priority time and disable some shadows as well as close of all background apps.

stncttr908
11-05-02, 11:48 AM
I was surprised at how well it performed on my friend's 1700+ ti4600 system. Both are at stock speeds. It really gave me the creeps. Everyone should just calm down. If anything this alpha made me salivate over the final thing even more. It didn't ruin anything in my eyes, but that's just my $0.02.