PDA

View Full Version : defective cpu.

CHEVYMAN_02
09-04-04, 07:08 PM
I think i got a defective cpu. I just bought A64 2800+ and plugged everything in the computer and it does come on at all. the mobo is get power but it won't power up.

jAkUp
09-04-04, 07:10 PM
the mobo isnt grounded? Is the 12v connection is plugged in? have you tried different memory?

CHEVYMAN_02
09-04-04, 07:13 PM
yes. Does the mobo have to all the screws in it

jAkUp
09-04-04, 07:19 PM
not really no.. it just cannot be touching any metal.. did you try resetting the cmos battery?

CHEVYMAN_02
09-04-04, 10:12 PM
it is not touching any metal. No i did try to reset the cmos battery

camelot
09-04-04, 10:35 PM
You have both power connectors plugged in?

CHEVYMAN_02
09-04-04, 10:39 PM
yes. i have both plugged up

CHEVYMAN_02
09-06-04, 04:23 AM
can anybody else help me?

Riptide
09-06-04, 09:37 AM
Do you see any lights on the motherboard lit up to make sure it does actually have power? This may sound silly but there may be a switch on the back of your power supply. It's also an on/off switch. See if it's there and that you have it set properly.

CHEVYMAN_02
09-06-04, 10:28 AM
yes the mobo is getting power because the red light is on. there is a switch on the power supply. I may sound stupid for asking this but which way switch be push in for it to be on?

Riptide
09-06-04, 10:45 AM
yes the mobo is getting power because the red light is on. there is a switch on the power supply. I may sound stupid for asking this but which way switch be push in for it to be on?
If you have an LED lit up on your motherboard then it should be in the proper position.

You've checked all your motherboard headers to be sure that they are plugged in for proper polarity? That shouldn't keep the board from powering up but I'd check to be sure anyway.

Check your manual and see what the red LED is supposed to mean. You could also have a bad power supply so you might try another one.

I believe a lot of motherboards also will beep to indicate a dead CPU or no CPU. You might see if yours should be doing that or not.

CHEVYMAN_02
09-06-04, 10:50 AM
well that is the thing about i can't even turn the computer on. when i hit the power button nothing happens. it is as though there is no juice at all.

camelot
09-06-04, 11:09 AM
Try taking out the graphics card and see if you get power then. I know on a mobo i had before a red LED meant there was a problem with the card in the AGP slot. In fact, you can try removing the memory and so on too, just to see if you can get a beep out of the thing. Do you have the speaker in the case plugged into the motherboard? Do you have the connectors from the case to the motherboard the right way up and on the right pins? If you dont have the power on button from the case connected right that could be the cause.

CHEVYMAN_02
09-06-04, 11:15 AM
i look at the diagram that came with my mobo and plugged the connectors up the way it showed on the diagram. on my old mobo which was a ABIT NF7 the red led meant that the mobo was getting power so that is what i figured here to.

Sazar
09-06-04, 11:30 AM
what devices do you have plugged into your system right now?

if its powering on and not posting there may be an issue with one of the devices...

read the manual again... plug in the connectors appropriately... remove any other stuff you installed or plugged into your system (including hard-drives) and then try posting...

once you post you can go from there...

cpu/mobo/psu/gfx card is all you need @ the moment... ideally

CHEVYMAN_02
09-06-04, 11:33 AM
all i have is the mouse, keyboard, monitor, hdd, graphic card, psu.
but it isn't powering at all. so i don't know if will post or not

Sazar
09-06-04, 11:42 AM
well remove the hdd...

no power ie no fans spinning... no lights coming on?

you are sure you have all the connectors properly connected for the front panel and the power and everything?

dbl and triple check... clear the cmos and then try turning it on again...

CHEVYMAN_02
09-06-04, 11:46 AM
yes i am sure that the front panel connectors are plugged in correctly. no fans are spinning and no lights are coming on. ok i will try that.

Sazar
09-06-04, 11:48 AM
/me shrugs...

I remember I got a bum mobo the first time I set up my system... fortunately i was in tampa @ the time and a m8 of mine worked at a computer store nearby... i went and got my cpu and mobo tested there to make sure it was working and found the cpu was dead so I got a new one on the spot :)

if you have anyways to check the cpu in a computer store with tech support nearby that would help...

what is your psu rating and what not... might as well give the specs... its a bit frustrating to say the least when yer trying to get something worknig...

CHEVYMAN_02
09-06-04, 11:52 AM
my psu is a 400w and i know of a computer shop but they won't check because they don't want to be liable for the part if is mess up. I am going to go ahead and RMA it.

Sazar
09-06-04, 12:01 PM
man that sucks...

play around with it a little more today before mailing it off... its a holiday today so you still have time to perhaps figure something out...

/me shrugs...

just take a break and then remove everything and then try everything again... try with just one mem clip or sometihng as well... who knows... might be a simple issue somewhere...