PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide on Mobo+Ram for a A64 3500+

AssyrianKing
09-05-04, 06:00 AM
I'm buying a new gaming system in about a month and going for a s939 A64 3500+, i'd get the FX-53 but i don't wanna pay over 1k more for a cpu.

I need to know what mobo is the best available for this cpu, I think i wanna get the 'Asus A8V Deluxe WiFi' board. I've been reading some threads and seeing now the agp/pci lock is working properly under the newer beta bios for this board I wanna overclock this but nothing extreme or too high just enough to squeeze out some more power from the 3500+.

Also i am VERY confused with all these memory types and need to know what memory to get with this mobo? im thinking going with 'CORSAIR TwinX PRO 512meg x 2 XMS3200C2' is this good to use for some good overclocking?

the rest of the system is:
Asus V9999 GF 6800 Ultra Deluxe
Antec 550watt ATX True Power True Control
WD 200GB SATA 8MB

Any help on what board to get for the 3500+ and what memory to use would be great, also any suggestions on what CPU Heatsink and fan is good to use for this other than the retail for better temperatures when overclocking.

PaiN
09-05-04, 10:26 AM
Looks like the Asus A8V-D is the board to have....just make sure you get a "rev. 2.0". This new revision has many improvements over the older versions.

Viral
09-06-04, 01:30 AM
That memory won't be the best for overclocking.. it will go fairly high (perhaps 215-225FSB with higher voltage and slightly looser timings), but really it doesn't promise so much.

The 3700EB or 3700EL from OCZ seems to be good memory for the proce that is rated at speeds above 400MHz in the first place and should easily allow for the type of overclock you are looking at (maybe 250MHz FSB max, probably more if you tweak a heap and are lucky).