PDA

View Full Version : MSI Live Update?

gate1975mlm
09-05-04, 10:52 AM
How does MSI Live Update work? Does it make it easy to update Bios for there motherboards? Do you still have to use Dos?

camelot
09-05-04, 11:15 AM
Its a program that runs from windows, no need for dos or floppies. Yes, theres a small risk if you have issues with windows crashing, but ive used live update on my NEO2 and previously used the Asus one with my A7N8X and never had an issue.

gate1975mlm
09-05-04, 11:28 AM
Its a program that runs from windows, no need for dos or floppies. Yes, theres a small risk if you have issues with windows crashing, but ive used live update on my NEO2 and previously used the Asus one with my A7N8X and never had an issue.

Thats great because I never updated my bios on my last board K7S5A because I had to update the Bios in DOS using floppys. Thanks for the info. :clap:

Sazar
09-05-04, 11:34 AM
another :thumbsup: for the ease of use :)

as camelot said its only an issue if you have problems with crashing windows...

you can make a backup floppy for the bios if you want but I haven't done so for any of my flashes on my msi boards...

ricercar
09-05-04, 12:06 PM
I've used Live Update for a few years on a nForce1 motherboard and a Ti4200 video card. It uses your net connection to compare version numbers of mb/video BIOS, MSI utilites, and MB/video drivers. If the MSI site has a newer version, the Live Update lets you review all updates on one page, and download + install the new version from one click.

This includes Windows-based BIOS upgrades, which I personally find too scary to use. I've always used a DOS floppy to update BIOS.

I find the BIOS updates informative, and the MSI utilities of curious value. Yet what finally made me de-install Live Update was that the MSI OEM versions of nForce and GeForce drivers are significantly behind (by ~6 months!) what you can download on the nvidia.com website, and the Live Update keeps telling you the newer nvidia.com drivers are out of date!