PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic tip screwdrivers

Tuork
09-05-04, 04:46 PM
Just a doubt I've been having....

Is it harmful in any way to use magnetic tip screwdrivers when assembling computers?

My doubt resides in the fact that most components are static sensitive. Can't remember much from physics, but wouldn't a magnetic field cause a similar effect?

jAkUp
09-05-04, 04:52 PM
I think they have a possiblity of damaging hard drives... but I really doubt you will have any problems. I have used magnetic tips, as well as the regular and they seem to all work fine

FierceDeityLink
09-05-04, 05:17 PM
With the BIOS having flash-ROM, wouldn't that make a difference? You just have to be careful. I know a lot of people who use power tools and nothing bad happens.

MOC
09-05-04, 05:27 PM
You are correct the better PC tools are so equiped .
The most important tool =Philips Screwdriver (Non-Magnetic)

It is important that the screwdriver not have a magnetic tip. Having a magnetized object inside of the computer case can damage some circuits or drives.Be aware of the damage a magnetic field can cause to magnetic storage devices such as floppy disks. Laying the screwdriver down on or near a floppy can damage the data on the disk. Fortunately, floppy disks aren't used that much anymore.

Riptide
09-05-04, 07:14 PM
It is unlikely to hurt anything if you are careful. I've seen them used many, many times with no apparent ill effects. Just be careful with them and don't put them close to things like hard disk drives. And ofcourse, don't drop the thing either. ;)

anzak
09-05-04, 08:16 PM
I always use magnetic tip screwdrivers while building and working on computers.

Pandora's Box
09-05-04, 08:37 PM
i wouldnt use one if i was u. might as well be on the safe side.

ynnek
09-05-04, 10:36 PM
LOL.. thats my favorite thing about "toolless" cases... no tools to drop! ;)

It is unlikely to hurt anything if you are careful. I've seen them used many, many times with no apparent ill effects. Just be careful with them and don't put them close to things like hard disk drives. And ofcourse, don't drop the thing either. ;)

CaptNKILL
09-05-04, 10:51 PM
I dont think magnets do anything to any hardware from the past 10 years... i put a rather large magnet on an old hard drive in my computer maintenance class a few years ago, and every time i put it back in the computer, it was exactly the same. No corruption, no BSOD, nothing... worked fine. Same goes for a floppy disk. A magnet did nothing to a floppy disk... they die faster just sitting unused :|

If a decent sized magnet doesnt do anything, a screwdriver magnet wont.

Also, ESD is also over rated... I was staticy when someone handed me a ram stick once and i actually saw the electricity arc from my finger to a ram chip and heard a small crack... the ram has worked just fine after that... no problems at all.

Im not saying ESD and magnets have no effect on computer parts, but ive tried to damage things like this, and havent done any damage what so ever.

anzak
09-05-04, 11:31 PM
Also, ESD is also over rated... I was staticy when someone handed me a ram stick once and i actually saw the electricity arc from my finger to a ram chip and heard a small crack... the ram has worked just fine after that... no problems at all.

That's insane! :scarey:

Lezmaka
09-05-04, 11:44 PM
This should answer the questions about magnets and ESD pretty well.

http://www.dansdata.com/gz009.htm

Riptide
09-06-04, 12:16 AM
I have seen floppy disks lose data after running a magnet over them. It can happen..

vampireuk
09-06-04, 07:24 AM
I use non magnetic screwdrivers, if the screw won't stay still I simply use some strange 3 pronged tweezers to hold it in place while I screw it in slightly :D

Tuork
09-06-04, 04:15 PM
Ah, nice to see some good feedback.

On the subject, I have always used magnetic tips for every single 'puter I've built. That is, mine 3 times, my parents, and 2 others.

Haven't had a single problem, but I just had the doubt on whether it was safe or not.

Come to think of it, my entire tool kit consists on ONE philips head screwdriver.
:D