PDA

View Full Version : So, should I install SP2?

Pages : [1] 2

Kain
09-06-04, 04:28 AM
Any problems people encountered? What benefits does it offer performance wise? Should I install it?

Kain
09-07-04, 05:11 AM
Anyone?

npras42
09-07-04, 07:01 AM
As far as I can tell the benefits are minimal. I like the built-in pop-up blocker in IE which works most of the time, and quite often when you dont want it to. Even so its quite nice. If you dont already run a 3rd party Firewall then perhaps give it a go if you dont want to install one seperately.

My best advice would be don't install unless you are doing a clean format. Its not that installing it without formatting will cause problems but rather, if you were to clean format there is no reason why you shouldn't install it.

Moot
09-07-04, 11:16 AM
Nero 6 said it was incompatible with this version of windows after installing service pack2. Although it still continued to work as far as I can tell. Also the windows home or Pro signification on boot seems to disappear. Lots of the new features are annoying but can be turned off. Like the security center, popup stopper, and turning off the download stopping feature in IE. I still would like to know how to get back your old download dialog box. I don’t want one with a big bulky “click here for help” section on it. Also running programs it can’t identify the manufacture will cause a prompt to be displayed before it will actually run. I think I was trying to install Kquery the first time I saw it. It would be nice to turn that off as well.

ricercar
09-07-04, 04:13 PM
SP2 broke my company's VPN. I had to reinstall XP Pro or go into the office....

saturnotaku
09-07-04, 11:34 PM
Nero 6 said it was incompatible with this version of windows after installing service pack2.

Ahead released an update to fix this. I'm running it with no issues to speak of.

cricket
09-09-04, 06:16 PM
HELLO, Here is webpage with some helpful info on the windowsxp service pack 2 compatability issues with some programs, I have updated to win ser 2 and have no issue's to my knowledge. I also liked the pop up block built into IE and the Firewall, although I already have a pop up blocker,that I purchased awhile ago that works great and keeps log's if so deired, and I also already have a "hardware firewall"(router). just look over the list on the linked page and see if any of these thing's may effect your system, otherwise service pack 2 is a safe update, and most likely required if you want to get anymore updates following this one.also note: some software that may have problems with win ser 2,may already have patches available, it is just a matter of checking for them. here is the link click here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2)

superklye
09-10-04, 01:08 AM
SP2 has caused nothing but problems here at Marquette. Students have valid IPs and everything is set correctly, yet they can get no internet connection whatsoever. The only fix is by uninstalling SP2.

Installing SP2 with massive spyware and virus infection leads to an infinite loop of restarting that won't even let you get into Safe Mode.

There are numerous compatibility issues with programs and I'm sure there are more that people don't know about.

The pop-up blocker is "meh" at best, I would say.

I dunno, I jsut don't think the hassles it causes are worth the miniscule benefits gained by installing it. But that's just me.

wshadow
09-10-04, 03:58 AM
fresh install of windows XP with sp1, install sp2, then drivers= the key...popup block is best ive seen so far:) :ORDER:

Son Goku
09-10-04, 04:09 AM
I haven't had any problems...

BTW, if one does a fresh install, forget installing SP1 first. SP2 is a cummulative patch, and contains all the fixes that were in SP1, as their service packs have tended too. If doing a fresh install, just skip to installing SP2.

rewt
09-11-04, 06:42 AM
I had XP Pro SP2. It was far better than previous versions of XP in my opinion.

superklye
09-12-04, 02:22 PM
I find the updated firewall to be more annoying and intrusive than Zone Alarm...and that's saying a LOT

MOC
09-20-04, 11:56 PM
I see nothing but problems with it (I have not installed it)
I think i'll wait for SP2a

Slyder
09-21-04, 07:23 AM
So, should I install SP2?

The question is, are you a gamer ?

If yes, then no
If no, then knock yourself out.

SP2 is just a list of security updates, (which can be installed seperatly from windows.com anyway) with the addition of there security center, which tbh do's nothing more then slow your computer down a little.

NightFire
09-21-04, 11:12 PM
I'm a gamer, albiet not a heavy one, and I've had no problems playing anything. There's no slowdown for me, and I can't think of anything that has been broken. Just my opinion, though.

EDLIM
09-22-04, 01:01 AM
I'm a gamer, albiet not a heavy one, and I've had no problems playing anything. There's no slowdown for me, and I can't think of anything that has been broken. Just my opinion, though.

Likewise, No problem here on my side.

remymarten
09-22-04, 12:04 PM
The only problem I've had with SP2 has been Fire Wall related. Since my router has a Fire Wall and I also use Zone Alarm, I just disabled the Windows Fire Wall. Since doing that I have not had any problems "yet".

john19055
10-04-04, 01:27 PM
If you have any old games you like to run that are 16bit then after you install SP2 you can't load them.After I updated to SP2 I can't load my old copy of halflife,Quake1 or 2 Sin, and some of my old driveing games,It has made my system very stable,but I have not found away to load these games even the compatability modes setting it for Win 95 used to work on some games before the SP2 patch but it does not work now.If anybody knows how to work around this problem besides not loading the SP2 patch I would appreciate the help.

deadite_9
10-27-04, 10:46 PM
i take it you installed sp2 on top of your existing install? i've had no problems (like most others) with older games and sp2, but i did a fresh install. q1 and q2 both installed (and play) fine. maybe you need to disable the security center, as it's fairly useless to anyone with more than just a few operating brain cells and/or firing synapses. go to control panel > administrative tools > services > security center, right click > stop, right click > properties, change startup type to "disabled," reboot, and voila. may or may not make a difference, though, i dunno. btw, you can also disable the windows firewall this way if you want. be careful if you decide to clean house and stop other services, though.

hth.

Peoples-Agent
10-31-04, 08:03 PM
I actually love what SP2 has done for XP , I purchased a copy of XP with it built in now, not really had any compatiability issues, and it can be a daunting pain in the arse .....but the pros far outweigh the cons, and it is a good long awaited upgrade.

If your willing to put the time and effort into configuring your pc with it installed, your get good results.

rewt
11-01-04, 08:06 AM

I share that opinion.

But I would not recommend updating to SP2 if you have had XP on your computer for a while (with lots of installed program files). I have heard so many people say it slows their computer down.

A slipstream SP2 install from scratch is "the" best way and will work much much faster.

superklye
11-01-04, 03:01 PM
I share that opinion.

But I would not recommend updating to SP2 if you have had XP on your computer for a while (with lots of installed program files). I have heard so many people say it slows their computer down.
That and spyware/viruses can put your computer into an endless reboot cycle requiring a complete reformat.

remymarten
11-01-04, 04:10 PM
So far for me I have only one really annoying problem with SP2. I had the same problem twice involveing Far Cry. When I tried to install the second patch (the one that was recalled), It would not install. I kept getting the message that Installashield was interruppted before completing and that no changes were made to the program. Also when I tried to uninstall the game I got the same message. Only after uninstalling SP2 was I able to aply the patch to Far Cry. Then I reinstalled SP2 and all seemed well. When the recent 1.03 patch for the game came out I tried to install it, and had the exact same problem. Once again removeing SP2 allowed me to install the new patch. I still have not figured what the conflict was.
I am open to all thoughts on the subject.

retsam
11-02-04, 03:20 AM
i have had very few problems with multiple installs ( on legacy and non legacy machines) at home. but at work its been a diffrent story... we were part of ms early adopters program. we were able to work out most of the problems with sp2 ( trust me it was a mess with the beta's)before it went gold. but i have found that many problems are at the driver level. as a gamer i have found very few games that have had a problem with sp2 most of the problems i have encountered have been driver issues...

rewt
11-03-04, 08:52 AM
So far for me I have only one really annoying problem with SP2. I had the same problem twice involveing Far Cry. When I tried to install the second patch (the one that was recalled), It would not install. I kept getting the message that Installashield was interruppted before completing and that no changes were made to the program. Also when I tried to uninstall the game I got the same message. Only after uninstalling SP2 was I able to aply the patch to Far Cry. Then I reinstalled SP2 and all seemed well. When the recent 1.03 patch for the game came out I tried to install it, and had the exact same problem. Once again removeing SP2 allowed me to install the new patch. I still have not figured what the conflict was.
I am open to all thoughts on the subject.

Thats because you haven't done a slipstream install. I have no problems installing anything on SP2