PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think makes the best 939 Chipset nforce3 Board?

gate1975mlm
09-06-04, 10:36 AM
Who do you think makes the best 939 Chipset nforce3 Board? I mean a board that has no big issues? I ask this because I heard boards like the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum have lots of problems! Even though it has gotten great reviews from people! I am king of confsed.

Riptide
09-06-04, 10:39 AM
Reviews are not, IMO, very trustworthy. I believe some reviewers get cherry picked boards that don't have the same problems some of the other units do.

If you are dead set on nforce3, the Neo2 is OK if you don't overclock. I would consider the gigabyte board instead but I can't speak from personal experience there. If it were my choice I'd get the Asus A8V.

gate1975mlm
09-06-04, 10:42 AM
Reviews are not, IMO, very trustworthy. I believe some reviewers get cherry picked boards that don't have the same problems some of the other units do.

If you are dead set on nforce3, the Neo2 is OK if you don't overclock. I would consider the gigabyte board instead but I can't speak from personal experience there. If it were my choice I'd get the Asus A8V.

I was thinking about getting the Asus A8V board. But then I read about how its a pain in the ass to install Sata drives compared to Nforce3 boards. Is it realy that big of a deal?

Riptide
09-06-04, 10:44 AM
If it uses the VIA VT8237 SATA controller then I don't see how people say that. It's been easy as cake to install a striped RAID0 array with my VIA K8T800 board.

PaiN
09-06-04, 10:50 AM
More difficult to install SATA drivers??....That's BS both controllers need a floppy to install drivers if you are going to run a SATA RAID..in fact the K8N Neo2(nf3) required two types of drivers be installed for the RAID to be seen and used by XP...I believe that was Riptides first headache the board gave him.....

Riptide
09-06-04, 10:51 AM
That's right PaiN, it did require two drivers now that I think about it. To be fair, that was indicated in the manual so in that case it was RTFM. ;)