PDA

View Full Version : Leadtek A400 Ultra TDH

Antares
09-07-04, 03:30 AM
For those interested - I just got word from Leadtek, who confirmed this: "The A400 Ultra used the 1.6 ns memory for the main design. GT edition was designed with 2.0ns memory."

One more thing about Leadtek A400 Ultra: the core frequency is 400 MHz by default and not 425 MHz as mentioned in some earlier reviews.

There were some rumors about Leadtek 6800 Ultra card using 2.0 ns memory. Well, they were not accurate. It is possible that some reviewers got some pre-release samples, but the main production of Leadtek A400 Ultra TDH has only 1.6 ns GDDR3. Of course, you know that guarantees 1.2 GHz effectice memory speed.

MUYA
09-07-04, 03:35 AM
i think nvidia rule sthat you have to use 1.6 ns memory for Ultras? Ie they package the baord with 1.6ns memory and the GPU. OEM's do not last time i heard manufacture their own geforce 6800 cards

Muppet
09-07-04, 03:48 AM
That`s awesome news, i was going to ask that question as i read the xbits article and they said the leadtek uses 1.6ns ddr3 memory.Is there any programs that you can get to check this out?

Antares
09-07-04, 04:29 AM
Yep, it's called "screwdriver.exe" :D.

The only way to check is to remove the HSF (with the help of a screwdriver, of course:)) from the core and memory chips and look for yourself. I know about xbitlabs article, that's where I also read about Ultra having 2.0ns memory. I guess the most accurate info is from the manufacturer only, that's why I asked Leadtek people a few questions.

They've also told me that the fan speed cannot be adjusted by the users, as in other manufacturers' cards. In a previous message, they confirmed me the average temps their Ultra card gets: 62-64 idle and around 80 while playing Doom 3. They got the same temps as I do. I ran rthdribl for quite a time and the core temp never went higher than 86-87 Celsius. Well within the specs, as most people report 90 degrees for the core upon running rthdribl for one hour or so.

To my knowledge, there isn't any program to tell you the type of the memory used by the card. Yet again, I might be wrong :).

Antares
09-07-04, 04:33 AM
Yes Muya, this could be a possibility - that nVidia requires to OEMs to stick to the blueprints as far as some components are concerned (ie memory chips).

grimreefer
09-07-04, 11:51 AM
well ant, did u get the card?

MUYA
09-07-04, 07:49 PM
Yes Muya, this could be a possibility - that nVidia requires to OEMs to stick to the blueprints as far as some components are concerned (ie memory chips).

I think u missed the point. No OEM's make their own NV40 boards yet! That's the key as NVIDIA make (thru outsourcing to I think Foconn?) Why would NV break their own rules on memory pairing with Ultra GPUS and ship Ultras with 2 ns memory..which means they would have to ship products...with overclocked memory to get it at 1.1ghz. Makes sense ya?

Antares
09-08-04, 03:54 AM
Now I got it! You're perfectly right - I didn't know all the cards were made by nVidia. That's why articles like that one from xbitlabs on Leadtek A400 Ultra seem very weird.

So, all that OEMs have to do is mount the coolers, make the cardboard box and thrown in the software bundle, huh?

H3avyM3tal
09-08-04, 04:29 AM
no. i think, oems buy the cards from the AIB partners.

MUYA
09-08-04, 08:02 PM
Now I got it! You're perfectly right - I didn't know all the cards were made by nVidia. That's why articles like that one from xbitlabs on Leadtek A400 Ultra seem very weird.

So, all that OEMs have to do is mount the coolers, make the cardboard box and thrown in the software bundle, huh?

yeah ok whatever super sacarsm man

When I meant NV, i didn't mean by themselves but they outsource production to companies maybe like Foxconn etc

But don't u think it would ratehr pointless bundling a ultra GPU with 2 ns memory and then retailing them by overclockign them by 100mhz and then possibly getting loads of users miffed with stabilty problems, heat issues etc? It''s ratehr obvious Ultras retail wouldn't be shipped with 2 ns modules going by NVIDIA's own final specs

AiB's is right..thast what i meant to say liek ASUS, Gigabyte, Galaxy, Inno3d etc and not OEMs.

Kyum
09-08-04, 11:58 PM
sorry but your wrong.The leadtek ultras did not come with 1.6ns memory.Xbit labs is not wrong.Check WWW.hardocp.com and as owners of that card and they will tell you. :ORDER:

Antares
09-13-04, 05:36 AM
Hey Kyum, that's the word from Marketing Department at Leadtek. I know about xbitlabs article, that's why I was pointing directly at them.

I didn't remove the hsf because I didn't want to loose the warranty... Of course, that may be the best way to check what type of memory Leadtek use for the 6800 Ultra.

Just like you, I don't see any good reason for nVidia to use 2.0ns memory chips on Ultra design and then to overclock the memory. As this could generate too many instability problems.

I was only joking about "screwdriver.exe", I hope I didn't offend anyone here :angel2:. If so, I apologize :).

After all, I think that's a nice program "name" and I could use it to remove the hsf... still I'm not convinced yet it's worth the trouble.

mustrum
09-13-04, 06:27 AM
I'd never pay so much more for a 400mhz ULTRA. Who knows if all of them can do 425mhz? Might as well go for a GT and OC it to 400mhz then. Especially when other brands sell 425mhz clocked cards for the same price.
:lame: