PDA

View Full Version : CPU is way too hot

superklye
09-07-04, 07:08 PM
I finally got my RAM RMAed and the replacement stuff came today. I popped it in, ran Memtest86 for almost three hours without an error then ran Prime95 for about an hour just to see if it would last (the old RAM crapped out after about 2 minutes) and it ran without a problem.

Well, I've got my 2600 at 10x200 @1.775vcore. My temps are idling around 59-64C and the room temp is like 72F. When I had it OCed before, it would be like 52ish when idling...this is making me kinda nervous.

Do you guys think it's just because I ran the tests and even though about 40 minutes have passed, the fact that I'm encoding DVDs and putzing online, it's keeping the CPU hot?

Sazar
09-07-04, 07:30 PM
what is your cpu utilization in that 40 minute period?

leave taskmanager up and look @ the utilization...

if you are encoding than it may well be contributing to the heat... surfing the web does not really take much cpu cycles...

superklye
09-07-04, 07:34 PM
It was right around 100%

But between finishing Prime95 and starting encoding, there was probably 20 minutes or so and the temp was still hovering around 59 even though the most I was doing was running Outlook and AIM or IE and AIM

Sazar
09-07-04, 07:49 PM
aim is a mem hog but I dunno how many cpu cycles it takes up...

just leave taskmanager up with the cpu utilization graph to show you whats going on... perhaps change teh interval for sampling to a little longer in order to get an idea of performance over a longer period of time... but not too long (perhaps low?)

superklye
09-08-04, 11:49 AM
Nope, nothing utilizing the CPU more than like 10% on the whole (including all Windows services running)...it is just running 10C hotter due to the .125 increase in the vcore. That just seems so much higher than before when I had it OCed. My room is like 72F right now and with the AC on, it's at 74, but the computer always seems to be so much cooler with the AC on, no matter how chilly my room is (to a certain degree of course).

I guess I'll just have to get some more fans or something. It still pisses me off that my friend Tim has a 2500+ OCed to 2.2GHz and has the SLK-800A and a generic 80mm fan on his CPU and he idles around 42C no matter what the room temp is apparently whereas I have the SLK-900A, AS5 and an 80mm fan along with 5 other case fans and I'm idling at 54-56 now.

superklye
09-15-04, 09:38 AM
Wow, this is sweet. I upped the multiplier to 11 to get me to 2.2GHz and I ran Prime95 all night.

I've got a stable 3200+ @ 1.675v. :) w00t!

mustrum
09-15-04, 10:38 AM
How's the temperature now? For really good overclocks you need to stick below 55 degrees. My 2500+ runs at 2.34ghz 1.725vcore atm. Load Temp is 52 degrees. I can do 2.4ghz but i have to use high RPM on my fan then to stick to that temperature. If i hit 60 degrees prime fails.
Too loud for me so 2.34ghz itz is. :D

superklye
09-15-04, 11:47 AM
I installed those temp-lowering drivers and now with the AC on, I idle around 41-45 (depending on whether one of my roommates has messed with the temperatute or not) and after a long session of Doom 3, I'm usually at 57.

Running Prime95 last night, the temp reached 72 or 73 though...that's a bit ridiculous: almost 30C higher than the idle temp!

Riptide
09-15-04, 01:21 PM
Anything over about 55-60 gives me the willies. :)

FastM
09-15-04, 01:41 PM
I installed those temp-lowering drivers and now with the AC on, I idle around 41-45 (depending on whether one of my roommates has messed with the temperatute or not) and after a long session of Doom 3, I'm usually at 57.

Running Prime95 last night, the temp reached 72 or 73 though...that's a bit ridiculous: almost 30C higher than the idle temp!

When it did hit those temps did you touch your heatsink? does it really feel that hot?

For you to be hitting those overclocks something sounds fishy about your temps.

superklye
09-15-04, 02:34 PM
When it did hit those temps did you touch your heatsink? does it really feel that hot?

For you to be hitting those overclocks something sounds fishy about your temps.

I was asleep when it hit those temps and even if I wasn't, I wouldn't be touching my heatsink.

What seems so fishy? The BIOS, SiSandra and MBM all say that my CPU is at 41-45 idle and 57 or so load while playing Doom 3. And what is so hard to believe about the temps? The vcore is only .025 higher than stock and yeah, while the multiplier and core speed are much higher, I don't think it would be that much of a difference.

Besides, as I have said, the AC is on and that makes a huge difference. When the AC is off the room is humid and in the upper 70s-80s, my CPU idles around 54 or so.

EDIT: My friend Tim has a 2500+ OCed to 3200+ @ 1.85v and his temps are in the mid-40s at load and he's using the same heatsink (SLK-900A) as me along with AS5 and a generic 80mm 2400RPM fan. Maybe he's got better airflow in his case though.