PDA

View Full Version : when a 6800 GT BIOS flashing goes bad..... (help!)

Pages : [1] 2 3

ozziegn
09-07-04, 08:41 PM
okay, so I was flashing a buddy of mine's GT and something went wrong and now his GT is dead. I normally do this on my machine which is battery back up protected but of course this time I did it on his machine and low and behold, I freakin' got a power glitch when the damn BIOS was updating. :(

can someone clue me in on how I can do the whole blind flash thing? I have no access to a PCI video card so that isnt an option.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Banko
09-07-04, 09:04 PM
Well, you can buy a pci video card in best buy and return it.

Pandora's Box
09-07-04, 09:07 PM
boy i bet he is pissed. yeah step 1 is to get a pci card.

ozziegn
09-07-04, 09:11 PM
okay, let me repeat myself again.

a PCI card is not an option.

I've read where people have done blind flashing but of course I cant find any info now that I need it.

saturnotaku
09-07-04, 09:16 PM
I say everyone here should remain silent, it's the only way people will learn.

Tool99
09-07-04, 09:23 PM
Why would you flash a good thing? :rolleyes:

oOV1rU5|NV35Oo
09-07-04, 09:29 PM
hmm.. why isn't a PCI card an option?? if you have a pci slot (in ur pc or his) which I'm sure you do, just go to best buy, buy one, use it to flash the 6800gt bios, and then return it .. pci cards aren't expensive. beside, you will get ur money back.. it's as easy as that..

also, AFAIK, pci card is the only option if you've done a faulty flash :)

pharma
09-07-04, 09:30 PM
Go to the site below. They have a good forum and some docs that might help you. :)

http://www.mvktech.net

ozziegn
09-07-04, 09:46 PM
I say everyone here should remain silent, it's the only way people will learn.

and I say that you should STFU!

I've done this tons of times on my machine which is UPS protected but of course it had to happen on someone elses' machine that wasnt on battery back up protection.

Jesus man, why do you bother posting USELESS SH*T when someone is in need of some help. :mad:

saturnotaku
09-07-04, 09:56 PM
I've done this tons of times on my machine which is UPS protected but of course it had to happen on someone elses' machine that wasnt on battery back up protection.

That has nothing to do with it. You screwed something up, now you're left with a $400 paperweight. If you blanked out my top-end card, I'd shove it so far up your rear end you wouldn't know what hit you. Next time, try leaving well enough alone. :lol2:

pharma
09-07-04, 10:06 PM
Ozziegn,

Don't feed the trolls! They really aren't worth it and there are other people here who are more knowledgable who might be able to help ...

Tool99
09-07-04, 10:07 PM
Sounds like you've got all the answers you need...go buy the PCI card.

ozziegn
09-07-04, 10:11 PM
this is great...

I've gotten mutiple replies on using a PCI card that I DO NOT HAVE and I've gotten one reply from the local village idiot and yet I still have yet to have someone help me out.

Christ's sakes... :rolleyes:

Tool99
09-07-04, 10:20 PM
You also got your damn answer from the HardOCP forums - get going! http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=805262 (spit)

oogie
09-07-04, 10:21 PM
this is great...

I've gotten mutiple replies on using a PCI card that I DO NOT HAVE

I maybe wrong but, I thought you CANNOT boot without video card unless you are running FreeBSD or Linux.

If you can't boot then I guess you can't do anything.

Sorry for the problem you are having.

pharma
09-07-04, 10:21 PM
Try a google search on "blind flash video card". You'll come up with instructions and other some things that might help.

ozziegn
09-07-04, 10:29 PM
You also got your damn answer from the HardOCP forums - get going! http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=805262 (spit)

ok Sherlock...

he told me about the EVGA blind flashing tool but didnt post a link to where I can get it. so I've been waiting for him to reply back with a link or two.

I went to their site and didnt see jack.

good Lord, I never knew how helpfull this forum could really be up until now. :rolleyes:

Tool99
09-07-04, 11:14 PM
seriously though, I want you to successfully flash...please report back with news. :clap:

Phalinx
09-07-04, 11:59 PM
ozziegn,

Read this thread. It may give you an idea how to do a blind flash.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=75221&perpage=10&pagenumber=13

cheers

Phalinx

ricercar
09-08-04, 12:08 AM
1) Ignore those who are intentionally unhelpful.
2) Ignore those who didn't read your post and suggest a PCI card.
3) Make a boot floppy.
4) Save the good rom called GOOD.ROM on the floppy.
5) Save NVFLASH.EXE on the floppy.
6) Execute nvflash /? from the command line. Read it so you understand the following step.
7) Make an autoexec.bat file with the following command:
nvflash -f good.rom -u -p -2 -y
8) Boot the 6800 card's computer with this floppy.
9) Pray.

Sgt_Pitt
09-08-04, 12:08 AM
ahh well thats what you get for playing with something you know nothing about. and dont say you do, cause you obviously dont.you play with fire you get burnt.

There is numerous threads in this forum about newbies who think flashing their newest vid cards will give them some kind of increase in performance, when in actual fact, well as you can see by this poor fellow....... :rolleyes:

3 rules for flashing your vid card

1. Dont flash it unless there is something wrong with the card
2. Only use official Bios' posted on your manufacturers home page.
3. Get someone who knows what they are doing to do it :P

ricercar
09-08-04, 12:11 AM
Lighten up folks, NVNEWS is for _helping_ people, right? WTF is this throwing people to the wolves all about?

I've had bad flashes before, and I generally know what I'm doing. Even experts **** up some times. We all have. Let the person without sin cast the next stone.

Sgt_Pitt
09-08-04, 12:17 AM
yes we all screw up.

it also helps to research what your doing and get to know a program like nvflash before blindly running off and doing it, instead of trying to learn nvflash after the fact, in which case your already hot and bothered and have a freind whos breathing over your shoulder cursing and wanting instant results :P

been through it before :D

oh and by the way im not throwing him to the wolves, im trying to pevent more threads like this from popping up.

SuP|2A
09-08-04, 04:40 AM
Just an observation in ozziegn's defence I hardly think a random power glitch classifies as a 'screw up' or signifies in any way that he didn't know what he was doing.

It could happen to anyone.

- SuP|2A

jimmor
09-08-04, 05:08 AM
this is great...

I've gotten mutiple replies on using a PCI card that I DO NOT HAVE and I've gotten one reply from the local village idiot and yet I still have yet to have someone help me out.

Christ's sakes... :rolleyes:

A blind flash can only work if your mobo/computer will boot with only a defective AGP graphics card fitted ??

Which is why the recommended method is to fit a PCI card, and set mobo bios to boot to it !