PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything special you have to do to move a hard drive to a Mac?

sonaboy
09-07-04, 11:12 PM
Or will the OS just format automatically to the way it needs to be?
I'm moving a Western Digi hard drive from a PC over to a Mac, but since it's not empty, i'm wondering if it will cause probs for the Mac when i connect it.

anyone ever done that, without using a brand new HD to install in a Mac?

LiquidX
09-07-04, 11:25 PM
Is this drive going to be a 2nd drive where as the Mac already has a hd with an OS? If so it should detect it has a storage. If not and your installing a it as the primary hd the Mac OS you put on should format it for you.

sonaboy
09-07-04, 11:49 PM
Thank you, just wanted to make sure before i accidentally took a whole machine down that was already having trouble.

ricercar
09-08-04, 12:55 AM
You'll need to format it for HFS+ with the Macintosh application "HD Setup." Other than that, there's no problems with an IDE/ATA drive on a Mac.

If the drive is formatted in FAT, you may get the existing file system recognized, but you can't boot MacOS off a FAT partition. For example, a FAT16 firewire drive works for using my MP3 library on my Macs and Windows boxen.

The days when a non-Apple drive wasn't recognized are thankfully gone with Apple's switch from SCSI to ATA drives.