PDA

View Full Version : Logitech MX700

StealthHawk
11-04-02, 03:10 PM
is $50 a good price for the Logitech MX700?

thcdru2k
11-04-02, 07:27 PM
unless it can replace your keyboard no

fastguy94416
11-04-02, 10:00 PM
well... do you really want a wireless mouse? is it worth foregoeing a new game, or 1/3 of a new mobo?

StealthHawk
11-05-02, 06:13 AM
well, right now i have a wired non-optical mouse. when the ball gets dirty every so often it gets annoying.

thcdru2k
11-05-02, 08:41 AM
i'd definately go grab a optical mouse. even the cheapo $5-10 ones are amazing. if you got $50 to burn, than get a logitech mx700. but i don't have issues using cheapo non-wireless mouse.

SnakeEyes
11-05-02, 08:47 AM
A brief summary for those that don't like reading long-winded posts:
Cords on corded mice have a tendency to tangle with stuff when playing frantic games. Balls in ball-mice get dirty, and more often as time goes on. Optical corded mice take care of the more irritating of the two issues. Corded optical has been what is imo the holy grail of mice for a while now, but until this point have tended to be laggy / imprecise in actual implementation, due to battery-saving features. Since the average price of a good optical mouse with extra buttons and such has been around $50 - $70 in the recent past, and since the MX700 actually finally allows the realization of a working, usable implementation combining cordless and optical technologies, in a very comfortable good-looking package, and throws in easy rechargability (all but eliminating batteries dying in the middle of a game), $70 is actually very reasonable for it. Finding one for $50 is a steal.

For those that don't mind reading how I came to those conclusions (and keep in mind that this is specifically MY justification. Different people have different wants and needs, but I find it hard to believe that most don't share at least one of my gripes.. :p), read on:

The reasons I think it's worth it are probably mostly based on the fact that I game a LOT, and most importantly, I play first person shooter games mostly. Because of that:

Corded ball-mice:
The first one I had that I really liked (for a while) was the Logitech First Mouse+, basically a more comforably styled (imo) version of the first MS mouse with a third button / scroll wheel. This was before optical mice were really on the market though. My computer desk has a keyboard tray (the kind that pivots / tilts / slides) and the mouse cord occasionally got caught up on one of the adjustment knobs, which during furious fragging, isn't necessarily a good thing either. Besides that, since my PC sits on the floor, the cable seemed to all the time be brushing my legs (okay, so it's quibbling, but that was irritating in a different way at times). My first replacement for it was the Logitech cordless scrolling mouse (the egg-shaped white model that was also sold as part of their first cordless desktop).

Cordless ball-mice:
The cordless Logitech mouse (with a ball) was pretty good overall. Response might've been a bit off of the equivalent corded model, but not enough for me to really notice. Besides, it was still prior to optical mice, so for a while I put up with what was then a Fact Of Life (er, for PC gamers)- mouse balls get dirty. In fact, it took a while and quite a bit of use for the first cleaning to become a necessity. Problem was, once it got dirty and you cleaned it, subsequent cleanings seemed to be necessary more and more often (how come they get dirty faster and faster, even when you take the time to completely disasseble the mouse for a thorough cleaning?:eek: ). Hey, but it was a fact of life for a while. One other minor issue, but a quibble just the same- batteries DO die. Most often right in the middle of a match. Still, the tradeoff between the irritating tangling / caressing of a cord or the need to replace batteries once in a while made it worth it. Then came the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer..

Corded optical mice:
Okay, by this time I was finding the need to clean a ball a bit more irritating than even the tangling / lovesick cord. Up until the MS Intellimouse Explorer, it was just something to live with if you wanted to use a mouse. At least I had one of two nuisances out of the way, right? Well, I bought the Explorer, and owned it for all of a day before I returned it. I loved the optical sensor, with its lack of a need for cleanings, but the mouse was just uncomfortable for me during use. (I don't have small hands, but I tend to use mostly my fingertips to move / control my mouse, while resting the base of my palm on the work surface. The Explorer didn't fit well with that, so back to the store it went, optical or not..). I stuck it out with the Logitech cordless a bit longer, until MS released the Intellimouse Optical, at a lower price than the Explorer, and in a smaller size, but still with the same overall features (optical, 5 button, scroller..). I bought one to try it out, and that became my favorite for a long time. I was back to dealing with a cord that seemed to want to make out with my leg or tie itself around the keyboard tray knob, but that issue was more bearable than frequent cleanings of the mouse ball (or more importantly frequent lack of control in my games from the suddenly dirty ball). Then Logitech came out with the Cordless Optical and Dual Optical mice..

Cordless Optical:
Basically, the first Logitech Cordless Optical was another failed experiment, imo. I bought it, and returned it even quicker than I had the Intellimouse Explorer. The shape and size were perfect, as was the concept (hooray! Finally no cord AND no ball.). Unfortunately, the execution left much to be desired. Chief problem- in an effort to save battery power (the optical sensor / light use juice, unlike a ball setup), the mouse had a lower report rate than standard ball cordless mice, as well as the tendency to put itself in sleep mode at the most minute pause in movement. This caused major lag from movement to response on-screen, as well as a sort of 'jumpy' feel to the mouse during move-pause-move actions, making accurate aiming (very important, doncha know) almost impossible on the first attempt. Back to the store in just over an hour.. I was back to the MS Intellimouse Optical for a few months, until the Dual Optical hit the market. It was still corded, and it was still optical, but it had that ideal shape that I liked about the Cordless Optical, as well as a second (higher resolution) optical sensor. Even more accurate and sensitive than the Intellimouse, and didn't suffer from the loss of tracking on rapid movements either. This was my new favorite, for all of maybe 6 months. Because that's when Logitech put the subject of this topic on the market, and I read some reviews of said item..

Cordless Optical, revisited:
I gotta admit. I was pretty skeptical that this mouse would be any different from previous attempts at combining the two features. Then I read review after review that contradicted what I expected. Still, I didn't place much faith in those reviews, because after all, even the first Cordless Optical recieved similar reviews. So I didn't exactly trust the reviews. That is, I wasn't even ready to take a chance on the mouse until I saw a couple reviews mention the USB report rate with the new mouse. 125Hz. Same as a standard corded mouse. Double previous cordless optical models. Hmm.. I ordered one, figuring I'd ship it back if it was all hype. Nope. Not hype. Finally, a mouse that works as well as my corded opticals (no cleaning still, yippee!!), but without the cord (alright!), and as a bonus, a receiver that doubles as a recharging station when the mouse isn't in use.(wow. I hadn't even considered a rechargable mouse- I DID use rechargeable batteries, but would usually take them out for charging only once they were drained, leaving the mouse useless until they finished charging back up. The use of NimH batteries, which are memory free, along with the ability to leave them in the mouse when charging, and simply Dock the mouse overnight to top 'em up, is just, well.. it's simply a genious idea).

As I posted in my topic on the MX700, it's what I now consider nearly the perfect mouse. Why nearly? Well, using the only version of Logitech Mouseware that properly recognizes the MX700 (allowing the buttons to be assigned different functionality, among other things), the scrollwheel acts quirky in games. Not quirky as older Logitech mice with Mouseware, where the wheel either was seen and worked fine or wasn't, but quirky as in it's there, but if you're moving the mouse, it AIN'T (queens English, or so this WV hick was once told.. ;)) gonna do squat. Stop moving the mouse for a few seconds, and the wheel magically starts working. It's only in my games though. On the desktop the wheel works fine regardless of what motion or lack of it the mouse is going through. Drop to an older version of software (or more conveniently, as the functionality is basically the same, use the standard MS WindowsXP installed drivers without Mouseware), and the wheel works perfectly in games, but buttons seem to disappear. (Um, not really, as I found after some experimentation, all the buttons but the app-switch still work, but only with the original default functions- ie, page forward, page back in web browsers, scroll down / scroll up in anything. No programmability.)

I've contacted Logitech on this issue, since it's obvious (based on the symptoms and testing results) that it's software, and not hardware, at fault. Surprisingly, I received a reply back almost immediately. (BTW, this is an area that I have to give MS kudos in- they actually have more than an e-mail address for their support, as in an ACTUAL TELEPHONE NUMBER). The ts said that this was a known issue and is being addressed in the very next release of Mouseware (um, they update pretty frequently anyway, as any of you that own Logitech hardware can probably attest), and to keep checking the site. Version 9.73 is the version that shipped with my mouse, and is also the current downloadable (hence buggy) version. As soon as Logitech does as their tech support promised and fixes the scrollwheel issue, there'll be no more nearly to my description of this mouse as the perfect mouse. Everything else is there, and even at close to $70, which is what I paid, it's a great deal. At $50, it's practically thievery, especially given the price of lesser, inferior competition currently on the market.

Dazz
11-06-02, 04:44 AM
I have seen it for 45 which is pretty considering Logitech UK sells theirs for 60 quid!

wb22gprix
11-06-02, 05:04 PM
50 bucks is a great price for an MX700. I recently got my MX500 for that price :)

I'm just not fond of wireless mice...

SnakeEyes
11-06-02, 06:41 PM
I wasn't either, until I got this one. Mainly for the reasons I listed above. I have wanted to get rid of the cord for a while now, but none of the cordless models up until now have had the accuracy and responsiveness of the corded opticals I've been using. The MX700's the first one to actually get it right. :)

The Baron
11-06-02, 07:02 PM
MSRP is $80, so it's an excellent price.

Gonna buy one once I get a mobo that doesn't die when you have a USB mouse connected to it directly instead of a powered USB hub (only one I have is through my monitor, and that's only on when my monitor's on).

Speaking of that... does the recharging station plug in to the wall? So you could recharge the batteries without drawing any power from the box, perhaps?

SnakeEyes
11-07-02, 10:55 AM
Actually, you can probably use this mouse with your current motherboard (and no additional USB powered hub). There IS a power plug, but it connects to the usb end of the cable for the mouse. There USB connects to the USB port, and the power cable plugs into the back of the connector (beside the usb cable from the base). I haven't tried charging the mouse without the system turned on (mine's on 24/7 right now), but I don't see why that wouldn't work. Anyway, as far as I can tell, all power for the part connected to the USB port (which is basically the receiver / charging base) is drawn from the power outlet, so that the USB port itself is only for data. :)

The Baron
11-07-02, 05:06 PM
Nah, can't--this mobo (or the KT266 chipset), the MSI 6380, apparently blows up when you use a USB mouse connected directly to the mobo. Hard lock from anywhere between 5 to 10000 minutes. :p

Not dependant on mouse usage, just random... :mad: But I digress. I still want an MX700. :p

fastguy94416
11-07-02, 05:08 PM
find a usb to ps2 converter?

SnakeEyes
11-07-02, 11:23 PM
The MX700 works best on the USB port (from my own messing around with it), but it comes with a USB -> PS2 adapter, so it CAN be used that way at no extra charge.

As far as other options go, I'd look for a cheap USB hub. I've seen some in Wal-Mart for less than $15 recently (normally around $20, but still pretty cheap).

The Baron
11-07-02, 11:53 PM
But I'm cheap, and using the USB hub on my monitor works :p You just can't use the mouse when the monitor is off... which I guess is a problem with this mouse, so if I buy it before i get a new mobo, I'll get a hub. :p

But right now, I'm just too cheap... and this red mouse looks so damn badass. ;)

Smokey
11-08-02, 07:37 AM
If you have the right desk, corded mice dont ever cause problems in fast games ;) The one think that I really dont like about cordless mice, is the extra wieght from the batteries!

SnakeEyes
11-08-02, 08:33 AM
I think you hit the one drawback some people might find with the MX700 right on the nose there, Smokey. I love it and don't mind the weight, but it IS probably 2x or more heavier than my Dual Optical corded mouse is. The MX500 is probably the best mouse for people with the right desk ;) and / or that don't like heavier mice.