PDA

View Full Version : vertical sync doesn't work?

oakleaf00
09-08-04, 11:46 AM
Hi all,

I just installed my Gainward 6800GT in my rig (replaced my 9800 pro) and can't seem to get vertical sync to work in Enemy Territory. I've tried forcing it in the drivers (both in the Global setting and the Enemy Territory profile) and in the game itself. However, the framerates are up around 90 (I have a Samsung 710T set at 60Hz) and I'm seeing tearing. I didn't have this issue when I had the 9800 pro. Is there something I need to do to make sure vert sync works?

Thanks!

PS It seems to work in Doom 3 since my framerates are around 60 with some drops straight down to 30.

PPS My 9800 pro had triple buffering - is it available with the nvidia drivers?

jimmor
09-08-04, 02:59 PM
Hi all,

PPS My 9800 pro had triple buffering - is it available with the nvidia drivers?

Triple buffering is available in nvidia drivers but only for OpenGL.

You can enable it with Nvhardpage v2.

superklye
09-08-04, 03:01 PM
I thought V-sync was bad and you DIDN'T want it?

kyleb
09-08-04, 03:59 PM
first off, i think the vsyc toggle in et is broken; but to turn it on simply set r_swapinterval to 1.

superklye, Vsyc made for image quality as it alows your monitor to draw each complete frame before moving on to the next one. However, it with only a double buffer your card has to wait your monitor finish with the frame in the front buffer before it can start drawing a new frame on the back buffer. Triple buffering adds another buffer for the card to work on instead of sitting idle. So vsync can be bad as it will make lows in framerate worse, triple buffering fixes that.

jimmor, thanks for the tip on Nvhardpage v2, i'll check that out. Also, nvidia cards do triple buffering in d3d but ony at the aplication's request.

oakleaf00
09-08-04, 04:19 PM
Triple buffering is available in nvidia drivers but only for OpenGL. You can enable it with Nvhardpage v2.

Thanks, jimmor - I'll try that

I thought V-sync was bad and you DIDN'T want it?

No, no, no. vert sync is good (at least for me with my LCD) because I don't like the tearing. Yes, there is a downside in that the framerates can't be anything between 60 and 30 fps (w/o triple buffering), but with my 6800GT, it's not an issue since it's pretty much always at the 60 fps level.

first off, i think the vsyc toggle in et is broken; but to turn it on simply set r_swapinterval to 1.

I didn't realize that the toggle didn't work - thx. But why doesn't the nvidia driver override it anyways? I turned vert sync on using both the in-game toggle and the ATI control panel (w/ my old 9800 pro) and it worked. I don't know which one did it, but it worked (albeit, it was usually only between 30-40 fps w/ triple buf)
Either way, I'll try the console command to see if that works. Thanks!

kyleb
09-08-04, 04:35 PM
I don't know why you can't force et to use vsyc by the nvidia control panel, but I do know the console command works.

Unfortunatly, Nvhardpage v2 doesn't give me triple buffering; it has an option but from what it says the "info" section on it I don't think whoever wrote it even knows what triple buffering is, let alone how to enable it.

jimmor
09-08-04, 06:00 PM
yes it appears the ability to have triple buffering with Nvidia cards/drivers has been discussed and discarded before in this forum,

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=405836&postcount=1

oakleaf00
09-08-04, 06:57 PM
yes it appears the ability to have triple buffering with Nvidia cards/drivers has been discussed and discarded before in this forum,

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=405836&postcount=1

jimmor, when I click on the link, I get a 1 post thread titled: "modded forceware drivers here!!!! " I'm assuming that isn't the one you're referring to. Can you give another link, or the title of the thread (and I can do a search)? Much appreciated!

jimmor
09-08-04, 07:17 PM
jimmor, when I click on the link, I get a 1 post thread titled: "modded forceware drivers here!!!! " I'm assuming that isn't the one you're referring to. Can you give another link, or the title of the thread (and I can do a search)? Much appreciated!

my mistake, I copied post 1, rather than the thread !

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35093

Its just a small thread which includes comments on non availability of OGL triple buffering in drivers !

I have read other articles that state Nvidia for technical reasons has no intention of ever including OGL triple buffering in drivers. But obviously only Nvidia can comment on this.

Read other articles on dissapointment by nvidia card users where because it is not avail from nvidia cards they went back to ATI card which has it with their card/drivers.

It appears more people with 60Hz TFT monitors and nvidia cards are generally complaining because of tearing in displays with vsync set at off. They want to have vsync on, but with normal double buffering the hit on performance is too high. Best compromise is triple buffering, if only it were available.

Maybe Nvidia will some day wake up to customers demands, and thus include option in future driver ???

EDIT:

And, unfortunately the bottom line is, that as it is currently not supported by nvidia drivers, the nvhardpage option for it will achieve nothing !!

oakleaf00
09-09-04, 02:05 AM
I don't know why you can't force et to use vsyc by the nvidia control panel, but I do know the console command works.

That did it! Thanks!

jimmor -thx for the links. I guess we'll just have to do without triple buffering. At the moment, my framerates are ok without tp. Maybe by the time I need it, nvidia will decide to implement it in the drivers...:wonder: