PDA

View Full Version : trying to get a new CARd..Need Your openions guys

havox
09-08-04, 10:54 AM
I'm so confused I got an athlon 64 3200 rig but didnt get a vidcard yet!
from what I read in benchmark! they all have good avrafge FPS! but they all suck at minimum fps!! like all go down to 25! that sux:\

Dont know what to buy..should I wait? is there any thing better coming up?
all I care about is the minimum FPS from my experiances with gamings that what count!

Nandro
09-08-04, 11:31 AM
Without a budget to work with or anything I would say get the 6800 Ultra extreme if you can find it. If not the 6800 Ultra OC or golden sample, if not an Ultra, and so on down the line.

hypertek
09-08-04, 11:49 AM
i spent the cash on a 6800 gt since i jsut sold a carbon fiber bumper for my car ($200) and i was gonna drop $200 for a video card so I just thought Id put em together and shell out for the 6800...

For teh bargian tho, Id wait for teh 6600 GT aroun $200, or the PCI express model, since everywhere says its gonna replace agp in a year and become the new standard...

SH64
09-08-04, 12:02 PM
All you need is a good video card .. because the better the performance , the higher the minimum framerate will be ;)

so first tell us whats your budget & what games you play & willing to play with the new video card ?.. then i can recommend you something .

Pantherman
09-08-04, 07:49 PM
I'm using a 6800 GT with both of my systems, and it's great. I think it's the best deal on the market until the 6600 GT is released.

havox
09-09-04, 09:21 PM
Hi, I play Doom3, farcry, CS source, UT2004, Unrealtournament, quake, max pain, battlefield

can afford top cards, but are they worth it? will I buy it now & lose its value?
heard NV50 is coming out, any one know's when?

I dont like the mini fps of the ultra & X800 xt :\

All you need is a good video card .. because the better the performance , the higher the minimum framerate will be ;)

so first tell us whats your budget & what games you play & willing to play with the new video card ?.. then i can recommend you something .

kahloq
09-09-04, 09:43 PM
Hi, I play Doom3, farcry, CS source, UT2004, Unrealtournament, quake, max pain, battlefield

can afford top cards, but are they worth it? will I buy it now & lose its value?
heard NV50 is coming out, any one know's when?

I dont like the mini fps of the ultra & X800 xt :\

NV50 will not be comming anytime soon. NV48, which is a refresh of the nv40 is slated for late q4, 2004. Whether they make that or not, can't say yet.

Minimum fps is going to be controlled in some fashion by specific drivers. For nvidia, there are a slew of past beta drivers and newer ones released or leaked like every week or so. If the min fps is too low, try a different driver set for the game your wanting to play.

You didnt tell us what you currently have for a vid card. But even if its top end LAST generation, Nvidia's 6800 gt/Ultra is twice the speed....meaning 100% faster. For isntance......average 3dmark03 score on a fx 5950 was about 6000-7000. Now, for the 6800 Ultra...average scores are 12500-13500. Thats just an indication:) Also, AGP isnt going anywhere for the next 2-3 years. Both Nvidia and ATI have stated that they will continue to produce AGP parts for the foreseeable future. PCI-express is still infant stages and theres NO advantage YET in real world performance as shown by various tests and benchmarks which has been linked to on the front page of nvnews.com at various times.

havox
09-11-04, 12:37 AM
I meant the newer cards GT Ultra + X800 XT got low MInimum FPS in all games, I've seen so many benchmarks that consetrate on MInimum fps, they all show same results about 25fps as minimum! & avrage of 90 for example, meaning its a steady fps but it drops to 25 somtimes.

hmm...oh yeah any one knows how much the ultra cards Use of the agp 8x 2.1gb bandwidth?

thank you

NV50 will not be comming anytime soon. NV48, which is a refresh of the nv40 is slated for late q4, 2004. Whether they make that or not, can't say yet.

Minimum fps is going to be controlled in some fashion by specific drivers. For nvidia, there are a slew of past beta drivers and newer ones released or leaked like every week or so. If the min fps is too low, try a different driver set for the game your wanting to play.

You didnt tell us what you currently have for a vid card. But even if its top end LAST generation, Nvidia's 6800 gt/Ultra is twice the speed....meaning 100% faster. For isntance......average 3dmark03 score on a fx 5950 was about 6000-7000. Now, for the 6800 Ultra...average scores are 12500-13500. Thats just an indication:) Also, AGP isnt going anywhere for the next 2-3 years. Both Nvidia and ATI have stated that they will continue to produce AGP parts for the foreseeable future. PCI-express is still infant stages and theres NO advantage YET in real world performance as shown by various tests and benchmarks which has been linked to on the front page of nvnews.com at various times.

SH64
09-11-04, 08:48 AM
If the new generation video cards scores dont appeal you , then you dont need a new one ! seriously . wait for the NV50 or NV60 even :rolleyes:

if you want a higher minimum fps .. then you need to lower your screen resolution & AA/AF samples . or lower the game detials settings . case closed .

for the games you mentioned either a 6800Ultra or X800XT will be great . get whatever you prefer or you find for lower price .

mustrum
09-11-04, 09:30 AM
Mostly those minimum FPS are produced due to CPU lag or the game that's loading some stuff from the had (other than textures).
Your only chance to reduce that dips to 25 FPS would be buying a FX 53 and OC the crap out of it.
If you wait for the NV50 it wont change since there will be newer games that need more perfomance from the hardware.

odin20
09-11-04, 10:56 AM
thanks for answering mustrum i was waiting for someone to mention cpu.
The times when your minimum fps goes down are caused by your cpu most of the time and have nothing to do with your vid card.
I have had every new generation vid card since the matrox mystique and the voodoo1 and this is the biggest jump in performance ive ever had so if yer not gonna buy one now then there will not be a better time cause i quarantee the refresh will be nothing in comparison.
Just my 2 cents.

mustrum
09-11-04, 11:54 AM
thanks for answering mustrum i was waiting for someone to mention cpu.
The times when your minimum fps goes down are caused by your cpu most of the time and have nothing to do with your vid card.
I have had every new generation vid card since the matrox mystique and the voodoo1 and this is the biggest jump in performance ive ever had so if yer not gonna buy one now then there will not be a better time cause i quarantee the refresh will be nothing in comparison.
Just my 2 cents.
I 100% agree. There'S no way they can double the performance a second time within a short time. Look at how they did it: They doubled the pixelpipelines and upped the shaders. To get the refresh twice as fast we'd be looking at a 32 piped architecture (wich is total nonsense of course because it would be extremely limited by too low memory bandwith. GDDR3 is the best we have right now). It's pretty obvious that it will take quite a long time until we have graphics card performing twice as fast as the actual ones.
Sure they could double the clcosk but on the GPU we can see that they have trouble where they are allready and there's no way we'll see much faster memory as well.
I expect a tad higher clocks on the refresh cards but nothing big.

If you want a high end card, now it's the time to buy one.

havox
09-12-04, 09:06 PM
Thanx alot guys, that was so useful:)

I was wondering if any one know any progy that meashures AGP bandwidth use?
Like how much of the agp bandwidth my card is using?