PDA

View Full Version : Quake 4 PC Gamer Preview Sept. 21

Pages : [1] 2

Rooster_11
09-08-04, 11:34 PM
shacknews says PC gamer will have a 10 page quake 4 preview available on september 21st! woot.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/33473

it's about halfway down.

CaptNKILL
09-08-04, 11:39 PM
I still think they could have labeled Doom 3 as "Quake 4", changed a few weapons to look more high tech and no one would have noticed

Still, this is great news. Quake 2 was a great game, as was Quake 1... cant wait for the next one :)

I dont really count Quake 3... that should have been called "ID Arena"... I mean, it had a character called "Doom" that was the Doom Marine... what the hell did that have to do with Quake?

|JuiceZ|
09-08-04, 11:49 PM
Yah, Q3 doesn't count, it was pwnd by UT in '99 :angel:

netviper13
09-09-04, 01:22 AM

Tru Dat!

WeReWoLf
09-09-04, 01:24 AM
damn straight!

MrSavoy
09-09-04, 01:33 AM

Lies...lol

gigapower
09-09-04, 02:56 AM

(spit) Put the crack pipe down!

jAkUp
09-09-04, 03:30 AM
sweet hopefully they have some nice screenies :D

nVidi0t
09-09-04, 04:24 AM

Pfffft. LOL

saturnotaku
09-09-04, 05:57 AM
The only thing UT had going for it was Glide support to keep the 3dfx fanboyz happy. I enjoyed both games, but from a technical standpoint, Q3 was superior in every way.

nVidi0t
09-09-04, 06:27 AM
Quake 3 was purely superior. I loved UT, but now it's completely obsolete. Quake 3 is still the undisputed king of deathmatch.

lIqUID
09-09-04, 08:36 AM
Hmm Im really looking foward to seeing some screens of this, maybe since we will be eyeballing a preview we will get the game within a year which in turn will still be sooner than HL2 LMAO :nanahump:

|JuiceZ|
09-09-04, 08:39 AM
I'm talking gameplay(more important) here not graphics ;) Remember when these games went head-to-head, they were supposed to offer the complete fps mplayer experience, the only thing Q3 had going for it was dm. Even Q2 mplayer overall was much better than its successor. UT's CTF & Assault gametypes along with its intelligent bots made the game much more of a complete package, thats why it won so many GOTY awards. Even ID admits they missed the mark with that title. I purchased both that yr & Q3 just felt "rushed".

Now as far as Q4 is concerned, I really hope Raven has the magic to restore the spark from the Q2 days. The quake series deserves another classic.

Skrot
09-09-04, 08:39 AM
Quake3 is the best deathmatch. CPMA is the best Q3 deathmatch.

Skrot
09-09-04, 08:41 AM
Even ID admits they were not happy with how it turns out.Got a link for that?

|JuiceZ|
09-09-04, 08:44 AM
Got a link for that?

It was briefly mentioned by Carmack or one of the other ID staff during one of the 50mil D3 promo videos. I'll try to dig it up later if needed :kar:

ynnek
09-09-04, 11:37 AM
i hated quake3.. I hope they get base it more on Quake 2.

jbirney
09-09-04, 12:04 PM
I'm talking gameplay(more important) here not graphics ;) Remember when these games went head-to-head, they were supposed to offer the complete fps mplayer experience, the only thing Q3 had going for it was dm. Even Q2 mplayer overall was much better than its successor. UT's CTF & Assault gametypes along with its intelligent bots made the game much more of a complete package, thats why it won so many GOTY awards. Even ID admits they missed the mark with that title. I purchased both that yr & Q3 just felt "rushed".

Now as far as Q4 is concerned, I really hope Raven has the magic to restore the spark from the Q2 days. The quake series deserves another classic.

For me I think the style/type of maps that UT had also made the game more fun. Q3 seemed to have to have 2 or 3 themes repeated over and over. Where as UT had more of an imigination to their maps (mideval settings, modern, futur-istic, ect). But thats highly subjective...

Raven has been able to bring us fun games before, and hopefully then can bring that to Q4 as well!

Nv40
09-09-04, 03:09 PM
For me I think the style/type of maps that UT had also made the game more fun. Q3 seemed to have to have 2 or 3 themes repeated over and over. Where as UT had more of an imigination to their maps (mideval settings, modern, futur-istic, ect). But thats highly subjective...

Raven has been able to bring us fun games before, and hopefully then can bring that to Q4 as well!

for the sake of having something to argue here.. :D

Imho.. i really dont know why people like UT MP games at all.. graphics are not any better than QUake3 , only advatange is outdoors mapsthat the Unreal engine handle extremely well. Quake3 number in online gameplay dont lie.. it was always second place next to counterstike according to gamespy stats. it was for many years the number one Deathmatch game.. (CS is a teamplay game) ,until MOH/COD and battlefield later arrived. every *UTxx* games dont know why bu never felt i was "playing" in them.. but more exploring levels in noclip mode ,it feels like you dont run at all there ,but that your are levitating , the physics are terrible there.. "weapons" too arcade feelish and really hate the crappy blood and trippy flashing lighting efects in the levels. :)

QUake2 was by far the best in MP gameplay ,and with mods CTf was awesome ..but QUake3 added Jumppads and Bots to play offline plus graphics which are many BIG plus. no other game than QUake2 to this day have the tricky jumps that you could do there that allowed you strategically place yourself in almost every corner on a level or to reach megaheath packs. that i was able to do..at times but never knew how exactly they worked. :) the real rocket jumps was awesome.. and no other game have something remotely close to the level rocket jumps were in quake2. it was a another science to manage rockets for defense or ofense like pros. hidden secrets rooms where you could get weapons, that were very creative to get there ,level traps .. heck even today there are many things i never understood how people could do it.. like how people was able to walk in an invicible line in the air in the Edge map :D or how some campers could get to reach some crazy places in some levels.. :) thats something no other game have.. a game that is very easy to play but that you need years to really discover all that you can do there gameplay wise.and that is that the enviroments not merely are used for you to run or walk.. but also for interect with them.. for better combat tactics /others for hiding ,for traps ,or to reach secret chambers. i tell you that when i used to play heavily in LAn parties.. there was always a big problem to find games that everyone will like to play without complains. because there were always fanatics of so many diferent games ,like UT fans ,everquest fans.Rainbows6 fans ,race simulator fans overthere and counterstrike fans there or Tribes games... but when quake2 was picked nobody complained there... because its very easy to play it (even an idiot can play it) :) ,very simple the gameplay and the most important thing extremely Fun. :D

and Quake3 have more than 2-3 themes of playing ..perhaps you were not looking in the right places..

here is the best place to grab quake3 levels .since quake3 was released until today (5 years later) that place still release a few new maps every week.

http://www.planetquake.com/lvl/top.asp?group=45&order=dm

and here is a site with focus mainly on Architecture in level.. very cool levels..

http://planetquake.com/nunuk/q3geometrychallenge.htm

i will be more than impressed if QUake4 is a 100% remake of QUake2.. but it will be nicer if it also have more of the things that rocks in others games.. like the Outdoors /vehicles ,graphooks and jumppads/.

aAv7
09-09-04, 03:58 PM
well this tosses out all our hope that the "something big" for this month was the HL2 review. Yay..instead we get a preview of a game thats still 2 years away! (sarcasm)

Seoulstriker
09-09-04, 04:35 PM
Quake 2 was such an incredible game. Singleplayer was surprisingly good and multiplayer was even better. Now that the engine is out already and mods are in progress, I can't wait for Quake 4! :) :ORDER:

ynnek
09-09-04, 04:49 PM
i'd like that too.. like a parallel thread of the Q2 universe.. For example, your squad managed to survive the EMP blast when being drop down.. and you land outside on the planets surface.. first objective is to regroup and figure out what to do then.. plenty opportunity for in and outdoor levels, vehicles, NPC's and squad tactics...

i will be more than impressed if QUake4 is a 100% remake of QUake2.. but it will be nicer if it also have more of the things that rocks in others games.. like the Outdoors /vehicles ,graphooks and jumppads/.

Seoulstriker
09-09-04, 04:58 PM
i'd like that too.. like a parallel thread of the Q2 universe.. For example, your squad managed to survive the EMP blast when being drop down.. and you land outside on the planets surface.. first objective is to regroup and figure out what to do then.. plenty opportunity for in and outdoor levels, vehicles, NPC's and squad tactics...

:drooling:

Holy Smoke
09-09-04, 07:29 PM
Going from fighting with demons to fighting with aliens is a bit of an anti-climax to me...

Being a graphics hooker, I'm still looking forward to it. As long as it's exciting.

Seoulstriker
09-09-04, 07:58 PM
Going from fighting with demons to fighting with aliens is a bit of an anti-climax to me...

Being a graphics hooker, I'm still looking forward to it. As long as it's exciting.

Quake was always known to be very dynamic. They are certainly cooking up something rich for Q4. They haven't released a single screenshot yet! I bet we're in for a shocker. :nanahump: