PDA

View Full Version : Seems like I've fried my AMD64...

MrWho
09-09-04, 01:38 AM
I don't know what to think.

I was playing around with MSI's Core Center (I have a MSI K8N Neo Platinum). I turned on the Auto feature (that allows the software to find out the maximum possible FSB) while running Seti@Home in the foreground. At the time I was thinking that when the maximum FSB was reached, the PC would crash and then I'd know the maximum FSB it would support.

I had previously lowered the RAM configuration, so as to find the maximum CPU FSB (and not be bottlenecked by the RAM).

Additionally, at every 100Mhz jump, I'd stop and run a session of 3DMark 03 (CPU Tests) to see the performance increase.

Well, next to 2400, the PC just turned off, never to come on again.

I tried everything, even another PSU I have around, with no result. But, if I take out the CPU and plug in the power cord, the PSU will come to life, as well as the mobo's leds.

So I guess I have a goner in my hands... Dammed 250 I spent on it...

I'll never try to overclock again in my whole life! :cry:

UclaBob
09-09-04, 02:21 AM
RIP AMD64

*a moment of silence, please*

nVidi0t
09-09-04, 04:51 AM
Yeah it's gone.

"plays church organ"

r2d2d3d4d5
09-09-04, 05:32 AM
That really sucks.

I wander if you are covered by the warranty?

YOGIx213
09-09-04, 06:00 AM
Ouch. Were you adding mhz by the hundreds? If so, that's way too much to be jumping up at a time to test out your overclock. Either way, I feel bad for you but it's not the end of the world. I would just take it as a learning experience. Good luck. :(

PaiN
09-09-04, 06:32 AM
Have you tried a manual reset(jumper) of the bios......?
Because, it seems strange for a CPU to die like that.....in fact, its near impossible..

camelot
09-09-04, 07:26 AM
Yeah, take the battery out of the board for an hour or so then try again. Overvolting could kill a CPU easy but i doubt trying to run it at 2.4Ghz would.

Sazar
09-09-04, 07:51 AM
I don't know what to think.

I was playing around with MSI's Core Center (I have a MSI K8N Neo Platinum). I turned on the Auto feature (that allows the software to find out the maximum possible FSB) while running Seti@Home in the foreground. At the time I was thinking that when the maximum FSB was reached, the PC would crash and then I'd know the maximum FSB it would support.

I had previously lowered the RAM configuration, so as to find the maximum CPU FSB (and not be bottlenecked by the RAM).

Additionally, at every 100Mhz jump, I'd stop and run a session of 3DMark 03 (CPU Tests) to see the performance increase.

Well, next to 2400, the PC just turned off, never to come on again.

I tried everything, even another PSU I have around, with no result. But, if I take out the CPU and plug in the power cord, the PSU will come to life, as well as the mobo's leds.

So I guess I have a goner in my hands... Dammed 250 I spent on it...

I'll never try to overclock again in my whole life! :cry:

I don't think the auto feature works they way you think it does :)

it'll just keep increasing afaik untill you stop it at a stable oc that works for you...

clear the CMOS and it should be good to go...

the a64's are built with a thermal shutoff that should protect your processor from overheating damage..

damage caused by the voltage and like is a different matter but hopefully this is not the case with your cpu..

pain's suggestion should work... camelots is an alternative to the same method...

nVidi0t
09-09-04, 08:22 AM
Seriously though, you should have been more careful. When you overclock you should increase the FSB in a mhz step at a time, and run the system for a few hours or even a couple of days so the CPU can adapt to the new settings.

aAv7
09-10-04, 01:08 AM
See, this is why im hesitant to oc my cpu. I'd sooner live without an extra 200mhz, than have no cpu at all. And as tight as $$ is right now.....yea...no ocing for me. =) Now the gpu...that doesnt bother me so much....or even an intel cpu....something about amd and ocing rubs me wrong.

|JuiceZ|
09-10-04, 08:30 AM
Chill guys PaiN & the others are right, a64 cpus have an internal thermal protect feature that keeps the cpu from burning itself up. The K8N Plat also has a max cpu temp setting that can be configured before the machine automatically shuts itself down. My rig has turned itself off plenty of times while trying to find my max o'c. As long as you weren't over volting the vcore you should be fine. Just clear CMos, give it 30secs or so then turn 'er back on.

AthlonXP1800
09-10-04, 03:07 PM
MrWho, if your CPU was bought as retail box, you can have a free CPU replacement when your CPU died, it got 3 years warranty I think. :)

qballshalls2002
09-10-04, 05:09 PM
Im never ever o/cing anything over $250 again. After the lost of my 2600+ and Radeon 9700pro, Ive learned how important hardware and recovery cost could add up. So when I get my 6800u or Amd 4200+ I am not ocing shyt...

camelot
09-10-04, 05:51 PM
Im never ever o/cing anything over $250 again. After the lost of my 2600+ and Radeon 9700pro, Ive learned how important hardware and recovery cost could add up. So when I get my 6800u or Amd 4200+ I am not ocing shyt...

Bah, wheres the fun in that? (j/k)