PDA

View Full Version : Proper use of forceware profiles?

Gaco
09-09-04, 07:22 AM
Ok so im not really used to these ForceWare drivers, going from the Catalysts. How does the profiles work? Can you make it so some profiles/settings automaticly engage when launching certain games so you don't manually have to switch between them? I'm just messing around with them right now, but they I definently like the options and interface much better than the catalyst...

Help anyone?

Demanufakture
09-09-04, 07:30 AM
just go to http://www.nvidia.com/object/profiles.html and follow the instructions on this page. In this link it explains how to use and implement your application profiles. The application will always start with settings you set in a profile for that specific application.

Gaco
09-09-04, 08:01 AM
Oh thanks, I got it right now. These drivers RULE so much over the Catalyst :D

Shaitan
09-09-04, 08:14 AM
I don`t even know wtf anyone uses the profiles. lol 1 default setting to max out your games visuals is all ya need. What a waste of programming on nVidias part.

OWA
09-09-04, 08:25 AM
I don`t even know wtf anyone uses the profiles. lol 1 default setting to max out your games visuals is all ya need. What a waste of programming on nVidias part.
What the heck...profiles are a godsend. Not all games can use the same settings, sometimes because of performance reasons, sometimes b/c they don't provide the desired AA or AF settings and sometimes because of game issues (special cases like Halo, NFSU, etc.). The profiles save me from having to constantly change settings so I love it. Of course, if you mainly play one game until you're done, move on to the next, etc. then I can see where it wouldn't be as useful to you. That's not the way I play though.

Gaco
09-09-04, 08:51 AM

What are you talking about? You would be correct IF all games were designed to have equal performance, but I can say they do :P

I wanna play older games like Call of Duty, Jedi Knight 2 and Battlefield Vietnam in 1600*1200 4XAA 8XAF while having a little lower settings for Far Cry and Doom 3.. Different games play different, I don't see why you should restrick yourself to ONE image quality setting...

Lfctony
09-09-04, 09:09 AM
I like the profiles pretty much as well. :)

JBark
09-09-04, 10:46 AM
Remember to make a backup of c:\Windows\System32\nvapps.xml after you get everything set the way you like. Otherwise you'll probably lose everything when you install a new driver.

I usually just copy the nvapps.xml file into the driver installation folder, and then install the drivers. That should make sure your settings are kept when you install the new driver. If there is already an nvapps.xml there, it might be a good idea to see what the difference is between your file and nVidia's.

ynnek
09-09-04, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the tip! I always hated that!

Remember to make a backup of c:\Windows\System32\nvapps.xml after you get everything set the way you like. Otherwise you'll probably lose everything when you install a new driver.

I usually just copy the nvapps.xml file into the driver installation folder, and then install the drivers. That should make sure your settings are kept when you install the new driver. If there is already an nvapps.xml there, it might be a good idea to see what the difference is between your file and nVidia's.

nippyjun
09-09-04, 10:58 AM
Nvidia should make it easy to save your profiles when you update the drivers. This should be easy for them to do.

Waffles
09-09-04, 12:02 PM
Its easy, just backup the NVAPPS.XML in the SYSTEM32 directory. Now you can save your profiles when you change drivers.

Waffles
09-09-04, 12:02 PM
er someone already said that. Guess I shouldn't skim the thread ;)
Anyway, its easy enough.