PDA

View Full Version : AMD Outsells Intel Again in Weekly Desktop Sales

|JuiceZ|
09-09-04, 10:32 AM
Go little guys (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&e=3&u=/cmp/20040909/tc_cmp/46802761)!!! :cool: :nanahump:

saturnotaku
09-09-04, 10:39 AM
My parents should continue that trend as they just bought an AXP machine to replace their old K6-2 box. :cool:

Gator
09-09-04, 01:01 PM
Go little guys (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&e=3&u=/cmp/20040909/tc_cmp/46802761)!!! :cool: :nanahump:

Bravo!!! :clap: :nana: :super: :clap2: :naughty: (dan)

AMD RULZ!

Sazar
09-09-04, 01:29 PM
dammit... now that amd is no longer the underdog I'm gonna have to buy transmeta :(

/me sobs

Riptide
09-09-04, 01:41 PM
Can't wait to see the 3500+ come down in price to the $200-220 range. Wonder how long I'll have to wait. I'm thinking at least christmas.

Then I can put my Lian Li PC62 back together and setup a Linux box. :)

Drunken_Master
09-09-04, 09:37 PM
I hope that the trend for AMD growing its share in the desktop market continues. I read a report by Giga/Forrester Group saying that 2006 would be a turning point in the market of PC processors. It will be the year when AMD will challenge Intel for dominance in the processor market.

I see Intel making a lot of missteps that AMD is taking advantage of. The move to 9xx mobos and DDR2 memory is just one of them. I think the worst mistake Intel made was to stick to ramping up the CPU mhz speed for too long. It gave AMD a leg up with 64-bit processing. Now Intel is at least 12 months behind in this tech.

More competition = lower prices and better performance
You win! (consumer) :D

MUYA
09-09-04, 11:48 PM
Yeah but the K8 prices are not coming down!!!!!!!!! Come on Intel..lets have the price wars again!!!

sxotty
09-10-04, 11:43 AM
Yeah but the K8 prices are not coming down!!!!!!!!! Come on Intel..lets have the price wars again!!!
Exactly I have been waiting and waiting, and they aren't dropping.

But my mobile 2500 runs at 2.4Ghz and that is fast enough for me :) Hopefully by next spring they will be reasonable though.

MUYA
09-11-04, 02:23 AM
Exactly I have been waiting and waiting, and they aren't dropping.

But my mobile 2500 runs at 2.4Ghz and that is fast enough for me :) Hopefully by next spring they will be reasonable though.

lol ya I want that 2.4 ghz k8 too :D

Intel17
09-11-04, 03:27 AM
W00t!

mustrum
09-11-04, 04:43 AM
dammit... now that amd is no longer the underdog I'm gonna have to buy transmeta :(

/me sobs
Woahaha. I hope you are no gamer.
At least it will bring down your power bill.
:lol2:

msxyz
09-11-04, 04:48 AM
Talking about AMD I was really impressed by the performance of the Socket-754 based Sempron. It kicks some major ass both to high end Pentium IVs as well as old Socket-A Athlons.

With a cheap monster like this around the corner, one wonders why Intel is still in the biz :D

Bill The Cat
09-12-04, 12:26 AM
That article was very conditional. AMD outsold Intel in U.S. markets on Desktop machines. That's great, but they've got quite a bit more work to do. Their Opteron needs some semblence of market share in order for their company to be profitable.

The best benchmark of success I've found is from company stock. With it's stock in a cold freeze since January (And actually losing ground) as well as with an overinflated P/E of ~52, this company is in dire need of earnings.

My other worry is that their 90nm process is yielding just like IBM's and Intel's. While Intel can fall back on their Pentium-M with the heat issues, AMD has little room to turn. The news that their FX-55 will be 130nm just drives the point home.

Take AMD and Intel's cash flow. Intel has a net free cash flow of $9.5 billion, AMD -$219,000. Intel's operating margin is a resouding 15.61%, AMD's eeking out a profit (for once; this is for first quarter) of 0.98%. There's good news, though. AMD's revenue growth is 30.50% while Intel's is 12.60% (Keep in mind this is combined, not just in semiconducters). But AMD's issue is, and will be in the forseeable future, sustaining growth and market penetration. Something I'm not sure they're capable of.

Don't get me wrong. I like AMD, and their AMD-64s are good chips. But they just don't have the market penetration (Especially overseas) that they need to compete.

Greg
09-12-04, 01:49 AM
Bill The Cat is right, although this is good news, this is in no way a 'AMD whips Intel financially' report. The 'retail' CPU market is small, and more enthusiast driven. Intel still makes more profit in one month than AMD does in years. What is nice is that AMD has credible products and people are starting to take notice.

FastM
09-13-04, 12:56 AM
This is only the beggining, AMD will have Dual-Core proc's out before intel and they will be better in every way (especially heat), 2004 was a getting the ball rolling, 2005 is stab and twist into intel's big belly. I agree with the statement that by 2006 AMD and Intel will be much closer in terms of market share, but after that point anything could happen. Intel knows their in trouble and are going to make sure their next generation processor will surpase what AMD has to offer, the question is can AMD keep up.

|JuiceZ|
09-13-04, 08:10 AM
This is only the beggining, AMD will have Dual-Core proc's out before intel and they will be better in every way (especially heat), 2004 was a getting the ball rolling, 2005 is stab and twist into intel's big belly. I agree with the statement that by 2006 AMD and Intel will be much closer in terms of market share, but after that point anything could happen. Intel knows their in trouble and are going to make sure their next generation processor will surpase what AMD has to offer, the question is can AMD keep up.

exactly.

Bill The Cat
09-13-04, 10:12 AM

AMD is having fab problems, and with 90 nm these won't go away. The problem is that they don't have the resources to combat this problem like Intel does. While Intel is the king of diversity, with assets all over the place (namely in flash memory), AMD doesn't have much ground to lose. I disagree that they'll get market share in 2005 or 2006 past what they're getting and keep it. Their fab problems are just too strong and I don't believe they have the resources to combat their 90 nm woes. If IBM and Intel are having trouble yeilding 90 nm processors and battling heat, AMD certainly doesn't have the resources to manage them.

Having a good product and being able to deliver a good product are two very different things, and while AMD has half the equation, they can't produce on the latter.

FastM
09-13-04, 10:14 AM
AMD is having fab problems, and with 90 nm these won't go away. The problem is that they don't have the resources to combat this problem like Intel does. While Intel is the king of diversity, with assets all over the place (namely in flash memory), AMD doesn't have much ground to lose. I disagree that they'll get market share in 2005 or 2006 past what they're getting and keep it. Their fab problems are just too strong and I don't believe they have the resources to combat their 90 nm woes. If IBM and Intel are having trouble yeilding 90 nm processors and battling heat, AMD certainly doesn't have the resources to manage them.

Having a good product and being able to deliver a good product are two very different things, and while AMD has half the equation, they can't produce on the latter.

Where did you hear they were having Fab problems? i have heard the opposite?

Riptide
09-13-04, 01:01 PM
Where did you hear they were having Fab problems? i have heard the opposite?
Well for one thing the FX55 being .13m instead of .09 is an indicator that all may not be well for them right now in that regard. I think Bill mentioned that.

DMA
09-13-04, 02:34 PM
People are not stupid, of course they buy the best out there atm. :wong: