PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Floppy drive problem

Fynx-Gloire
09-09-04, 01:39 PM
Hey guys,
I have a real problem, I build an old DOS/Windows ME box so that I can play all my old games.
Anyways I got everything setup, my PCI soundblaster 5.1 LIVE for windows, Soundblaster AWE64 GOLD

ISA sound card for DOS games, VOODOO 5 video card, BUT I cannot get my 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch disk

drives to work at the same time. I can either get one of them to work by connecting either one to

the END of the ribbon cable, and hence its the A: drive. But the when I connect either one of the 2

drives to the middle part of the cable before the twist (B: drive) it does not get recognized, Only

the A: drive gets recognized every time.
In my bios I have only one setting for legacy floppy drive controller and I have a choice of

setting it to 5.25 1.2 meg or 3.5 1.44 meg and some other ones also, is this the problem?
Does my motherboard only support one legacy floppy drive and not 2?
My motherboard is an old VIA one and it was from a HP Pavilion PC, 500MHZ Pentium 3 with 1 gig of

SDRAM.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sean

Gator
09-10-04, 07:02 AM
The HP bios probably does not allow for more than 1 floppy drive. I recommend you simply convert your 5.25" floppies to 3.5" floppy to resolve the issue.