PDA

View Full Version : W00t! PC3200EL

Riptide
09-09-04, 01:38 PM
Wow, Fedex had delivery set for tomorrow instead of today yet it came early. I was surprised and ofcourse had to race home immediately and plug in the memory on my lunch.

Right now I have it set for 2-2-2 timings and running Prime to test stability. If I get home this evening from work and there are no errors I will be very happy. While I was fiddling around in my case I also turned my fans down a notch to see if I can get my machine as quiet as possible.

Temps are up (up 3-4c @ load on the CPU, 1-2c at idle on the XT) but as long as it doesn't cause any problems I don't care. No more overclocking for me, I'll just have to settle for a quiet stock machine. I think I can be happy. :)

Here's to hoping it passes Prime and I don't have to come unglued after work and bludgeon someone with a tire iron. :beer:

And yes, I'm kidding. :p

Sazar
09-09-04, 01:49 PM
good news :) keep us posted...

|JuiceZ|
09-09-04, 02:25 PM
Very nice, gotta love those FedEx early deliveries :D

saturnotaku
09-09-04, 05:34 PM
Boy Rip, I'll bet you feel like a :retard: for ditching your P4. :p

Riptide
09-09-04, 05:45 PM
Things did not go as planned. ;)

I don't regret getting the FX53 so much as I regret going through 3 different motherboards and two different sets of RAM to try and overclock it for what amounts to only about a 10% performance gain over stock at best. I never planned on water and as I got going I realized you just about had to do that in order to get much above stock speeds. Swapping all that hardware cost me a lot of time and $$ and in the end I'm right back with the same motherboard I started with. Minus a few hundred ofcourse. :p

ynnek
09-09-04, 06:28 PM
so how much perf increase are looking at in real life, going from a generic value ram of CL3 to higher quality CL2 on the memory?

For example, like 5 fps in FarCry?

stncttr908
09-09-04, 07:29 PM
No overclocking? You wuss. ;)

Riptide
09-09-04, 09:35 PM
so how much perf increase are looking at in real life, going from a generic value ram of CL3 to higher quality CL2 on the memory?

For example, like 5 fps in FarCry?
The mushkin pc4000 I had isn't generic value stuff. I don't expect 5fps. More like 1-2.

The OCZ newegg sent me appears to be OK. I can run 2-2-2 for sure. Prime worked all afternoon with no crash. :)