PDA

View Full Version : Gave up on the FX-53

PaiN
09-09-04, 04:53 PM
After misery of the MSI K8N Neo2 and the second failure of the K8T Neo2 (SATA ports) this afternoon. I threw in the towel.
I'm going back to the P4EE on a Abit IC7-G MAXII Adavance(no Max3's were available)
From what I've seen in testing my EE running @ 3.6-3.7ghz mostly out performs the FX at 2.6ghz. I know that's a hard pill to swallow, but its true.
I also can't wait to make friends with stability again...

sxotty
09-09-04, 04:59 PM
Well how about you give me your fx then? K thx

Riptide
09-09-04, 04:59 PM
Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I can't say I blame you. If overclocking is your thing the P4 is much more fun to work with.

I honestly don't know why you did it in the first place man. An EE at 3.7 is a seriously fast CPU. Maybe you just like to tinker? Now that I understand. ;)

In my case, the FX53 was a noticeable jump in performance vs. my 3.0c (at stock). So I won't be going back, at least this VIA board is stable at stock FSB/multis.

My limited experience has taught me that if you want to push an FX CPU you can forget getting far on air. As soon as you push more voltage into the core it starts running HOT. It doesn't even take much more voltage either before it begins to get pretty warm.

There's a guy over on abxzone who gets over 35,000 points in 3dmark01. Ofcourse, he's using exotic cooling to get that far (3ghz CPU clock).

PaiN
09-09-04, 05:13 PM
I honestly don't know why you did it in the first place man. An EE at 3.7 is a seriously fast CPU. Maybe you just like to tinker? Now that I understand. ;)

Yep....in the back of my mind I knew it was a dumb-ass idea, I love the build and smell of new hardware ;)...after all I was hearing the draw to try an FX was too strong. So now I tried one :rolleyes: and gained a new respect for the PoweR I have in that EE.

Riptide
09-09-04, 05:17 PM
So what are you going to do with all that kit then? I already have my MSI for sale here. ;)

What about the CPU? It usually can't be returned for refunds, only exchanges. Depends on where you got it ofcourse.

PaiN
09-09-04, 09:12 PM
I sold the CPU over at my main haunt, ClubOC forums.
I have both the K8N and K8T.....
The K8T came from newegg and its a "replacement only RMA" but since it is the 2nd board with the same problem I'm going to call and see if I can't get a refund or credit of some sort.
I'm going to hold the K8N for a while(no box so I can't return it).....and either build it into a system(I do alot of side work) or upgrade my #2 rig and sell the XP2500+ / NF2 in it now...

Pandora's Box
09-09-04, 09:21 PM
hmmm. are the msi k8n 2's really that unstable? *debates switching to intel for next upgrade*

i mean i could grab an intel p4 3.4GHZ for 315 bucks off newegg. the amd 64 3500+ is 379 bucks. intel has stable motherboards that work properly.

PaiN
09-10-04, 10:17 AM
Pandora.....the set up was an unstable mess, for me.

Pandora's Box
09-10-04, 10:34 AM
know whats funny? new bios released today that allows 450mhz "fsb" and it supposedly fixes the temperature problems.

im not so sure about the pentium 4 3.4ghz though. its an lg775 socket. fortunately abit has a motherboard that is based on the 865 chipset that has a lg775 socket.

Riptide
09-10-04, 10:57 AM
My Neo2 wouldn't coldboot if I had a HTT of 250 set. Had to use clockgen to overclock it in order to avoid that issue.

Glad to hear they may have fixed the temp reporting issue. Now if Abit would just follow their lead...

camelot
09-10-04, 11:12 AM
My Neo2 wouldn't coldboot if I had a HTT of 250 set. Had to use clockgen to overclock it in order to avoid that issue.

Glad to hear they may have fixed the temp reporting issue. Now if Abit would just follow their lead...

I still wonder if it was your FX chip that was the problem and not the board

nVestor
09-10-04, 11:26 AM
I still wonder if it was your FX chip that was the problem and not the board

I imagine your right camelot. Seem's as though Hot Hardware (http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=574&cid=3) didn't run into any new problems that weren't already known before.

Even they say the MSI Neo2 K8N Platinum (http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=574) is the mobo to have for socket 939. Ofcourse the FX-53 that was used had already been proven stable at 2.6Ghz previously.

Oh well, I still like the mobo myself, wouldn't mind having one that's for sure. :)

Riptide
09-10-04, 11:53 AM
Oh well, I still like the mobo myself, wouldn't mind having one that's for sure. :)
$100 and it's yours. I have one for sale, check the FS forum.

nVestor
09-10-04, 12:03 PM
$100 and it's yours. I have one for sale, check the FS forum.

I would Rip, it's just that I have money tied up else where at this time. Although thanks for the heads up, that is one sweet deal. You really shouldn't have a problem selling it. I will mention it to some of my buds, see if they are interested. :thumbsup:

Pandora's Box
09-10-04, 12:40 PM
ding ding u have a bid. check that thread!

Sazar
09-19-04, 05:35 PM
I was reading up on sckt 940 v.s sckt 939 boards...

There is a cost of manufacturing advantage for motherboard makers to move to Socket 939 which uses a 4 layer PCB motherboard instead of the more expensive 6 layer motherboards for Socket 940

it would appear that some of the issues being attributed to the cpu's in reference to sckt 939 may stem from the motherboards themselves...

no conclusions mind... just speculation...

and I have no information on the number of layers being utilisied in some of the mobo packages out there...

GlowStick
09-19-04, 05:42 PM
Ah,

I definatly agree that my FX system is definatly very very unstable. However i can get everything fine untill i try to Prime, it just dosent like my FX at all. Anyways have fun with your new system again :D

ghostboy
09-20-04, 08:15 PM
Hey PaiN. Sorry to hear about your woes with the FX-53. Good thing you didn't sell that EE of yours. ;) I left some feedback on the other site. Thanks for the Max3 bud.