PDA

View Full Version : Coldfirenj's Ultimate Guide to Stop Your 6800U Studdering/Lockups!

coldfirenj
09-09-04, 07:00 PM
Hey guys, I know alot of people are still having studdering/lock-ups with their 6800U and untill recently I was one of you. I am now convinced that the problem is NOT a driver issue. Its a number of things infact. I am going to list the things (I know you already have tried some of them) you should try to stop this problem.

Lock 2d & 3d clockspeeds! Yea this has been said 100 times, but it can't be said enough. Download Rivatuner, and set 2d, 3d, and low-power 3d all to the same speed.

Do not strain your card's memory! If you overclock your card's memory, stop. Or let off a bit. Trust me, 1.14 is about as high as your going to want to go for stability. I know all cards are different but were talking 100% stability here.

Disable AGP Fastwrites. Obvious..

Relax your memory timings! Yep, this WILL help. Download Memtest from majorgeeks.com and you may be suprised. If you leave it on overnight you may find an error or two, even if you don't relaxing your timings will stabilize your system with little effect on performance.

Download DirectX C!!

Download all the lates drivers and game patches!!

Please, tell me if you have tried ALL THESE STEPS and still experiance lock-ups.

GOOD LUCK!

:)

Pandora's Box
09-09-04, 07:42 PM
dont forget to set agp aperture to 256MB

coldfirenj
09-09-04, 07:53 PM
Yea, good call Pandora. I think one of the most overlooked problems is memory timings. It was my problem, and I don't doubt it it others. Now that we have these nice cards that play all our effects to the max, our memory is being pushed much more than before.

Pandora's Box
09-09-04, 08:27 PM
by relaxed memory timings u mean what? mine are at 11 - 3 - 3 - 2.5T

coldfirenj
09-09-04, 08:55 PM
Just bump every number one up. It strains your memory less. 12-4-4-3 or something. You won't notice a difference, exept mabey fewer lockups.

Pandora's Box
09-09-04, 08:59 PM
Well I will keep 11 but change the rest up by one. 11 seems to be the best for nforce 2 systems

JTBurn
09-09-04, 09:39 PM
Really stupid question. How do I disable fastwrites? When I do it in the AGP settings of the Nvidia contol panel, nothing happens.

saturnotaku
09-09-04, 09:42 PM
Really stupid question. How do I disable fastwrites? When I do it in the AGP settings of the Nvidia contol panel, nothing happens.

If your motherboard BIOS supports the adjustment, do it there. Otherwise, you need to download RivaTuner from Guru3D.com and disable it via software. You can't change it from the drivers.

JTBurn
09-10-04, 06:12 AM
Thanks Saturnotaku. Rivatuner did the trick.

zbose
09-10-04, 11:43 AM
Ugh! Don't relax your memory timings if you are on an AMD platform. AMD procs are hugely sensitive to memory timings... It has been shown that tighter timings (assuming you are stable) offer more performance benefits than higher FSBs at relaxed timing...

So, if you are getting memtest errors, up your voltage to your ram. If you still get them, then fine, relax the timings... but you SHOULD be able to run at the rated timings FULLY stable. If not, i would RMA the ram.

zbose
09-10-04, 11:50 AM
Unless you are having stability issues, i wouldn't go any looser on your times, 3,3,2.5,11 is already pretty loose.

The 11 TRas number is a fluke related to nforce 2 boards and its a YMMV kinda thing. The best thing to do is bench your system with it at each value and use whatever is fastest. My system pulled the highest memory bandwidth at 6, so i go 2-2-2-6.

Here is a great article about the perfomance benefits and tradeoffs of tight timings/high fsb:
http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=377&Itemid=0

All things being equal, you want as tight timings as possible.

Well I will keep 11 but change the rest up by one. 11 seems to be the best for nforce 2 systems

Pandora's Box
09-10-04, 12:35 PM
yeah i tried 11-4-4-3. no change, seemed a little slower. got timings down to 11-2-2-2T

mustrum
09-10-04, 12:37 PM
Just bump every number one up. It strains your memory less. 12-4-4-3 or something. You won't notice a difference, exept mabey fewer lockups.
You can't say so in general. Pandoras memory might be 100% rock solid.
My crucial CL3 memory is doing 208FSB 2/2/2.5/11 stable. Tested with memtest86 over 24 hours and tested with many other tools as well.
Every memory is different and even more it'S dependant on wich board you use it. GEIL memory is known to be OC memory and is damn fast but on some motherboards you get errors with GEIL memory even at 4/4/3/11.

Sure you can tell people to set 4/4/3/11 or even wors for max stability but they loose a ton of performance (on Athlon 64 systems, they scream for fast timings) in some cases when tighter timings would be stable.