PDA

View Full Version : how can you tell if your in/entering "low power 3d" mode?

ynnek
09-10-04, 12:59 AM
How can you tell if your 6800 is in/entering/entered in the past "low power 3d" mode? I'm curious.. I don't think I am, but I'd like to check anyways..

INGlewood78
09-10-04, 03:06 AM
Good question...I would like to know too

TheSmJ
09-10-04, 06:02 PM
There's a key you can add to the regestry which tells the GFX drivers to log the time and the reason why the card went into low power mode in the main system log. I can't remember the value though.

ynnek
09-10-04, 06:48 PM
Yea, thats what I hear.. some key in some registery that puts it in some log..

trouble is, I dunno what this key or what is doing the logging and where it puts the log...

Anyone have the exact details please? :)

There's a key you can add to the regestry which tells the GFX drivers to log the time and the reason why the card went into low power mode in the main system log. I can't remember the value though.

TheSmJ
09-10-04, 09:01 PM
I'd do wome reading about Windows Regestry before messing with it for any reason. THe log I was talking about is the main system log, which you should also read a bit about.

SH64
09-10-04, 10:40 PM
I thought the Low power 3D mode occur when the video card isnt getting enough juice to work at full potential .
the most obvious case would be not connecting the power cable , by that when windows start it will alret you that your power cable isnt connected & the video card will work into low power mode .
in that case you see "???" in the clocks section which indicate that the gpu is working at less than defualt .

myshkinbob
09-10-04, 11:35 PM
Low Power 3D mode kicks in when the gpu can't get enough power with the 12V connector plugged in. The LP3D clockspeed value is set in the card's bios. For the GT, at least with my leadtek, Low Power 3D speeds are the card default of 350/1000. It's easy to find out if your card is going into LP3D mode, overclock your card a little if it isn't already, get rivatuner, go to the hardware monitor graphs, click the disk icon to start logging, load rthdribl and leave it on for half hour or so. If your card is going to LP3D you'll see the graphs step down to default clock speeds. It doesn't have to be rthdribl, you can go play a game for half hour, but rthdribl is known to push the gpu hardest.

Hellion
09-10-04, 11:46 PM
heres the answer, the REAL ANSWER. go to 3DGURU,com for RIVA TUNER, (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163) If you need help to figure it out, let me know. but it has a line chart that is real time that can be viewed AFTER youve done what you want, than go to it, and it will tell you what the temps were the clock speeds both mem AND core, and ambient too. its the answer that you were looking for is it not?

Oh, one more thing, read all the readme's all instructions, and all its warning's, and be VERY carefull, it is a very powerfull tool.

myshkinbob
09-10-04, 11:54 PM
heres the answer, the REAL ANSWER. go to 3DGURU,com for RIVA TUNER, (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163) If you need help to figure it out, let me know. but it has a line chart that is real time that can be viewed AFTER youve done what you want, than go to it, and it will tell you what the temps were the clock speeds both mem AND core, and ambient too. its the answer that you were looking for is it not?

Oh, one more thing, read all the readme's all instructions, and all its warning's, and be VERY carefull, it is a very powerfull tool.

I could've swore i said the same thing in the post above yours, real answer indeed... you should read the thread in full next time. ;)

Edit: Save spamming another post, just wanted to apologise if i came off a bit high minded there, after all we came up with the same answer so kudos to us both. :)

Hellion
09-11-04, 12:03 AM
i was in advanced mode of the typing, i had to do some searching AND i was eating, so your answer came up first. So dont dis me, i do read, unlike some of the ignorent youths nowadays, i still read things fully hell, most of the time, i even spell it right too. but im lazy lol, dont care enough to fix mistakes when typing, to busy.. even WITH adhd also for one more correction, i was just venting^^ not talking about you guys. Really bad groups of people around here.

ynnek
09-11-04, 12:17 AM
So Slim, then what exactly is it then? LMAO I was just try to be kinda funny, trying to extract the extract key out of your massively comprehensive brain! I know all that stuff.

And Rivatuner - Ah, and i finally found the hardware montoring button.. I don't really understand why they hid it like that? wasn't very intuitive, at least for me. Maybe I am a little slow..

PS: who the hell has time to read docs? Especially after spending the whole day at work digging thru poorly written docs, trying to debug crappy apps, thats the LAST thing I want to do when I get home.... lol

Skrot
09-11-04, 12:22 AM
i even spell it right too. but im lazy lol, dont care enough to fix mistakes when typing, to busyHehehe...

ynnek
09-11-04, 12:30 AM
Ignorant youth vs the lazy elderly! lol You guys crack me up.. I didn't expect so much drama out such a simple question!

INGlewood78
09-11-04, 01:25 AM
Low Power 3D mode kicks in when the gpu can't get enough power with the 12V connector plugged in. The LP3D clockspeed value is set in the card's bios. For the GT, at least with my leadtek, Low Power 3D speeds are the card default of 350/1000. It's easy to find out if your card is going into LP3D mode, overclock your card a little if it isn't already, get rivatuner, go to the hardware monitor graphs, click the disk icon to start logging, load rthdribl and leave it on for half hour or so. If your card is going to LP3D you'll see the graphs step down to default clock speeds. It doesn't have to be rthdribl, you can go play a game for half hour, but rthdribl is known to push the gpu hardest.

arent u just measuring the 2d overclock?.

Hellion
09-11-04, 02:32 AM
PS: who the hell has time to read docs? Especially after spending the whole day at work digging thru poorly written docs, trying to debug crappy apps, thats the LAST thing I want to do when I get home.... lol i only said that so you didnt fry your card. youd be...actually, it probably WOULDNT surprise you how ****ing stupid some people are.

Hellion
i even spell it right too. but im lazy lol, dont care enough to fix mistakes when typing, to busy...
Hehehe... :rolleyes:

Ignorant youth vs the lazy elderly! lol You guys crack me up.. I didn't expect so much drama out such a simple question!

It's not thatm lazy, its just i dont give a damn, normaly im busy and active 24/7, truth to words i barely sleep. lol. And no drama. only truth, thats whats so depressing.

Wavern
09-11-04, 11:50 AM
Actually if you want information about when your card switches to 3d low power mode, simply install coolbits2. One of the extra menu options gives you access to that log information. During my overclocking attempts on a GT I had, it logged many items there. =v) No need to 'guess' with rivatuner. It's all visible with coolbits2. =v)

myshkinbob
09-11-04, 12:50 PM
arent u just measuring the 2d overclock?.

Last time i ran it, rthdribl looked very much like a 3d application to me.

The key to see debug messages is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/NVIDIA Corporation/Global/NVTweak/

DWord name NvCplEnableTroubleshootingPage
value 1

To see the mode change warnings in the troubleshooting page

Dword name QTwkEnableModeChangeWarning
value 1

Unwinder
09-13-04, 01:49 AM
PS: who the hell has time to read docs? Especially after spending the whole day at work digging thru poorly written docs, trying to debug crappy apps, thats the LAST thing I want to do when I get home.... lol

Then don't feel offence reading RTFM if you'll come to RT's techsupport forum. Ppl like you make me think that documentation is just a waste of my time. ;)

micron
09-13-04, 01:59 AM
Then don't feel offence reading RTFM if you'll come to RT's techsupport forum. Ppl like you make me think that documentation is just a waste of my time. ;)
I see your attitude hasnt changed over the last year...
(ack)

INGlewood78
09-13-04, 02:28 AM
Last time i ran it, rthdribl looked very much like a 3d application to me.

The key to see debug messages is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/NVIDIA Corporation/Global/NVTweak/

DWord name NvCplEnableTroubleshootingPage
value 1

To see the mode change warnings in the troubleshooting page

Dword name QTwkEnableModeChangeWarning
value 1

yes, I know its a 3d app. I am asking if Rivatuner is measuring 2d or 3d clocks with the graph. The reason I ask is that if I have my 2d clocks set to 400/1.1 and change the 3d to 420/1.1. The Riva Temperature graph still displays 400/1.1. Which leads me to believe that its measuring the 2d clock rate.

Unwinder
09-13-04, 08:33 AM
I see your attitude hasnt changed over the last year...
(ack)

It seems like you hasn't changed since our last antidetect related debates too. ;)

My attitude to users saying "who the hell has time to read docs" will never change. If the user have such POV and at the same think that I have time to explain him the things, which are _already_explained_ in FAQ and built-in context help - he'll get nothing but RTFM reply. If you still call it "being A-hole" then you simply don't know what techsupport is and never tried to reply to the same question 100 times every day. Is it so difficult to get?

micron
09-14-04, 01:25 AM
Is it so difficult to get?
No Unwinder...I_do_get_it.

You're like my highschool science teacher, you amaze me with what you know, and I rspect you to death, but underneath it all, you're pretty much a dick.

Be patient with some of these people, they're learning much faster.

Unwinder
09-14-04, 08:15 AM
You're like my highschool science teacher, you amaze me with what you know, and I rspect you to death, but underneath it all, you're pretty much a dick.

No comments. Just grow up a bit, mate. ;)

ragejg
09-14-04, 08:57 AM
NO PERSONAL ATTACKS, SUCH AS CALLING A PERSON A "DICK". SAVE IT FOR PM'S OR OTHER FORUMS. YES, I AM YELLING.