PDA

View Full Version : OCZ Rambooster... My Review ->

jAkUp
09-10-04, 03:33 AM
My OCZ Rambooster finally arrived, and to make a long story short, It didn't do anything for my setup, but here is my story anyways.

This is the box it arrived in... snazzy looking box :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7787&stc=1

Here is the booster in all its glory, I must say, not a bad looking device at all... Notice the heatsinks on the side:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7788&stc=1

And here it is installed:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7789&stc=1

Problem does not lie within the device at all. It does exactly what it is advertised. Which is, increase the memory voltage. I had no problem increasing the voltage at all, its just my paticular memory doesn't seem to care for the increased voltages the Rambooster brings.

Also, right out of the box the LCD was not showing a display, I thought I had a defective unit. I read up on OCZ's website, and it turns out the LCD will not show a display on PSU's that are lacking a -5v rail, I look on the side of my Enermax 600w, and sure enough, no -5v rail showed. Good enough I though, I can still increase it and monitor the BIOS voltage. So I went ahead and increased it to 3.4v, set the memory timings to 2-2-2-5, and tried to load Windows. It actually loaded, which is alot farther than it has gone in the past, but its definetely not stable, it bluescreens, restarts, etc. Not good. Setting the memory back to my 2.5-3-4-5 setting and it works fine.

I went ahead and touched the memory sink on the side of the unit, and this is, without a doubt the HOTTEST heatsink I have ever felt in my life. The thing was absolutely burning. If I would have left my finger on for a few minutes, I would of definetely had a severe burn. Its so hot I decided to throw on a northbridge fan:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7790&stc=1

Well thats it really, I decided to go ahead and use the unit since it does allow cleaner power to the memory chips, and I went ahead and decreased the voltage down to 3.0 volts. Wish it could have done more for me however.

wshadow
09-10-04, 03:43 AM
that sucks, lets try it on my corsair 433

Sazar
09-10-04, 03:44 AM
how much was the module?

I've seen this thing listed on various sites but I think yer the first lad who's actually explained how it works and what it does so clearly

:thumbsup:

nice writeup...

btw what are all the connectors for?

jAkUp
09-10-04, 03:58 AM
I payed $49 for it through www.frozencpu.com

The connectors are actually how the device gets its power, strangly enough, for it to function you need to disconnect your main ATX power connector, and instead plug it into the pass through connector that you see in the first picture. It has 2 molex shaped connectors coming off of it, one blue, and one yellow. You must plug those into the Rambooster in the appropriate slots.

camelot
09-10-04, 08:17 AM
You really need that display for it to work properly. Mine (and many others) are not callibrated correctly after shipping and you need to adjust them - mine was off 0.2v reading low. At 3.2v on my system it wasnt that hot at all and i didnt push it any further than that. I took mine out after it really didnt help my memory enough to warrant having it look ugly in my case and the long term implications of having that much voltage running through everything. Interesting gadget though :)

ricercar
09-10-04, 08:34 PM
I read up on OCZ's website, and it turns out the LCD will not show a display on PSU's that are lacking a -5v railAw crap. $50 wasted. I haven't even taken my RAM booster out of the box yet and I'm disappointed.

Three of my fast machines have an incompatable motherboard (A7N8X-___), and the fourth has no -5V rail on the PSU. Crap, crap, crap. I'll have to install it on one of my slow (nForce1) machines this weekend.

jAkUp
09-10-04, 09:44 PM
well, it will still work, but you just get no readout on the display. Most mobos you can monitor the inrease in the voltage through the BIOS

Blacklash
10-23-04, 10:49 PM
We need someone with OCZ ram to try this thing out. I hear they "like volts".
Where is Rip at? :D

Riptide
10-24-04, 10:59 AM
Supposedly this newer Samsung TCCD memory (OCZ 3200/3700EL) doesn't really need a lot of voltage. Winbond BH5 OTOH might be a good candidate for this booster. Some boards are having problems with it due to overvoltage protection (Asus AV8 is an example) though.

P1x44r
10-24-04, 08:30 PM
DDR Booster is something I always wanted to try. It should work nicely with my OCZ PC3700 EB which is voltage hungry. My current motherboard only allows 2.7v for DDR, so something like 3.2v should help when overclocking.

Good summary jakUp.