PDA

View Full Version : New bios for MSI NEO2 939

camelot
09-10-04, 07:42 AM
Version 1.2 is on liveupdate now. Documented changes are :

1. This is Award BIOS release.
2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
- Support FSB to 450MHz.
- Support K8 CPU Rev. D 939-Pin 128-bit.
3. 2004/08/30

undocumented :

0.5 multis now available
Temps seem to be reading correctly now!

Pandora's Box
09-10-04, 07:52 AM
Version 1.2 is on liveupdate now. Documented changes are :

1. This is Award BIOS release.
2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
- Support FSB to 450MHz.
- Support K8 CPU Rev. D 939-Pin 128-bit.
3. 2004/08/30

undocumented :

0.5 multis now available
Temps seem to be reading correctly now!

450mhz fsb? :headbang:

camelot
09-10-04, 07:55 AM
450mhz fsb? :headbang:

Yeah, i'd like to see the memory running that 1:1 :clap:

saturnotaku
09-10-04, 07:56 AM
Is there a standalone download for this? I don't want to go through the live update if at all possible.

|JuiceZ|
09-10-04, 08:00 AM
Is there a standalone download for this? I don't want to go through the live update if at all possible.

usually there is, check the MSI forums.

saturnotaku
09-10-04, 08:07 AM
Thanks Juice, there's a link in one of the threads on the forum to the BIOS itself.

But I just realized that I don't have a floppy drive connected to my machine any more so live update might be my only option here. In your opinion, is this safe to do or should I go by the old method?

MUYA
09-10-04, 08:08 AM
floppy drives...they should have been extinct by now

|JuiceZ|
09-10-04, 08:20 AM
Thanks Juice, there's a link in one of the threads on the forum to the BIOS itself.

But I just realized that I don't have a floppy drive connected to my machine any more so live update might be my only option here. In your opinion, is this safe to do or should I go by the old method?

I normally use the traditional flash from bios method using a floppy but have successfully flashed my K8N from windows just fine as well.

floppy drives...they should have been extinct by now

hehe, you'd think. If anyone had said 10 yrs ago we'd still be using these things I woulda smack 'em :p

camelot
09-10-04, 09:13 AM
I flashed mine from windows ok. If you have a shaky machine is when you start to worry :)

Weirdness with the new bios - temps recorded have dropped - whohoo, but my probe attached to matrix has dropped in temp too! Before the update i was getting 49C load with the probe right next to the CPU die, now with the exact same conditions (folding@home btw) im getting 44C load! Odd stuff :jammin:

saturnotaku
09-10-04, 09:15 AM
I flashed mine from windows ok. If you have a shaky machine is when you start to worry :)

My machine has been stable since I put it together so there's no worries there. If I do the Windows flash, should I make sure and reset my BIOS to defaults before undergoing the process? And once it's done, should I power down and clear my CMOS? Or should I just boot normally, flash and be done?

camelot
09-10-04, 09:18 AM
You can just flash over a tweaked bios, thats what i do. My only issue is on reboot if i dont hit delete fast enough it hangs as i dont have a floppy. I just hit reset and im good to go. In all my time flashing from windows for this board and my Asus A7N8X ive never had an issue.

saturnotaku
09-10-04, 06:29 PM
I just did the flash using Live Update and it worked like a treat. I'm fully updated and still completely stable. :)

gate1975mlm
09-10-04, 10:50 PM
Did this new Bios fix all the problems you guys were having with this board? Are you all Stable now? I am about to buy my first Athlon 64 board its between MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and the ASUS A8V Deluxe Revision 2.0! What should I do? Also I use a Geforce 6800 GT.

AnteP
09-11-04, 07:58 AM
Did this new Bios fix all the problems you guys were having with this board? Are you all Stable now? I am about to buy my first Athlon 64 board its between MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and the ASUS A8V Deluxe Revision 2.0! What should I do? Also I use a Geforce 6800 GT.

I got my K8N Neo2 Platinum a few days ago and I'm very happy so far.
Only problem I have is that my memory doesn't handle 2-2-5-2-1T timings anymore which it did with my old athlon xp rig, dunno what's up with that. :/

The one thing I haven't tried out yet is the nforce3-LAN.
I've been using the realtek gigabit-Lan so far, I dunno is there any real reason to use the nforce-LAN instead?
I'm not interested in the firewall since it seems to eat up some CPU-cycles even though it's supposed to be "hardware"...
But perhaps it will offer lower latencies or some other advantages, does anyone know?

Riptide
09-11-04, 08:38 AM
I got my K8N Neo2 Platinum a few days ago and I'm very happy so far.
Only problem I have is that my memory doesn't handle 2-2-5-2-1T timings anymore which it did with my old athlon xp rig, dunno what's up with that. :/
Try 2-3-2. camelot and I both had to use those timings instead of the tighter 2-2-2 with this board.

Oh and tRAS of 5 is a waste with these athlon 64 boards. It makes almost no difference in performance and in fact a setting of 8-12 is best according to anandtech's socket939 roundup.

I stuck w/the realtek LAN also and disabled the Nvidia.

saturnotaku
09-11-04, 08:42 AM
MSI also released a new version of CoreCenter, but it still appears to be borked with this BIOS. Its load temp readout is still 3-5 degrees higher than the NVIDIA System Utility. This might be fine, but CC reports my case temp as 17 degrees :wtf:. NVIDIA has it more realistic at 30-31.

camelot
09-11-04, 01:14 PM
Well, the 1.2 seems buggy to me. Its undervolting the core by 0.05 and fluctuating the volts up and down. I've gone back to 1.1 for now which i know is nice and stable for my overclock. Ive also found the bios start up to be more flaky in 1.2 where 1.1 was fast and always worked. I have a probe for temp readings so im not bothered about the corrected temps, though i wonder if they are "corrected" because the CPU is running with less volts now?

Im using the nvidia lan and to be honest i dont find it any worse or better than anything else ive used to connect to the internet.