PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Gainward Geforce 6800 GT Fried My MOBO!

JimmyWang214
09-10-04, 09:35 AM
Specs: Athlon XP 2800+ (t-bred) @ 2.1 ghz
1 gig pc2700 corsair crap value ram (WONT EVEN CLOCK TO DEFAULT 166 MHZ!)
DFI Lanparty NF2 Rev. B
Antec Truepower 430
Plextor 708a DVD-R/RW
Seagate 120 gb SATA drive
(Prevoiusly) Leadtek Geforce 3 :angel2:

Ok I previously had a 5900, but then i sold that to buy a bfg geforce 6800 gt. That ran fine in my system. Got into a car accident, had to sell it. Put in my trust old GF3 for a while. Bought the Gainward, put it in. Booted up to windows, i fiddled with the DVI->VGA adapter because it was loose, then the screen blanked. After that computer would power on, but monitor wouldn't return from standby, and from the looks of my cable modem, the computer isn't booting either. My RMA has expired (through newegg) and DFI only does RMA for non-US countries for whatever reason. I tried disconnecting/reconnecting everything but it doesn't change the situation.

mustrum
09-10-04, 10:37 AM
Hmm. Fiddling with the adapter while the system is running was no wise thing to do. On the other hand this usually shouldn't kill your system.
Reminds me at the story where one guy's long awaited x800 XT PE killed his whole system. :lame:
You sure that you don't have any guarrantee on the parts anymore? (Not newegg but the hardware itself)

JimmyWang214
09-10-04, 12:12 PM
Hmm. Fiddling with the adapter while the system is running was no wise thing to do. On the other hand this usually shouldn't kill your system.
Reminds me at the story where one guy's long awaited x800 XT PE killed his whole system. :lame:
You sure that you don't have any guarrantee on the parts anymore? (Not newegg but the hardware itself)

The adapter is external though. Its not like was rummaging through the insides and spraying water all over the parts while sticking my finger into a socket :). I e-mailed DFI's USA office concerning their RMA policy, hope to hear back from them soon.

P.S. yeah first thing i thought of was that poor guy with the faulty X800

mustrum
09-10-04, 12:44 PM
The adapter is external though. Its not like was rummaging through the insides and spraying water all over the parts while sticking my finger into a socket :). I e-mailed DFI's USA office concerning their RMA policy, hope to hear back from them soon.

P.S. yeah first thing i thought of was that poor guy with the faulty X800
You could *cough* "forget" to mention that you fiddled with the adapter.
I am against shady RMA stuff but this should not happen. It's not like you have done something that would kill a graphics card/system.
(I unplugged the VGA cable on one of my cards once while the system was running because i thought i shut it off. Speaks for my silent setup but against my intelligence i guess. :lol2: It didn't hurt my card at all though.)

MrMike
09-10-04, 04:38 PM
Hmm. Fiddling with the adapter while the system is running was no wise thing to do.

Bah...that won't do anything. I do it all the time on various machines and have been doing it for years and not a single video card has blown out. Its the equivelent of plugging and unplugging an svideo cable in and out of a tv. The voltage is already in the monitor via the powercord, the signal is all that disappears. It either has signal or it doesn't.

JimmyWang214
09-10-04, 05:53 PM
DFI's build quality is really shoddy. I've had to pull the whole buy from Newegg, return (-15%) , 2 times after they've died on me. I'm thinking of just buying an asus A7N8X-E deluxe :-/

TheSmJ
09-10-04, 07:06 PM
I've recieved a DFI board with a dead onboard NIC (drivers could see it, but no matter what cable I used to connect it to a switch, or OS, it simply was unable to see the network). I'm willing to bet it's the DFI board going out on you, and the fact that you just installed the video card when it died is just a coincidence.

JimmyWang214
09-15-04, 07:57 PM
I've recieved a DFI board with a dead onboard NIC (drivers could see it, but no matter what cable I used to connect it to a switch, or OS, it simply was unable to see the network). I'm willing to bet it's the DFI board going out on you, and the fact that you just installed the video card when it died is just a coincidence.

Just got a completley new board AND a new power supply (trupower 430) SAME PROBLEM AS BEFORE. SCREW YOU DFI!