PDA

View Full Version : TOP 5 air coolers for Geforce 6800!!?

Eltigre88
09-10-04, 08:25 PM
I will be looking for a new cooling solution for my PNY GeForce 6800 Ultra and was wondering what everyone suggests? I have no interest in liquid cooling. I'm leaning toward the nv silencer 5 but it will req heavey modding as far as the exhaust venting. I'm not sure I like the GPU and ram being cooled by the same piece of copper. I think the heat from one will effect the other and vice versa.

TheHelpful1
09-10-04, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure I like the GPU and ram being cooled by the same piece of copper. I think the heat from one will effect the other and vice versa.

True, the NV5 cools the ram and core with the same piece of copper, but also take into account that there is a fan blowing across the core AND ram whereas the stock HSF just has the fan blowing across the Core heatsink and not the ran banks.

At stock speeds and some AS5 i idle around 52-55 with the NV5.

As far as having to mod the backplate, i just took a 1/2 drill bit and scored the center where the exhaust needed to be and drilled it out. After that i took your average Nibbler (radioshack, cyberguys, etc) and cut out a nice clean line enough for the air to flow out.

Might want to use a vise or something to hold the backplate (Detached from the card of course) while you drill it because it does get hot while your drilling it and when metal gets hot it bends easily. Have it held tight and drill fast and you'll have a hole big enough for the nibbler in seconds.

One more thing, someone here mentioned using Gainwards ExpertTool to manually control the fan speeds or have them speed up and down according to thermal readings. NV5 does not support this so if you are more interested in OC'ing instead of a quiet environment, i'd stick with the stock cooler.

Hope this helps.

Pandora's Box
09-10-04, 10:20 PM
#1 air cooler: leadtek a400 gt cooler.

kahloq
09-10-04, 10:48 PM
At stock speeds...I idle at 47C with stock HSF on BFG Ultra. Im a bit surprised that adding that NV5 silencer and AS5 didnt lower the idle temps more. Whats the ambient temps in your case then?

myshkinbob
09-10-04, 11:48 PM
#1 air cooler: leadtek a400 gt cooler.

It's pretty efficient isn't it eh? :)

I've modded mine to use an 80mm fan at 7v instead now, essentially silencing it, and i still maintain the average GT temperatures of ~75c when gaming for hours, and ~85c with rthdribl punishing my card for an hour or so. Idle is about 55c, with a case ambient of 40c. Though ambient hits 65c when i leave rthdribl running for so long - i know, i should get some proper case ventilation.

For those who don't know the leadtek 6800's, they use a copper HSF that covers the front and back of the card, with a plastic cover on the outside edge to guide the air from the fan on the front over the back of the heatsink also. I think they call it Air-Surround.

Hellion
09-10-04, 11:59 PM
isnt this the top 5 cooler thread? all ive heard is my temp is this, well my temp is this..blah blah blah NVS5 NVS5, granted once or twice the gainward is mention...but how about some links? also...thats 2 guys, come on.

myshkinbob
09-11-04, 12:01 AM
Um, well if he's asking about the top 5 air coolers for the 6800 series, temperatures are going to be told to show the effectiveness of said coolers. It's not like people are quoting their temps from the reference HSF here.

Hellion
09-11-04, 12:15 AM
i didnt say that either, i said was all that WAS said is NVS5 and the gain ward

Eltigre88
09-11-04, 02:54 AM
True, the NV5 cools the ram and core with the same piece of copper, but also take into account that there is a fan blowing across the core AND ram whereas the stock HSF just has the fan blowing across the Core heatsink and not the ran banks.

At stock speeds and some AS5 i idle around 52-55 with the NV5.

As far as having to mod the backplate, i just took a 1/2 drill bit and scored the center where the exhaust needed to be and drilled it out. After that i took your average Nibbler (radioshack, cyberguys, etc) and cut out a nice clean line enough for the air to flow out.

Might want to use a vise or something to hold the backplate (Detached from the card of course) while you drill it because it does get hot while your drilling it and when metal gets hot it bends easily. Have it held tight and drill fast and you'll have a hole big enough for the nibbler in seconds.

One more thing, someone here mentioned using Gainwards ExpertTool to manually control the fan speeds or have them speed up and down according to thermal readings. NV5 does not support this so if you are more interested in OC'ing instead of a quiet environment, i'd stick with the stock cooler.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! I have a dremmel so I'm sure I can cut out a nice hole. I think I'm going to wait 6 months and see what new crazey Ideas they come up with. I got 3 months left here in the desert anyway so there is not too much I can do here except look and read about how much fun you guys are having.

Hey guys if we could atleast keep this to after market coolers that would be cool. Its not like I'm going to buy another card so I can use the heatsink and fan setup right?

jAkUp
09-11-04, 02:57 AM
VGA Silencer 5... I love mine :)

TheHelpful1
09-12-04, 03:49 PM
At stock speeds...I idle at 47C with stock HSF on BFG Ultra. Im a bit surprised that adding that NV5 silencer and AS5 didnt lower the idle temps more. Whats the ambient temps in your case then?

ExperTool = PCB 42*, Gcore 56.
ASUS probe = CPU 40*, MB 34*

The CPU was mounted with AC regular. My AC5 hadnt arrived when i mounted everything and i havent felt like ripping everything apart in to redo the thermal grease.

Although if/when i do, i might replace the MB heatsink grease with AC5 too.

JimmyWang214
09-12-04, 06:44 PM
VGA Silencer 5... I love mine :)

I have a Gainward 2400 GS and it has a pretty heavy duty looking cooler. If noise isn't a problem, which would be better, the Silencer 5 or Gainward's custom heatsink/fan thingy?

Eltigre88
09-16-04, 08:45 PM
I think I'm going to get the Evga copper heat sink and call it a day. Adding it and some AS5 should make a big difference.

Hellion
09-17-04, 01:16 AM
I think I'm going to get the Evga copper heat sink and call it a day. Adding it and some AS5 should make a big difference.

LINK? also, post performance. see if its worth it our ginnea pig :bash: :angel2: :rolleyes:

PeterJensen
09-17-04, 02:51 AM
The Asus v9999Ge beats em all :) I have an idle on 50 with the oc in my sig. :)

Eltigre88
09-17-04, 04:37 AM
http://evga.com/products/prod_list.asp?switch=4
Heres the link!
2 things are stopping me from posting results.
one is I am I think around 8,000 miles from home(Air Force in desert)
the other is I just spent a hundred bucks on a new x-connect power supply! If I buy one more thing my wife will kick me out for sure!!

Eltigre88
09-17-04, 04:55 AM
Here are EVGA's posted results!!

GeForce 6800 GT Temperatures

Temperature Aluminum Heatsink Copper Heatsink Difference
2D Ambient 39C 36C 3C (~7.6%)
2D GPU 60C 54C 6C (~10%)
3D Ambient 47C 44C 3C (~6.4%)
3D GPU 76C 70C 6C (~7.9%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GeForce 6800 Ultra Temperatures

Temperature Aluminum Heatsink Copper Heatsink Difference
2D Ambient 45C 44C 1C (~2.2%)
2D GPU 59C 52C 7C (~11.8%)
3D Ambient 57C 55C 2C (~3.5%)
3D GPU 79C 73C 6C (~7.6%)

These temperature readings were determined as follows:

NVIDIA nForce2 based motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
512 MB DDR 400 Memory
Windows XP Pro SP1
All tests were run in a closed case system
2D temperatures were determined by taking measurements after running PassMark's Burn-In-Test 2D Test for 1 hour
3D temperatures were determined by taking measurements after running 3DMark 2003 at maximum settings for 1 hour :nanahump:

Mesce
09-17-04, 06:00 AM
That must be whilst gaming or something because on my stock galaxy 6800 ultra I get 38 ambient idle and 53 gpu idle

M.r Bob
09-17-04, 06:46 AM
i just won one GeForce 6800 Ultra Copper Heat Sink from evga

Hellion
09-17-04, 06:44 PM
The Asus v9999Ge beats em all :) I have an idle on 50 with the oc in my sig. :)

so???? i idle at 55C with stock cooling and an ambient of 43C. is 5 c really that big? hell, i took apart mine. put some as5 on, and shaved it down to about 53C. So personaly, i see no reason to spend 30+ on a HS for only 5C. and befor you yell aty me about some retarded "Thats not how much it REALLY IS" crap. PLEASE POST SOME LINKS so i can see. TY

PS. What are your abients any way? lol. Also, this is just how i type...sry. im not REALLY yelling. Just putting emphasis on certain words.

MustangSVT
09-17-04, 07:13 PM
Here's results of my Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample. Check the attachment.

I ran 3DMark2003 at 1024x768 and 8xS AA + 16xAF, also while running 400/1100 clocks.

Idle Temps @ 350/1100
50C-53C

Load Temps @ 400/1100 with the above test
67C-72C

My card doesn't seem to go over 63-65C at all while playing games like Battlefield Vietnam, Unreal Tournament 2004, FarCry and Doom 3 at settings like 1152x864 4xAA 16xAF (all at Ultra clocks). This leads me to believe that the custom copper cooler on the Gainward 6800 GT is by far the best of them all, heck it's doing as good results as that NV Silencer 5 while at 400/1100, while not costing me. The only card that I know of that comes with the NV Silencer is the Galaxy Glacier 6800 GT. I did a simple search for it, and the only places listing it are UK places, so I can't compare it to the Gainward in terms of price.

Anyway, that's my rant.

zsynth
09-17-04, 10:23 PM
Today we had much cooler temp outside, could'nt be any happier the way the h/s is working. I'd like to try out the super high end cpu h/s's, but I don't have the extra $$$$'s right now for what they cost. Maby sometime in the future (I never feel satisfied with doing improvements).

PNY 6800GT (6600 drivers)
H/S - Full size cpu cooler (brand-?? got at good price, looks similiar to a Swiftech MCX159)
copper base/alum rods - 80mm 75cfm fan
Lapped - used AS5
3 extra fans - (1)60mm (2)80mm
(2) underneath (1) ontop
removed mem hs \ mem chips bare
---------------------
2d - 399 / 1100
3d - 435 / 1100
---------------------
Using rthdribl
---------------------
Ambient - 28 deg
Idle - 42 deg
Load - 52 deg

MustangSVT
09-17-04, 11:24 PM
Ah you're using your own modified cooler (with CPU h/s and separate fan). I think this thread is mostly meant to find out which STOCK 6800gt has the best air cooler on it. :retard:

As you can see, your "custom" cooler is really good, better than my Gainward. :retard:

Hellion
09-18-04, 02:24 AM
Ah you're using your own modified cooler (with CPU h/s and separate fan). I think this thread is mostly meant to find out which STOCK 6800gt has the best air cooler on it. :retard:

As you can see, your "custom" cooler is really good, better than my Gainward. :retard:

oh, makes more sense now. but than why does it talk about the nvsilencer so damn much?