PDA

View Full Version : Update Video Card Or CPU????

motleycrue
09-11-04, 01:56 AM
Hi, just looking for some advice.
Would I be better off updating my cpu or perhapse a new video card instead. which would have the greater impact on games?

My system is as the following:
----------------------------------
AMD TB 1.33 GHZ
Epox 8KTA3
512 MB PC133 SDRAM
120 GB WD w/8MB Cache
Abit Siluro GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 MB
Audigy 2 Platinum External
Exos External Water Cooling
Klipsch ProMedia 4.1
19" Flat Sony CRT e400

If I get a new CPU than I would need to buy a new Mainbaord and some new DDR Ram Which would jack the price up alot.I used to know alot about CPU's and mainboard and how they work etc. etc. But now i'm clueless! theres just to many bloody models now and mainboard types ram speeds, I have no idea what to think. I try to read reviews on hardware, some one says it's the best, some one says it's ****ty! hard to choose like that.
(mag)

saturnotaku
09-11-04, 09:10 AM
You'll benefit far more from a CPU/memory upgrade. The Ti4200 still has some scaling room. A nice stopgap solution until PCI-Express and dual-core Athlon 64 processors become more mainstream would be the following:

Chaintech VNF3 motherboard - $80
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-043&depa=1

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ - $144
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-452&depa=1

OCZ EL PC3200 (2x256) - $119
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-146-895&DEPA=1

This would be strictly optional, but it would definitely give you a big performance boost for not a lot of money:

Chaintech GeForce FX 5900XT - $169
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-145-072&depa=1

$512 including the video card, $343 without. You could keep your existing sound hardware and monitor, and if you're running a Koolance system, you probably have a decent power supply.

motleycrue
09-11-04, 12:41 PM
Heheh not exactly, i'm running a 300 W power supply..
But with an agp video card, koolance exos and 6 pci cards. it seems to handle everything fine with no problems, but i'm sure newer hardware uses more.

Actually i just heard about that newcastle 2800 last night, very ipressive, beats the 3200+ in most cases which is more money too. maybe i'l see if i can get one of those from canadacomputers.com which is $196 CDN ($146 USD)

I was looking around and to me so far the ASUS K8V VIA K8T800 looks like a King motherboard of it's own. do you think that mainboard is good stuff?

motleycrue
09-11-04, 12:48 PM
For video card i kinda got my heart set on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB for $233 USD

I've looked and looked on dozens of reviews regarding this but ATI seems to always have much nicer FSAA quality, it seems as if nvidia's 6x looks as good as ati's 2x. maybe theres a reason behind this though, i'm not to sure as of why.

Reaper106
09-11-04, 02:55 PM
MB/CPU/Ram is the clear choice my friend :firedevil

Hari Seldon
09-11-04, 03:35 PM
Hi, just looking for some advice.
Would I be better off updating my cpu or perhapse a new video card instead. which would have the greater impact on games?

My system is as the following:
AMD TB 1.33 GHZ
Epox 8KTA3
512 MB PC133 SDRAM
120 GB WD w/8MB Cache
Abit Siluro GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 MB
Audigy 2 Platinum External
Exos External Water Cooling
Klipsch ProMedia 4.1
19" Flat Sony CRT e400

If I get a new CPU than I would need to buy a new Mainbaord and some new DDR Ram Which would jack the price up alot.I used to know alot about CPU's and mainboard and how they work etc. etc. But now i'm clueless! theres just to many bloody models now and mainboard types ram speeds, I have no idea what to think. I try to read reviews on hardware, some one says it's the best, some one says it's ****ty! hard to choose like that.
(mag)

You'd be best off dumping you old stuff and build a new computer from scratch. Well, you might keep your soundcard... :rolleyes:

bonchez
09-11-04, 07:14 PM
If you ask me, I say both, but if you don't have enough money then defently go for the CPU upgrade, 1.3GHz isn't fast enough for today's best games, the Ti4200 should still be good, although it's a 64mb and I would suggest getting atleast 128MB.

kahloq
09-11-04, 08:59 PM
For video card i kinda got my heart set on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB for $233 USD

I've looked and looked on dozens of reviews regarding this but ATI seems to always have much nicer FSAA quality, it seems as if nvidia's 6x looks as good as ati's 2x. maybe theres a reason behind this though, i'm not to sure as of why.

Honestly, you'd be hindering yourself if you bought that card. Not because of your cpu tho. The price is a bit higher then what you could pay for an AGP version of the new 6600GT which MSRP will be 199. Although, the AGP version will not be available for another month whereas the 6600GT PCIexpress will be available end of Sept. hopefully.
I do agree tho that upgrading your CPU and mobo and system memory is the first theing you really need to do. The ti4200 will hold u over for a little bit if you cant get a newer vid card as well.

Id have to disagree with that statement concerning the 6x cards compared to ATI. Although yes that may have been true on the 5x series, it isnt now. First thing off is Nvidia DOESNT have a 6x setting in the driver control panel.
If your willing to pay a bit more, Id say buy a 6800GT instead of a 6600GT, but the 6600GT is half the cost, but you'd need a pciexpress mobo or have to wait for the agp version to follow after the pciexress one is released in retail.

The 6600GT scores better then the 9800pro in ALL tests done by all reviews/previews and is cheaper...at least compared to the price you listed for the 9800pro. GO here to see for yourself : http://www.gamespot.com/features/6106675/index.html

Viral
09-12-04, 02:36 AM
Heheh not exactly, i'm running a 300 W power supply..
But with an agp video card, koolance exos and 6 pci cards. it seems to handle everything fine with no problems, but i'm sure newer hardware uses more.

Actually i just heard about that newcastle 2800 last night, very ipressive, beats the 3200+ in most cases which is more money too. maybe i'l see if i can get one of those from canadacomputers.com which is $196 CDN ($146 USD)

I was looking around and to me so far the ASUS K8V VIA K8T800 looks like a King motherboard of it's own. do you think that mainboard is good stuff?

If you're on a budget then go with the chaintech VNF3-250 like suggested. It will perform just as well as any nforce3 250 or K8T800 and overclock better than the K8T800's. It only lacks in features.. but most of them wont effect you.

Go with the NVF3-250:ORDER:

Daneel Olivaw
09-12-04, 07:45 AM
CPU mobo ram

tristancarton
09-14-04, 10:00 PM
If I were in your shoes I would buy almost exactly what saturnotaku put up. It looks like it has been a few years and your system is due for a refresh.

Other random background info:
This may sound pretty funny but my brother just upgraded his Athlon 1200 chip with epox kta3 to an athlon 2400. Epox says it isn't supported but it really is.(check amdmb epox forum if you need info) Sure his system is extremely bottlenecked by the ram but it still gave a nice performance increase for 70 dollars or so. I would bet you can put any of the xp processors in that run on the 133/266mhz bus.

CPU/Mobo/Ram is the best all around upgrade you can do however i will stress that more and more games are being released that rely more on the videocard. From personal experience I can tell you that in a slow computer with a fast gpu still gives a big boost (I run a dual tualatin p3 1133 system with a radeon 9800 pro) In games like doom3 (very gpu intensive) a low end athlon with a radeon 9800 pro is alot of times better than a higher end athlon xp with a radeon 9600 based gpu.

Gator
09-15-04, 06:00 AM
I agree with what was said... try to sell your computer and build a whole new one. But if you must do it in pieces then definetly the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and PSU first. The GF4 TI4200 is still decent for DX8 games, especially if paired with an Athlon64. Then when you're ready consider a 6800NU or R9800Pro as a minimum to upgrade the video card to.

saturnotaku
09-15-04, 07:00 AM
Then when you're ready consider a 6800NU or R9800Pro as a minimum to upgrade the video card to.

You might even consider looking second-hand for a 9700 Pro as a stopgap video card. It'll blow away the Ti4200 and a used one certainly won't break the bank.

mustrum
09-15-04, 07:22 AM
You might even consider looking second-hand for a 9700 Pro as a stopgap video card. It'll blow away the Ti4200 and a used one certainly won't break the bank.
Good idea. I sold mine a few months ago and i did it with a tear in my eyes. It's a great piece of hardware. Just doublecheck those used 9700s closely and talk to the seller. Most have ben overclocked to the extreme (as mine :D) and are over 2 years old. Since they aren't that cheap even used you shoudl eb sure it'S in a good condition.