PDA

View Full Version : System Shock 2

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gaco
09-11-04, 02:30 PM
Hey guys

I just wanna talk about System Shock 2 right now. Just today when I was cleaning up my room, I found a little pile of old games in a box, and I immediately noticed System Shock 2, one of my all-time-favorite games. Seriously, this game is on my top 5, no doubt about that (Deus Ex 1 was such an atmospheric, geniusly game).

So did any of you ever get to play this brilliant game? What do you think if it? Do you still play it? I still think System Shock 2 is unbeaten in the sci-fi horror genre, even with the also brilliant Doom 3. I am SO MUCH going to play this game through once again :type: :rw:

Do you know any interesting mods, any graphic opdates or anything else? A multiplayer mod would be a blast :D

Here is a link for the demo: (its very limited, but wtf its SS2!)

http://www.game-revolution.com/download/pc/action/system_shock2.htm

BioHazZarD
09-11-04, 03:21 PM
I played it some a few weeks ago, it was still scary as i could remember but i got stuck somewhere so i didnt bother to play more.

Gaco
09-11-04, 03:51 PM
A few weeks ago huh? If you had played it when it came back in 1999, you would have been VERY impressed too :)

nVidi0t
09-11-04, 03:56 PM
System Shock 2 was great. Looking Glass studios were a real talent.

Edge
09-11-04, 04:01 PM
Yup, played that game when it was first released and now I play through it again every once in a while, terrific game. I've seen a few neat enhancements for it, like a texture pack (can't remember what it's called), and the System Shock Rebirth (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm) pack that increases the detail on many of the creatures by a very huge margin. Unfortunatly, it seems that project is kinda dead now, but at least what they've released is pretty good.

But, you don't need a mod for multiplayer, the patch adds 4-player coop :D

Gaco
09-11-04, 04:03 PM
Hey... I suddenly recognized your avatar, I think.. Isn't that Daedalus from SS2? Or was he from Deus Ex :confused:

superklye
09-11-04, 04:22 PM
I love this game. It is scary as hell and I got rather far but then got stuck. It was the part where you had to find the code on those pictures by going around and "activating" them and I could never find the last number. It was very frustrating.

I know a while back there was a mod being made that upped all the graphics and made the character models more polygonal. It was pretty sweet. There was a minor release that updated the half-wives or whatever they're called and a few other baddies. Good stuff. I wonder if that mod is still active...

Gaco
09-11-04, 04:29 PM
I never made a MOD before... In fact, I never even designed a real map in a game editor before, I haven't moddeled, coded ect.

But it might just begin with Doom3.. The obvious just struck me: Why haven't anyone made a System Shock 2 MOD for Doom3 yet? :D It would be so cool! Damn...

By the way, I've added a link for a demo of system shock 2 in the first post...

superklye
09-11-04, 04:30 PM
Doom 3 basically IS SS2 without the Role playing aspects. It's a sneaky shooter with scary enemies that jump out at you and scare the bejeezus out you.

superklye
09-11-04, 04:31 PM
Yup, played that game when it was first released and now I play through it again every once in a while, terrific game. I've seen a few neat enhancements for it, like a texture pack (can't remember what it's called), and the System Shock Rebirth (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm) pack that increases the detail on many of the creatures by a very huge margin. Unfortunatly, it seems that project is kinda dead now, but at least what they've released is pretty good.

But, you don't need a mod for multiplayer, the patch adds 4-player coop :D

I'm retarded. I didn't read your post until after I posted mine. This is the mod I was referring to.

Gaco
09-11-04, 04:32 PM
I know, and that whole aspect of the PDA, finding audio and video logs, is all PRETTY inspired by SS2 if you ask me... But that just means that it would be even easier to make a SS2-MOD, don't it? :)

Edge
09-11-04, 04:48 PM
Hey... I suddenly recognized your avatar, I think.. Isn't that Daedalus from SS2? Or was he from Deus Ex :confused:

Yup, Daedalus from Deus Ex, I get complimented on my avatar quite often :) (I even gif'd it myself)

But omg...a System Shock 2 mod for Doom 3...why the hell have I never thought about that before? Damn, I need to start organising one of these mod projects, if I ever get off my lazy butt and acually put one togeather I think the first thing I'd do is a conversion of System Shock 2 into the Doom 3 engine (the models from that Rebirth pack are almost Doom 3 quality anyway). Guess my Farcry Trespasser mod will have to wait, as well as my Half-life 2 Wol...oh wait, that's still a secret idea :D

Gaco
09-12-04, 06:59 AM
I just fell over this great little SS2 webpage. It gives link to a XP-patch (woohoo!), the official patch and the Reborn MOD: http://www.hollowbomb.com/html/sshock2/

Woodelf
09-12-04, 10:40 AM
I played it when it came out, but some bug stopped me from finishing it. it was somewhere around an elevator with stuff growing on the wall's. I think I was (i can't remember) trying to get it to work.

superklye
09-12-04, 02:07 PM
I played it when it came out, but some bug stopped me from finishing it. it was somewhere around an elevator with stuff growing on the wall's. I think I was (i can't remember) trying to get it to work.

Yup, that's the part I always get stuck at. You have to find some code to get further and I could never find the last number.

superklye
09-12-04, 02:08 PM
I just fell over this great little SS2 webpage. It gives link to a XP-patch (woohoo!), the official patch and the Reborn MOD: http://www.hollowbomb.com/html/sshock2/

Sweet! Thanks for the link. I don't remember having any issues playing it when I installed it on XP, but it's still nice to know that should a proble arise there is a fix available.

Gaco
09-12-04, 02:23 PM
Hm, I think my drivers is causing the game to crash, so im trying to go back to 65.77 from 66.31...

Gaco
09-12-04, 03:36 PM
Wohoo! Just as I said :D

Now its running perfect with the 65.77 drivers :)

superklye
09-12-04, 03:52 PM

Sweet deal. All this talk about the game really makes me want to install it and fire it up again...

nVestor
09-12-04, 05:06 PM

Hey Gaco,

I'm using the Forceware 61.77's and it runs perfectly at 1600x1200. My question is, did you have to turn off Hyper-Threading, like I had, in order to get it to run well?

I read it somewhere when I had considered installing it again. Seems to be correct, even still. I got the game along with my Voodoo3 a long time ago, though never played it till now... lol. Very fun game, sad I hadn't tried it out earlier.

karkrash81
09-12-04, 05:58 PM
Someone else recently tried starting a system shock mod but they were sent a cease and desist notice from the legal department of whoever owns the rights.

ouch....

Edge
09-13-04, 12:53 AM
Figures, that sucks. Doesn't really suprise me though, EA are hardasses when it comes to user-made games based on their lisences. Didn't you think it was kinda odd that there were no mods based on things like Ultima or James Bond...

SH0DAN
09-13-04, 01:51 PM
SS2 is my all time fave game,next to Planescape:Torment

superklye
09-13-04, 02:15 PM
SS2 is my all time fave game,next to Planescape:Torment

PS:T is so deliciously fantastic....mmmm....I cried at the end of that game, and to this day, it's the only game I've ever beaten without some sort of cheating for help. I almost beat Baldur's Gate 2 without cheating, but I remember using some money cheat to buy a sword that kicked insane amounts of ass.

Gaco
09-13-04, 03:17 PM
Hmm, how can you run it at 1600*1200?