PDA

View Full Version : New HL2 binktrailer "Coastline"

Gaco
09-11-04, 04:02 PM
Old E3-2004 footage, but now in the superior binkformat:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_6971.shtml

BioHazZarD
09-11-04, 04:20 PM
Release the god damn game instead of theese god forsaken bink videos!

Seoulstriker
09-11-04, 05:23 PM
Release the god damn game instead of theese god forsaken bink videos!

I hate how Valve is hyping up the game so badly yet the only thing they can produce is some bink video. I'll be laughing when someone finally manages to crack the encryption or whatever.

And what's really weird is that almost everything in that movie is straight out of Doom 3, except for the cheesy vehicle.

CaptNKILL
09-11-04, 05:38 PM
I hate how Valve is hyping up the game so badly yet the only thing they can produce is some bink video. I'll be laughing when someone finally manages to crack the encryption or whatever.

And what's really weird is that almost everything in that movie is straight out of Doom 3, except for the cheesy vehicle.
Encryption on what? The textures that can be pre-loaded with steam? No one has the game yet because its not done :|

Seoulstriker
09-11-04, 05:50 PM
Authentication with steam. I'm pretty sure that in order to play the game, even with a CD-copy, you need to authenticate with steam.

datamage
09-11-04, 06:15 PM
I seriously doubt that to play single player one would need to authenticate with Steam. So if one day the Steam servers are down, or my internet connection doesn't work, I can't play HL2? Not quite.

- D.

bonchez
09-11-04, 08:18 PM
Release the god damn game instead of theese god forsaken bink videos! AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edge
09-11-04, 08:33 PM
Actually, if you think about it Valve has been very busy lately. They've been releasing videos of HL2, they've been running the CS:S beta and fixing problems as they pop up (which is apperently no small feat I might add, since it sounds like it had so many problems!), they've been fixing and updating Steam (again, no small feat since it's full of problems!), they've been preloading HL2 files to users, and of course they've been working on Half-life 2. Though releasing videos is probably the easiest thing they've done, but hey, it's better than nothing. Wonder how close HL2 is to release, they sure have been pre-loading a lot of content for it lately...

Seoulstriker
09-11-04, 10:56 PM
Though releasing videos is probably the easiest thing they've done, but hey, it's better than nothing. Wonder how close HL2 is to release, they sure have been pre-loading a lot of content for it lately...

Valve has you exactly where they want you. Remember the release date, preciousssss? :ORDER:

Edge
09-11-04, 11:15 PM
Yeah, but back then people didn't have the full game sitting on their harddrive...oh wait...they did :D

Woodelf
09-12-04, 08:48 AM
Wonder how close HL2 is to release, they sure have been pre-loading a lot of content for it lately...
Valve has been very close to release for a couple of years now. :udawg:

Woodelf
09-12-04, 09:39 AM
Am I the only one here that think's this game looks totally dated compared to doom 3?.
And what's up with that music.
The only thing I see going for HL2 anymore is the ability to use the environment as a weapon.

Seoulstriker
09-12-04, 10:31 AM
Am I the only one here that think's this game looks totally dated compared to doom 3?.
The only thing I see going for HL2 anymore is the ability to use the environment as a weapon.

I totally agree. As I said before, non-unified lighting is going to kill them.

NAZCA M12
09-12-04, 03:14 PM
Could it be that the actual game was going to be a bunch a bink files? Because with the release of the latest bink video, we may have just finished the game folks (doh). :angel2: They're cool on re-releasing stuff we've seen months ago on higher resolutions but maybe it would be better to not do it at all unless they have sth new to show. Can't see myself buying it when it comes out just for that fake hype they're doing.

aAv7
09-12-04, 05:43 PM
Still so close to winning my $50 dollar bet. Only 3 and a half more months to go... a bet I want to lose, but know i'll win.

aAv7
09-12-04, 05:45 PM

I agree to an extent. The character models in doom 3 are awesome...(especially with the new skin mod pack) They blow away anything i've seen character-wise in HL2. But the enviornments are much more detailed in HL2.

Seoulstriker
09-12-04, 05:52 PM
I agree to an extent. The character models in doom 3 are awesome...(especially with the new skin mod pack) They blow away anything i've seen character-wise in HL2. But the enviornments are much more detailed in HL2.

I don't agree. There are indeed good textures of european-style buildings, but that doesn't make it detailed. It's the lightmaps that really fool everyone.

ENU291
09-12-04, 06:41 PM
After viewing the latest bink video I think HL2 is going to be a great game. The only thing that bothered me on that video is the shadows. What's up with the the shadows of storage container and the magnet? Pretty weak...

Edge
09-13-04, 12:49 AM
Yeah, it just uses basic projection shadows, same as Farcry's outdoor environments (where I also noticed a few "object casts shadow but rope holding object doesn't" scenarios). It's fast at least, but it would've been cool if they could've added stencil shadows or something for indoor environments.