PDA

View Full Version : PNY 6800 ULTRA Bios?

Eltigre88
09-11-04, 04:11 PM
I own the Ultra and have lockups in DOOM3. I was wondering if we have bad bios too like the guys that bought Gainward and had to flash them with Leadtech Bios. Is it possible? I can't contact PNY where I'm at so maybe someone has the answers.

bosox188
09-11-04, 07:59 PM
No, the PNY should be fine. Can't be your power supply, 600 watts is way more than enough unless it is REALLY ****ty, but it would have be extremely bad and low quality for it to not be able to run that 6800U.

bmg
09-11-04, 09:34 PM
I believe the PNY bios still has different 2D and 3D frequencies, which frequently causes stability problems. You really want your PNY bios to set them both to 425/1100. I think PNY is just slow getting a new bios out. Here's the post where I found that 2D and 3D the same was a key to stability http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=374869&postcount=19. I emailed evga about it almost 2 months ago and by now just about all the manufacturers have bios updates, except PNY.

Eltigre88
09-13-04, 09:31 PM
Yes under coolbits it does have different freqs for the 2d and 3d.
I'm here for 3 months so I hope PNY gets there **** together and has the bios out by December.
Thanks BMG! I will work on it when I get home. Right now my wife is using it and I'm sure it has not gone out of low gear since I left so no hurry!
My PSU is a CompUSA brand. Do you know who makes them for the store?

Bicka
09-28-04, 01:22 PM
Sorry if I've brought up an old thread but is there anyway of editing the 2d and 3d speeds other than by flashing a new bios update???

A mates got a pny 6800 ultra and he's having the same bother in games like cs. I have an ATI card now and its been too long since having nvidia drivers installed that I simply can't remember anyway of overclocking settings.

Also, I've gotten him to disable fastwrites in Rivatuner...but could someone explain what coolbits is. Is it part of the Nvidia drivers or a program?

Thank you very much!!!

saturnotaku
09-28-04, 01:40 PM
Also, I've gotten him to disable fastwrites in Rivatuner...but could someone explain what coolbits is. Is it part of the Nvidia drivers or a program?

Thank you very much!!!

Coolbits is a registry hack that enables several hidden options in the Forceware control panel. Look through our Forceware driver forums here for more information about Coolbits.

PSYCHODAD
09-28-04, 01:52 PM
I used rivatuner to set my 2D and 3D clocks (425 & 1100). It fixed my freezing problems with the PNY.

P-dad

Vagrant Zero
09-29-04, 01:05 AM
I personally don't reccomend setting 2d speeds to 3d speeds. As I was an early adopter [one of the first heh] to get a GT I've got the older bios where the memory speeds are the same in 2d/3d. Well this started cuasing problems in 2D...artifacting while using firefox [wasn't funny then]. I had to edit my Bios to push the 2d vcore from 1.1 to 1.3 to stabilize it.

PSYCHODAD
09-29-04, 03:39 AM
I personally don't reccomend setting 2d speeds to 3d speeds. As I was an early adopter [one of the first heh] to get a GT I've got the older bios where the memory speeds are the same in 2d/3d. Well this started cuasing problems in 2D...artifacting while using firefox [wasn't funny then]. I had to edit my Bios to push the 2d vcore from 1.1 to 1.3 to stabilize it.

I've had my card for some time now and no problems so far. It's stable and runs fairly cool. Figure as long as it's not broke I'll leave well enough alone.

bkswaney
09-29-04, 04:02 AM

My BFG stays the same on 2d and 3d on memory speeds.
The core changes buy not memory.

Anyone else with a BFG notice this?
I'm using coolbits2 to OC.

ginfest
09-29-04, 05:23 AM
My BFG stays the same on 2d and 3d on memory speeds.
The core changes buy not memory.

Anyone else with a BFG notice this?
I'm using coolbits2 to OC.

Same here with my BFG GT OC 400/1100 using
"Coolbits"=dword:ffffffff

Mike G