PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT oc. HELP!! OpenGL Init Failure??

zinjin
09-11-04, 05:30 PM
Just got home with my brand new BFG 6800GT oc 256mb card. Hands shaking, I replaced my ti4200 with this beast.
I uninstalled my old driver, rebooted, downloaded and installed the new one, rebooted, and everything is working fine.....
Until I start a game.
First game I try just locked up and I had to reboot. The second one told me (and I quote) OpenGL Initializaiton Failure. To Play Soldier of Fortune IIL Double Helix, please verify that your card is OpenGL compliant. If it is, update to the latest video drivers.
What???
I am absolute going insane trying to figure this one out. I have reinstalled the drivers twice, and even tried the drivers that came on the disc.
HELP ME PLEASE!!
:)

bobkn
09-11-04, 06:27 PM
I haven't had this particular problem, but you may have files left over from your GF 4 card. (The uninstall does not necessarily remove everything.)

You might try Drivercleaner (www.drivercleaner.net).

Good luck.

bosox188
09-11-04, 07:56 PM
Ok I doubt it's the drivers but for some strange reason it thinks that your card doesn't support OpenGL. Very strange, maybe it is the TI4200 leftovers, though the TI4200 is an Nvidia and would run on the same drivers. Whatever it is, it's gotta be a driver problem. Are you sure the drivers are working, and the card is detected as a 6800?

Warden13
09-12-04, 08:19 AM
Bobkn hit the nail on the head. Your best bet is to follw the below procedure.

1) Boot into safe mode
2) Uninstall Nvidia drivers
3) Run Driver Cleaner (I always run it twice)
4) Reboot into safe mode
5) Install new drivers
6) Reboot and enjoy :)

Warden

Cornmuffen
09-12-04, 12:15 PM
Thats the exact thing i would say. And safe mode does it better being windows tries to install native WU drivers.

Cheers:
Steve

kyleb
09-12-04, 04:18 PM
Hands shaking, I replaced my ti4200 with this beast.
I uninstalled my old driver, rebooted, downloaded and installed the new one, rebooted, and everything is working fine.....

That is where you messed up; next time, uninstall the driver and then remove the card. ;)