PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

BobFritzelpuff
09-11-04, 05:36 PM
I am trying to run a game that has a system requirement of 'NVidia Detonator 45.23 or better' (I have NVidia Getforce3) and NVidia Generic OpenGL 1.4.0 drivers (I have NVidia corporation 13.1)

I would really like to be able to play the game, but I am computer illiterate. Can somebody please help me?

I posted this in another forum, but I think it was the wrong one. Sorry.

EciDemon
09-11-04, 05:52 PM
A trip to www.nvidia.com and downloading the latest drivers there should do the trick. Make sure you have latest DirectX installed too

BobFritzelpuff
09-11-04, 06:08 PM
Thanks, I tried that. But when I try and open it, it can't (it says I need to find a program to open it with) and I can't figure out how to type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run" into the install driver. Heck, I don't even know what an isntall driver is! Could you please help?

bobkn
09-11-04, 06:33 PM
Uh,

What operating system are you using?

From the sound of it, you're attempting to install Linux drivers on a Windows system. (If you are, as you say, computer illiterate, it seems unlikely that you'd be running Linux.)

The drivers are now called "forceware" rather than "detonator". The latest ones are 61.76 for Win9X (includes Millenium Edition) and 61.77 (for Windows 2000 and XP).

Good luck.

BobFritzelpuff
09-11-04, 06:44 PM
I don't really know what I am doing. The game I was trying to run recomended a software update, and sent me to the NVidia.com driver download page. I downloaded the drivers, what I need to know is how to install them. Sorry about being unclear.

Rytr
09-11-04, 06:58 PM
List your operating system such as WindowXP, Windows2000, and system components. You have already mentioned you are using a GF3.

BobFritzelpuff
09-11-04, 07:54 PM
Sorry. We have Windows XP Profesional.

Rytr
09-11-04, 08:27 PM
Once you have downloaded the driver open the file and find the install program or 'set up'. Double click it and follow directions.

kahloq
09-11-04, 08:31 PM
The driver file you have that you downloaded from Nvidia is an EXE file. Meaning its an executable file. When you double click it.....it will extract the files within it(just as if they were ziped up..meaning compressed).
It should pop up a little window asking you or telling you where they will be extracted to.....pay attention to the location and write it down if you need to. You will then need to use Windows Explorer....found in Start-Programs-Accessories. Open Windows explorer and navigate to the location. You should already have used Windows Explorer to double click the EXE file anyhow unless you chose RUN when you downloaded the file from Nvidia.

If you chose RUN from nvidia's site, then it will go through the installation without needing to manually go to Windows Explorer.

Click this link: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77 and then click Primary Download Site. When a little window opens up it will ask you to accept user agreement. Scroll down and click on the grey Accept button. A new window will pop up and it will ask you if you want to RUN or save the file. Click RUN and it will begin the install process. There may be a few prompts, just click ok or continue. When done...it will tell you its finished. Click the Finish button and then click the restart button if that option is given.

BobFritzelpuff
09-12-04, 08:14 AM
Um, all the drivers there for download are .run files. (I downloaded NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0283-pkg1 and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1) when I try to open the file, asks me which program to open it with (use Internet Explorer to find a program or select a program from a list). It doesn't give me a chance to extract it. How do I install these files, or where do I get the .exe files?

Thanks!