PDA

View Full Version : CompUSA has PNY 6800 Ultra

Pantherman
09-11-04, 07:19 PM
I just passed by my local CompUSA and it had four PNY 6800 Ultra cards in stock. I already have two 6800 GTs in my systems, but it looks like the 6800 Ultra is finally showing up in stores. I can't say the same for the X800 XT PE, but the X800 Pro is readily available now.

Elvis2
09-11-04, 08:37 PM
I ordered an eVGA 6800 Ultra bundled with Far Cry and free shipping from Circut City last Tues. and got it yesterday. Awesome card :) . Much better than my 9800XT and the X800 Pro I returned to get the Ultra. I guess they're OOS now tho... :(

rek981
09-11-04, 08:40 PM
confirmed, i picked one up today in miami

bosox188
09-11-04, 08:51 PM
I hope you're not thinking of buying an Ultra. Geez, you've already got 2 GT's. I know if you get a job and save up money you can get a top end system, but not 2 GT's and an Ultra.

john19055
09-12-04, 09:21 AM
The EVGA 6800ultra is a good card the one that I have overclocks great too. and it don'nt get near as hot as I have seen some uLtra's do.

RacerX27
09-12-04, 10:46 AM
I saw the web page status for stock at the 2 local CompUSA's. I picked up a PNY 6800 Ultra on Thursday night.

WOW is it fast!

Drivers are buggerd though. I can't find one that works for everything. I'll miss the Cat's.

Pantherman
09-12-04, 10:58 AM
I'm happy with my 2 GTs. I don't think my power supplies could handle an Ultra. They're both only about 300 Watts. The Gt is still a great performer, but you really need a top-line CPU to take advantage of it. My P4 3.0C GHz and Athlon 64 3200+ are both good CPUs, but they're definitely no longer able to get the most out of the 6800 Ultra.

DivotMaker
09-12-04, 11:26 AM
Traded my PNY GT in for the PNY Ultra on Thursday and it is nice to be able to run this card a tad faster than the GT ran overclocked. IOW, the extra $100 was worth it to me not to have to screw with overclocking an already INSANELY FAST card....

OWA
09-12-04, 11:42 AM
Traded my PNY GT in for the PNY Ultra on Thursday and it is nice to be able to run this card a tad faster than the GT ran overclocked. IOW, the extra $100 was worth it to me not to have to screw with overclocking an already INSANELY FAST card....
Did you do this at CompUSA using their trade-in plan? If so, how did it go? Hassle-free?

DivotMaker
09-12-04, 11:44 AM
Did you do this at CompUSA using their trade-in plan? If so, how did it go? Hassle-free?

No, I used their TAP (Technology Assurance Plan) plan to do this. And yes, it was completely hassle-free.

OWA
09-12-04, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the info.

Well, sure enough. I checked the website and they had some available locally. I was just there yesterday and didn't see them. Today, they're there and being advertised in the flyer. So, I got one. Now I'm not sure what to do since I have one card too many and since I've never sold anything online I'm not sure I'd have much luck with that.

Elvis2
09-12-04, 02:08 PM
the extra $100 was worth it to me not to have to screw with overclocking an already INSANELY FAST card...

yeah, that's why I got the Ultra instead. hey, if I don't like it, I can always return it for a full refund in two weeks.

Eltigre88
09-14-04, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info.

Well, sure enough. I checked the website and they had some available locally. I was just there yesterday and didn't see them. Today, they're there and being advertised in the flyer. So, I got one. Now I'm not sure what to do since I have one card too many and since I've never sold anything online I'm not sure I'd have much luck with that.

One word EBAY! Will sell quickly! :)

Zetto
09-14-04, 01:16 PM
CompUSA charges 15% restocking fee on opened products ;) So, unless u have a shrink-wrap machine, u either will have to keep 6800 ultra or suffer a $75 loss (assuming u opened it already :D ) :nanahump:

DivotMaker
09-14-04, 01:22 PM
CompUSA charges 15% restocking fee on opened products ;) So, unless u have a shrink-wrap machine, u either will have to keep 6800 ultra or suffer a $75 loss (assuming u opened it already :D ) :nanahump:

Not if the returned product is defective.

I have returned things to the CompUSA in my area that I simply did not like with no restocking fee. I realize there is a policy in place, but as long as it is not abused, they are pretty good about returns from my personal experiences....

OWA
09-14-04, 02:30 PM
One word EBAY! Will sell quickly! :)
Wouldn't I have trouble selling things on ebay since I don't have any feedback (never used it before)?

I had worked out a deal to trade my X800 Pro for an xbox and a game or two but ended up holding off on that for now. I moved the GT to the system that has the HDTV wonder and discovered they don't work as well together as the X800 Pro / HDTV Wonder combo. So I'm back to trying to figure out what to do but for now I'm holding on to all 3.

As far as the PNY 6800U, I have a fairly recent bios but it didn't have the 2D and 3D speeds set the same. That was surprising. Overall, it ended up just being an minor improvement over the GT for me (sort of expected although I did expect more of a bump in speed than I got) but I had been wanting the Ultra for so long I couldn't pass it up when I found it locally. It's a little noiser than the GT but not too bad.

Pantherman
09-14-04, 08:22 PM
I'm happy with my 6800 GTs. I don't need to have the fastest cards on the market.