PDA

View Full Version : Please Read! About our GT's and Ultra's

Cornmuffen
09-12-04, 08:07 PM
Alot of people are concered about their temps at idle and full load with the new Nvidia 6800 Cards. And people riged fans in the slots and hoped it would cool down their GPU's.

For antec case or any really with 2 exhaust fans in back and 2 in front, you need to if not put a fan on side panal with dremel or circle cutter and put a thermaltake or antec fan, top pics, blowing air right over GPU or pulling air in from outside so total of 5 fans should do it.

This project took about 15 to 20 degrees off my idle teps and full load temps.

Before idle 66c load 84
After 58c load 70 and when running powerhouse games for more than a hour

What a difference it makes mounting a fan right on side panal parrallel with gpu.

Hope this works for you guys.

Nice day
Steve

-=DVS=-
09-12-04, 09:31 PM
Both temps are well within limit so don't worry to mutch if you managed to get 70'C at load your set ;)

scott123
09-12-04, 09:43 PM
I have an Antec case with no side panel fan (4 inside though). I run 48-49c in 2D and 67-68c under load running R_tool in windowed mode and observing my temp in real time. Bottom line is if you run cooler with your case cover on then off, you have proper case air-flow.

Cornmuffen
09-12-04, 10:16 PM
Good air cooling is always best. but more is better when adding fans in key spots not the defult. If their is no fan slots, makem.

Good day folks
steve

Clay
09-12-04, 10:18 PM
Unless you're knocking on >90C under load there's really no reason for concern. The engineering threshold is 135C afterall. This is still good info for those that are concerned for whatever reason they may have.

Cornmuffen
09-13-04, 12:05 AM
This is true and the fan im pulling the air in over the ultra is a cheesey 5 dollar fan with lights but i ordered a top end 80mm thermaltake fan with a nice alienhead fan grill over at thinkgeeks and that fan will do even better making my gpu go down to around 55c so folks the cooler you can make your gt's or ultra's have fun ocing those cards too.

Hope i could be helpful but even if you don't oc the extra cooling is always good.

later folks.
Steve

Chippy
09-13-04, 03:09 AM
I can't see this is necessary. I have 2 (low speed) intake 80mm fans and 1 (low speed) 80mm exhaust. And a PSU on Low fan settings. Thats all I have.

And my idle temps are 52C. Load is low 60's. This is with a 6800GT at 370MHz.

I don't know why your temps were so high before, but the fact that the new fan makes so much difference makes me think perhaps the airflow in your case isn't all it should be. What's your cabling like? When I spent a couple of hours really tidying up the cabling, it made a *huge* differece to my temps.

Chip

Cornmuffen
09-13-04, 11:56 AM
rounded cabling for the optical drives and 2 serial ata cables for the hd's. Im overclocking too but even at defult my idle temps were 62c to 65c so. I use top name parts and damn good cabling but you know working around the molic connectors on the ultra makes it a bitch to tidy up their but im good.

One thing i do am comfused about is even with the blowing air over the top of the card is really cooling off the card or does it blow air over the sensor making you believe its 58c when in reality the SOB is 65c?

interesting.

later

PSYCHODAD
09-14-04, 03:40 AM
My Thermaltake case has an intake fan that blows over the 6800u GPU. Idle temps are usually around 46-47c and load temps never get above the mid 60c area. I feel that it is always preferable to run a bit on the cool side in order to extend the life of the components.

The intake fan over thre GPU really seems to help alot. The 6800u actually runs cooler than my 5900FX card.

crainger
09-14-04, 04:17 AM
I have a stock Antec SuperLANboy case, with rounded cables and SATA cables, a NV silencer with AS5 paste and my GT never goes above 60C... But I have a rather cold roomand with water cooling theres no HOT CPU air in the case.