PDA

View Full Version : So many problems with 6800s (Why?)

Pages : [1] 2 3

DJMONDY
09-13-04, 07:30 AM
I havnt even recieved my 6800 Ultra yet and im reading over and over again about problems people are having with these cards.

1.Freezing
2.Lockups
3.Fastwrites turn on\off
4.AGP Aperture size
5.PSU not good enough
6.Wrong bios with card

The main thing i was worried about is my PSU wouldnt be good enough for my new card but now things are getting worse. Will i really have to check all these things if i have problems???

I dont really want to flash the bios if its the wrong one or underclock the card coz it crashes all the time and i didnt really want to spend more money on a psu!!

Should i be worried?

azanon
09-13-04, 08:12 AM
First, it depends on your skill level. There are a lot of do-it-yourselfers that have no business opening their case. I'm pretty confident that the majority of folks problems is because they did something wrong.

I think there is a legitimate "mild" concern with the ultras, especially, "ultra extremes" because it seems like these cards are basically overclocked GT's out of the factory, ala added molex connector to run it faster, and identical core to the gt running 50mhz faster stock. A GT would have been slightly less risky i think.

Is your PSU high quality? (did it cost 100 dollars or more?) If not, you might have a concern there. I think there's a little too much focus on what the 12v rail supposedly puts out, and not enough talk about the quality of the power supply. I have a GT, and my PSU only puts out by spec 15a on the 12v rail, but its a PC Cooling and Power Supply brand, so the quality level is high, and i've had no problems.

I'm not aware of any video cards shipping with a non-working bios. Now its possible your mb might need a new bios to work with it (not likely though).

Nutty
09-13-04, 08:20 AM
I agree with azanon. Never had any trouble with mine since the minute I put it in. Overclocking can damage the card. Just because you put it back to stock doesn't mean you haven't done something that can cause problems. Personally I dont bother overclocking the graphics card much, if at all.

Cream
09-13-04, 08:24 AM
I've had no problems with my BFG.
I'm running a 450watt PSU and have my card O.C. to 410/1100 all with stock cooling.
I think what you will find is pepole are 'playing' to much with there cards, pushing them beyonder reasonable limits then complaining when the goes tits up.

Skinner
09-13-04, 08:27 AM
No trouble here, works excellent. I must say I never had any problems, its just a matter of choosing quality components, like PSU, mobo etc and some basic pc skills ;)

skoprowski
09-13-04, 08:28 AM
I have never had a single issue with my XFX 6800 Ultra- no crash or lockup. I got one of the very first 6800 Ultras that NewEgg got in. I am using a 550watt Antec power supply and a nforce3 250 motherboard though- don't know if that is the difference or not. The funny thing is that even though I got one of the first 6800 Ultra's my bios keep the 3d and 2d gpu core clocked the same at 425.

Scott

saturnotaku
09-13-04, 08:31 AM
No problems with my 6800 Ultra, at least in regards to lockups and so forth. The only problems I've had have been driver related but after some tweaking/adjustments from this forum, everything is peachy.

mustrum
09-13-04, 08:46 AM
They are no ATI cards? *duck*
Sorry only messing with ya. :lol2:
As allready mentionend it's the biggest problem of all in 90% of all cases: THE GUY BEHIND THE KEYBOARD!
(rofl2)

DJMONDY
09-13-04, 09:15 AM
I should be ok then.....Im not interested in overclocking, flashing or taking the card apart. The only thing im gonna do myself is install the card and test it on my fave games to make sure they run ok.

Im awaiting a XFX 6800 Ultra and alot of people on this forum say they are bad compared to BFG and Gainward etc. Ive had PNY in the past with no trouble but a few people on this forum dont like that brand either???

If all goes well then the card will be left in the AGP slot a stock until i decide to upgrade again.

My PSU might be a problem coz i dont know much about them. I got it here:http://www.buypcbits.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Power_Supply_Units___PSU__and_Acrylic_PSUs_46 .html its the 550w acrylic PSU.

oozish
09-13-04, 09:36 AM
550w should be plenty, even in a lesser brand (best brand like antec and power and cooling)....just make sure to plug the card into it's own separate rail (no other items plugged in along that line).

DivotMaker
09-13-04, 09:43 AM
Ive had PNY in the past with no trouble but a few people on this forum dont like that brand either???

Can't speak for anyone else, but I have not had a single issue with any PNY card I have owned and that would include a 6800GT and as of last Thursday, a 6800 Ultra.

DJMONDY
09-13-04, 09:45 AM
550w should be plenty, even in a lesser brand (best brand like antec and power and cooling)....just make sure to plug the card into it's own separate rail (no other items plugged in along that line).

Is there any way i can test my PSU to see if it will or wont be good enough for my new card??

If it isnt will it damage my new 6800U??

mustrum
09-13-04, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't say that. PC Games HArdware (a german magazine) did tests on PSU stability and this test showed that Doom 3 is the most power sucking game on the market yet. Cheap PSUs were stable with all games but Doom 3 brought their 550 Watts cheapo PSU to crash the game. Even the 300W FANLESS quality PSU with very low amps on the rails remained stable but the 550 noneam crapped out.

Nothing is more worthless than wattage. Read reviews befor you buy a power supply.

Edit: It wont damage your 6800 U normally. On the other hand i had a 350W forton burning down allready. It didn't take any other part with it into death though (i pulled the plug when i smelled the burning PSU though). I think most PSUs get unstable and crash the system before they burn down though.

What you can do: Take a multimeter and test the rails idle and under PRIME95 torture test (load). The rails shouldn't differ more than 5% from stock. Do the same with your ULTRA inside. If the rails remain stable your PSU is just fine, no matter if nonam or not.
Forget software readings: MBM5 shows my rail at 11.7v but in reality it'S at 12.4v. It shows my 5v rail at 4.5v but in reality it's rocksolid at 5v.

s-flow
09-13-04, 10:01 AM
I havnt even recieved my 6800 Ultra yet and im reading over and over again about problems people are having with these cards.

1.Freezing
2.Lockups
3.Fastwrites turn on\off
4.AGP Aperture size
5.PSU not good enough
6.Wrong bios with card

The main thing i was worried about is my PSU wouldnt be good enough for my new card but now things are getting worse. Will i really have to check all these things if i have problems???

I dont really want to flash the bios if its the wrong one or underclock the card coz it crashes all the time and i didnt really want to spend more money on a psu!!

Should i be worried?

Just adding, the thing is that one of the main reason for these
forums are to get help when things goes wrong. So whatever graphics card
forum you browse you will find the same discussion about:

1.Freezing
2.Lockups
3.Fastwrites turn on\off
4.AGP Aperture size

These might worry you a bit if you have a poor quality powersupply and/or get unlucky to recive a card with bad bios. (is there
more brands then gainward with this problem?)

5.PSU not good enough
6.Wrong bios with card

I run my GT at 400/1100 with a crappy 300W 13A PSU, no problem.

I wouldn´t be worried.. :)

Ruined
09-13-04, 10:14 AM
The first couple of months Ultras were sold, the BIOS in all of them was faulty and could cause system instability due to clock timing issues. The fixed BIOS is available here:
http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=303

6800NU/6800GT cards have been fine, ultras had been more problematic due to the BIOS problems that are now fixed.

subbo
09-13-04, 11:13 AM
My 6800GT has been a solid performer, not a single crash. Only my high-end TFT is giving the DVI a run for its money.

Also ironically, the nforce2 chipset is to blame for most of the other problems besides the BIOS. I have a KT800 so not a single glitch.

MrMike
09-13-04, 11:28 AM
The fixed BIOS is available here:
http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?op...r&filecatid=303

I don't understand why some people recommend people go anywhere besides the manufacturer of their particular card for bios updates. Don't do it. Talk to your manufacturer. You have a warrenty for a reason, no need to screw around with some link from some other site.

As far as problems go I've had zero with my evga 6800 ultra.

einstein_314
09-13-04, 12:09 PM
Every since I got my xfx 6800 ultra I've had not a single problem. No freezing or lockups (except when I was overclocking and went a bit too high). I'm running mine at 445/1.21 with not a single problemo. All I did was plug it in and voila, it works. You should have no problems at all.

PSYCHODAD
09-13-04, 12:39 PM
Had problems with my PNY 6800U when I first got it. Used Rivatuner to set 2d&3d core speeds to match each other, also disabled FW in the bios. Haven't had a single problem since.

Ghostguy
09-13-04, 12:53 PM
BFG 6800GT OC here as well. Win XP Home SP2 with the 61.77 drivers.
Card runs great so far with...

Far Cry (using sm 3.0 btw)
Doom 3
Neverwinter Nights/Shadows of Undrentide/Hordes of Darkness
Age Of Mythology/The Titans
WarCraft III/The Frozen Throne
SW: Knights of the Old Republic
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Tribes: Vengeance Demo

I still have to reinstall UT2004, Call of Duty etc. I just did a fresh format last week when I got the card.

DJMONDY
09-13-04, 01:13 PM
Thats another thing i needed to ask.....how do i turn on/off Fastwrites??

Ive checked my bios and theres no way to disable or enable it! Is there another way to do this if i have problems?

odin20
09-13-04, 01:14 PM
mine works great with watercooling and i overclock like crazy, ive had some driver isuues but thats it.
You are gonna see the people post alot more that atre not happy then the ones that are.
Thats true of all forums, better than x800xt ya cannot even get one to complain about hhehehe

Cream
09-13-04, 01:49 PM
Had problems with my PNY 6800U when I first got it. Used Rivatuner to set 2d&3d core speeds to match each other, also disabled FW in the bios. Haven't had a single problem since.

That's interesting as I have 2d clocked to 370-1100 and 3d to 410-1100 . My thinking was that I didn't need the extra speed in 2d :crosseye:

Fx-Rat
09-13-04, 06:11 PM
I bought a BFG 6800 ultra from Fry's and it was bad tryed to flash the bios to see if it would fix it but falsh couldn't detect it, Bought a BFG 6800 GT from bestbuy and it worked great, but took it back to get another ultra and say the 6800 oc on the shelf and DOH :retard: thought it was a 6800 GT 128mb card and was going to put it in my wifes computer and put it in and it worked great but was just a 6800 oc :retard: :retard: don't know what I was thinking at the time,I ordered a ultra when I got home and checked the forums the next day and found aASUS AX800 XT and ordered it to, sold the 6800ultra to my brother and it worked, no problems, So one bad BFG, and 3 Good BFG cards.

I know I have a ATI and Im on the Nvidia fourms , but I took a 5900 ultra on trade for the 6800 ultra so my wife could had a videocard.

Nutty
09-13-04, 06:14 PM
Also ironically, the nforce2 chipset is to blame for most of the other problems besides the BIOS. I have a KT800 so not a single glitch.

Eh?! I've got an nforce2, and its rock solid.