PDA

View Full Version : Stop calling everything photorealistic!

Pages : [1] 2

Subtestube
09-13-04, 08:41 AM
I was unsure of where to put this - please feel free to move it.

WHY must people INSIST on describing every new game as photorealistic. I was browsing a 1997 PC Gamer the other day, and it described a game as photorealistic. I examined the graphics, and was smug in my noting that 'No, this doesn't look at all like a photo. In fact, it doesn't even begin to look like a game now. Ha ha ha." HOWEVER, now it's all happening again. THESE GAMES DO NOT LOOK LIKE PHOTOS. They don't even look NEARLY like photos or film. Go ahead, actually compare them. See if I'm wrong.

The only computer graphics that I actually have difficulty picking are:
a) Some VERY high quality film effects that are slipped in with Real Life footage.
b) Radiosity and Photon Mapped high res static renders of VERY well modelled scenes.

Note that I'm not saying we will never get photorealistic games, but guys, STOP LYING TO YOURSELVES! Current games are not photorealistic - we're still at least a few years from that milestone.

vampireuk
09-13-04, 09:03 AM
This thread is photorealistic

zakelwe
09-13-04, 09:21 AM
Me and my wife will have to rename our 2nd child now I guess , shame, I thought it was a good name.

At least it will stop our dog wandering over when we mention our childs name, he is called Photorealistic too.

Regards

Photorealistic.

stncttr908
09-13-04, 10:19 AM

WHY must people INSIST on describing every new game as photorealistic. I was browsing a 1997 PC Gamer the other day, and it described a game as photorealistic. I examined the graphics, and was smug in my noting that 'No, this doesn't look at all like a photo. In fact, it doesn't even begin to look like a game now. Ha ha ha." HOWEVER, now it's all happening again. THESE GAMES DO NOT LOOK LIKE PHOTOS. They don't even look NEARLY like photos or film. Go ahead, actually compare them. See if I'm wrong.

a) Some VERY high quality film effects that are slipped in with Real Life footage.
b) Radiosity and Photon Mapped high res static renders of VERY well modelled scenes.

Note that I'm not saying we will never get photorealistic games, but guys, STOP LYING TO YOURSELVES! Current games are not photorealistic - we're still at least a few years from that milestone.
You said game(s) six times and you don't know where to put the thread. :rolleyes:

S.I.N
09-13-04, 10:40 AM
Stop calling everything photorealistic?

WHY must people INSIST on describing every new game as photorealistic.

What games are these? With all the shiny overdone effects in games of late I dont see how anyone could say this. The playstation 2 has more photorealistic games coming out than the computer.

|JuiceZ|
09-13-04, 10:52 AM
You said game(s) six times and you don't know where to put the thread. :rolleyes:

lol, good point :o

vampireuk
09-13-04, 11:12 AM
lol, good point :o

Thats some awesome photorealistic moderating there JuiceZ :thumbsup:

Arioch
09-13-04, 11:16 AM
What games are these? With all the shiny overdone effects in games of late I dont see how anyone could say this. The playstation 2 has more photorealistic games coming out than the computer.

You almost sounded convincing until you put Playstation 2 in there.

Fatman
09-13-04, 11:42 AM
I'm going to have to call BS on this one. Many modern games use real photos for textures, Max Payne, STALKER, etc. Granted the resolution is not as high as real world, but it is photo-realistic. Take a look at some flight sims, namely IL2 and LOMAC. Mortal Kombat is another good example. That game is 10 years old, the characters are 2 dimensional, yet photo-realistic.

|JuiceZ|
09-13-04, 11:42 AM
Thats some awesome photorealistic moderating there JuiceZ :thumbsup:

:rofl

I hate to talk about the guy but really, is it that serious? So someone says a "game" looks photorealistic, no biggie everyone has the right to their own opinion.

majortom
09-13-04, 12:19 PM

no, YOURE too photorealistic! i'll have to drop my LOD.

S.I.N
09-13-04, 12:34 PM
You almost sounded convincing until you put Playstation 2 in there.

Playstation 2 has Grand Turismo 4 and Ace Combat 5 coming. I played both of the previous ones and there replay feature were near photorealistic and this time around they say the graphics has improved. Most PC racing games running at higher resolutions cant even come close to the reply feature of Grand Turismo 3 that sometimes looked as if you were watching TV and not a game.

SH64
09-13-04, 12:40 PM
Why .. isnt this photorealistic ?? :(

http://www.hardocp.com/images/news/1083167415yi0P4wZsnf_1_1_l.jpg

aAv7
09-13-04, 12:57 PM
my e-penis is photorealistic.

Edge
09-13-04, 01:19 PM
Maybe people are calling games photorealistic because they ARE photorealistic. Oh sure, you might noticed differences, but I doubt any random person you ask on the street about pictures from Unreal Engine 3 or some STALKER shots will even know it's not a photograph unless you tell them. Hell, my parents thought that picture of an Unreal Engine 3 character was a guy in a rubber suit :rolleyes:
And parts of Doom 3's environments look fairly photorealistic, if you stand a long ways away from the screen and don't notice the extremely ridged shadows, heh.

And yes, a lot of upcoming racing games do actually have VERY near-photorealistic graphics. Hell, even the original Ralisport Challenge had some parts that looked fairly convincing, and that game is several years old. Here's a test: print out a picture that someone says looks "photorealistic", and then show it to a friend or family member and ask them what it is. See if they even notice that it's not a real photo, if they don't say anything about it being fake then chances are that would be photorealistic ;)

MrMike
09-13-04, 03:46 PM
Because by the definition of photorealistic, they are:

pho·to-re·al·ism (ft-r-lzm)
n.

A style of painting that resembles photography in its meticulous attention to realistic detail.

photo-real·ist adj. & n.
photo·real·istic adj.

So maybe the original poster doesn't really understand what is meant by photorealistic.

If it completely looked like a photo then it would be called a photo, not photorealistic.

saturnotaku
09-13-04, 03:55 PM
If it completely looked like a photo then it would be called a photo, not photorealistic.

Good point. :)

DaveW
09-13-04, 05:05 PM
All previews of new game engines look photo-realistic compared to today's games. Once we get used to them though, they don't look photo-realistic anymore. We are still a long way off from photo-realism. Even the characters in nVidia's demos (e.g. Dawn, Dusk, Nalu) don't look photo-realistic and thats with every ounce of GPU power going towards a single character. When PCs can render characters with 10 times the detail, and render 10,000 objects of that detail (crowds of people, detailed trees and building etc). THEN it will be photorealistic. We aren't even 1% of the way there.

superklye
09-13-04, 05:19 PM
the original doom was photorealistic. ever since then, games have gotten worse and worse.

CaptNKILL
09-13-04, 06:01 PM
the original doom was photorealistic. ever since then, games have gotten worse and worse.
Your avatar is photorealistic :retard:

Subtestube
09-13-04, 06:17 PM
*Sigh*. Well.. fair enough I suppose... I'll just have to admit that billboarded trees & grass, the complete lack of global illumination, and the polygonal silhouettes are absolutely photorealistic. My apologies for not noticing that bump mapping and artificially soft shadows actually represent something that 'resembles photography in its meticulous attention to realistic detail".

Sorry... I'm willing to give that something that doesn't look like a real photo is 'photorealistic', but surely there should be a slightly stronger resemblance?

Oh, and cheers for the moderation - you make an extremely good point.

Woodelf
09-13-04, 06:21 PM
Why .. isnt this photorealistic ?? :(

http://www.hardocp.com/images/news/1083167415yi0P4wZsnf_1_1_l.jpg
Wasn't this photo a fake?.

Anyway, I've allready succeeded photorealism with all games ever made when wearing my red and blue lensed photorealisticating gogles. :inform:

superklye
09-14-04, 12:17 AM
Wasn't this photo a fake?.

Anyway, I've allready succeeded photorealism with all games ever made when wearing my red and blue lensed photorealisticating gogles. :inform:

hahahahaha i love that picture

911medic
09-14-04, 11:54 PM
I was on a computer at work, and the site I was on had a screenshot of a beach scene from Far Cry (not a faked one, LOL). A co-worker of mine saw it and asked "Wow, where's that?"

Photorealistic enough for me.

kyleb
09-15-04, 12:10 PM
Here is a photo-realistic image I created of a well lit white sheet of paper: