PDA

View Full Version : Cooling paste on GPU?

lone_bullet
09-13-04, 01:25 PM
Hi,

I have just bought my ASUS V9999GE G6800 and have some spare Artic Silver 5 left...should I use it on my GPU? Because it has OC capabilities to a 'near GT'. If "yes": how shoud I do it without risking too much, only GU or both memory and GPU? I have allready dismanteled (sorry for spelling) the card once...not knowing that the warrantie is gone then. I'll be using the standard cooler and perhaps in the future (in 2 years or so) the artic cooler 5

Thx for reading ;)

MrMike
09-13-04, 03:51 PM
You are limited by more than clock speed in getting a normal 6800 up to GT speeds.

Mud
09-13-04, 04:15 PM
the V9999GE is a nicely put together piece of kit (i have one), and clocks to 420/1.1 stock, easy. when you say you have spare ac5 left how much of the stuff have you used? even the tiny syringe lasts an age, it doesn't apply like silicon based thermal paste. too much is quickly inhibitive.

personally i'd leave the card stock and just clock through software (smartdoctor, rivatuner or just with the drivers)...the cooler on the card is already damn quiet (with smartcooling) and pretty effective. the card has temperature monitors on the GPU and RAM, so just set conservative overheat protection and all should be fine.

dpagan
09-13-04, 04:16 PM
well acording to the reviews i've read this particular card is already clocked at gt speeds including the use of gddr3 memory, but it still has 4 pipe disabled as well as one vertex disabled as well, in regards to using AS5 on your card i would recomend it, AS5 is a very good product and the cooling that your card has is more than sufficient and very nice too, AS5 will help it perform better. in other words keep your heatsink and fan and do add AS5

Mud
09-13-04, 05:07 PM
well acording to the reviews i've read this particular card is already clocked at gt speeds including the use of gddr3 memory, but it still has 4 pipe disabled as well as one vertex disabled as well, in regards to using AS5 on your card i would recomend it, AS5 is a very good product and the cooling that your card has is more than sufficient and very nice too, AS5 will help it perform better. in other words keep your heatsink and fan and do add AS5

stock, its 350/1000, the core has been clocked by 25MHz above its counterpart gfx boards. it does indeed have ddr3 but only 12 pipelines.

Rob80
09-13-04, 08:37 PM
the V9999GE is a nicely put together piece of kit (i have one), and clocks to 420/1.1 stock, easy. when you say you have spare ac5 left how much of the stuff have you used? even the tiny syringe lasts an age, it doesn't apply like silicon based thermal paste. too much is quickly inhibitive.

personally i'd leave the card stock and just clock through software (smartdoctor, rivatuner or just with the drivers)...the cooler on the card is already damn quiet (with smartcooling) and pretty effective. the card has temperature monitors on the GPU and RAM, so just set conservative overheat protection and all should be fine.

This guy is exactly right. I have this card as well and I OC it to 440/1170 with no issues. It runs quiet & the temps are well within whats expected of a 6800. This card won't clock past 1200 and I doubt AS5 is going to give you and real perfomance gains. Unless you're water cooling, don't touch it ~ Ya might **** it up or something~ (bam)

Phalinx
09-13-04, 09:51 PM
Has anybody tried Arctic Silver Ceramique on the gpu core? Just wondering if it is better than AS5 or AS3. I currrently have it applied to my Intel 3.0HT. My ambient temps for the cpu range from 29c - 31c. Load is sometimes around 37c -41c depending on the application being used.

Cheers

Phalinx

crainger
09-14-04, 05:10 AM
I've heard from mates who believe that some 6800's already have AS5 on the core, but some dodgey thermal pads on the RAM.

lone_bullet
09-14-04, 11:45 AM
Well thx for replying...so I guess I'll just leave it the way it is.
Too bad you can't unlock the VP and Pipelines...I would have a Ultra then :angel2: