PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 6800GT/Ultra Slow 2D Performance

AnimaliX
09-13-04, 01:15 PM
Just wondering... has anyone has experienced slow 2D performance on any of the 6800 series cards? I've noticed a general lag when minimizing/maximizing windows in XP, and weird video overlay issues. The image quality is nice, but it just doesn't seem as if 2D is even accelerated at times.

I thought it was leftover Ati stuff since my previous card was a 9800 Pro, but I did a fresh install of XP and it didn't help any. Using 61.77 ForceWare, and the Windows Classic theme with all the 'visual effects' turned off. Also have XP SP2 installed.

Original from: http://3dgpu.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12231

subbo
09-13-04, 03:52 PM
Nope cant say I have. I use pretty much the same setup as you, classic theme and sp2 and all transitional effects disabled. Desktop is 16x12x32. If I drag this IE window that is almost full screen I see no unusual lag like what you'd get when the driver is not loaded.

Vyper
09-13-04, 04:02 PM
Yes i have too and i've posted questions about it too..

Minimizing , maximizing windows is painfully slow. You can see the windows getting drawed line by line..

This error that occurs in XP 32 bit doesn't occur in XP 64 bit odd enough... 2d is fine in xp64 but not xp32 bit..

Odd behaviour.. Yes you can say that indeed..

//Vyper

lduguay
10-12-04, 03:50 PM
Just wondering... has anyone has experienced slow 2D performance on any of the 6800 series cards? I've noticed a general lag when minimizing/maximizing windows in XP, and weird video overlay issues. The image quality is nice, but it just doesn't seem as if 2D is even accelerated at times.

I thought it was leftover Ati stuff since my previous card was a 9800 Pro, but I did a fresh install of XP and it didn't help any. Using 61.77 ForceWare, and the Windows Classic theme with all the 'visual effects' turned off. Also have XP SP2 installed.

Original from: http://3dgpu.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12231

I have the exact same problem, it seems like the 2D speed degrades over time after a reboot. I am using the latest ForceWare 66.81. I've tried all sort of BIOS settings without success. I have a Leadtek A400 Ultra (no OC), on a AMD 3500+ and MSI KT800Pro (no OC). I also did a fresh install of XP + SP2.
Same thing. Just sold my ATI 9800XT, it had very snappy 2D.
Found anything?

PikachuMan
10-12-04, 05:33 PM
Have you installed your motherboard/chipset drivers?

Slammin
10-12-04, 07:39 PM
This usually means you did not have a clean driver removal/install. If you remove your driver and let the vga driver handle 2D, you will get exactly what you describe as well - really slow 2D.

Try removing the driver via Control Panel, and then running DriverCleaner3. Reboot, run DriverCleaner3 again, and follow with your driver install w/o rebooting this time. Then, reboot one last time.

Good Luck!

lduguay
10-13-04, 04:13 PM
Did a fresh reinstall of XP+SP2 with the latest VIA and MB drivers.
(With coolbits2) The driver confirms that i am using the optimal settings (8x, Fast write, sideband, etc). 2D core/mem clock is set to 400/1100.

Oh well, maybe it's just me, but 2D just feels less snappy that ATI boards (even from a Radeon 7500). I'll live with it.

Absolutely no complaints on 3D performance.

YOGIx213
10-13-04, 09:30 PM
Don't have any of the slow 2D problems addressed here. My PNY 6800 Ultra seems fine. Windows open and close with ease (as it should) but also with many applications running in the background and with Windowblinds skins. I know others have said that it might be some remnants of old drivers that might be slowing your performance. I think the same thing but if not, I don't know what else could be the problem.

Danger Mouse
03-12-05, 05:02 PM
I too have this slow 2D performance. If anyone found anything useful on this, I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

OWA
03-12-05, 08:04 PM
Looks like at least 2 of the people having problems are using Via chipsets. AnimaliX, what chipset is your motherboard using?

bkswaney
03-12-05, 08:22 PM
No problems here.
But I have a Intel chipset. ;)

[AK]Zip
03-12-05, 09:11 PM
No problems here.
But I have a Intel chipset. ;)

Same here.

Danger Mouse
03-13-05, 03:31 AM
So when you minimise a maximised window for instance, it just flicks to what's below instantly? Because for me, running at 1600x1200, there's quite a wiping effect.

[AK]Zip
03-13-05, 04:48 AM
So when you minimise a maximised window for instance, it just flicks to what's below instantly? Because for me, running at 1600x1200, there's quite a wiping effect.

yea. no wiping effect or anything. Goes down instantly and up instantly.

Vyper
03-13-05, 10:28 AM
As i reported it long ago the effect is still there when mini/maximise windows.. In Windows 2000 this issue is reduced and in Windows XP 64 bit but not in WinXP SP2..

It's a drawing like syndrome, filling the screen from top to bottom which you can sense and in xp you will definitelly notice it..

Think it has something to do with KT800 chipset and timings..
Idea what to do folks, www.georgebreese.com via latency patch? :)

Danger Mouse
03-13-05, 01:16 PM
Hi Vyper

The webpage for that latency patch says the following:

"Warning! This does not install on Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), or on Windows 2003, due to increased security on those versions. I will not be issuing an update for this any time soon."

And the cited issues it seems to be written for don't seem connected.

Are there any BIOS settings I could change do you think? I'm no expert on BIOS settings, so if anybody has any suggestions...

HexiumVII
03-13-05, 08:58 PM
I don't have this problem with my 6800GT with Intel chipset. I've noticed that if you have AGP sometimes the 6X series doesn't have AGP set full speed, try play around with the AGP settings. My laptop with a 9700 with omega drivers seems to have that problem sometimes, but its probably the throddling being done in real time.

Danger Mouse
03-14-05, 03:10 AM
The nVidia settings say that AGP 8X is enabled, but I'll give other settings a try. Thanks.