PDA

View Full Version : XP Multi-boot

Fatman
09-13-04, 04:09 PM
I would appreciate if anyone can help me setup a dual boot system. Currently I have XP Pro SP2 installed on one drive. I want to setup another XP install on the second drive. If not XP, I also have Win2k, ME or 98. Main drive is 120GB IDE, second drive is 120 GB SATA. Ideally I would like to create a new partition on the second drive and setup a new OS on it. Say I make a 60GB partition, name it drive Z, do I just go ahead and install XP as usual and pick drive Z for windows install? This whole multi-boot thing is very new to me, I'd really appreciate some help.

intercede007
09-13-04, 07:06 PM
I would appreciate if anyone can help me setup a dual boot system. Currently I have XP Pro SP2 installed on one drive. I want to setup another XP install on the second drive. If not XP, I also have Win2k, ME or 98. Main drive is 120GB IDE, second drive is 120 GB SATA. Ideally I would like to create a new partition on the second drive and setup a new OS on it. Say I make a 60GB partition, name it drive Z, do I just go ahead and install XP as usual and pick drive Z for windows install? This whole multi-boot thing is very new to me, I'd really appreciate some help.

Basically right.

Make sure you have RAID/SATA drivers ready for the install you choose; you will need to provide those by pressing F8 during the initial setup sequence (you will be prompted for it at the bottom of the screen).

Select the partition you would like to install it to (ideally, place it on the first partition of the drive..not necessary, but much more elegant), and it will handle the rest. The boot sector will automatically be updated with the new OS info (no linux boot-loader type bull****). Your first reboot will take you back into the OS for setup and configuration, but after that you will be greated with a screen with your choices.