PDA

View Full Version : AC5 application

TheHelpful1
09-14-04, 01:00 AM
Polling some opinions on AC5 application.

So far I've seen two different methods of applying AC5.

1: Put down some on the ram banks and core and spread out to a nice, smooth, even layer that's not too thick.

2: Squirt a rice-grain drop on top each memory bank and make a droplet "X" patter on the core and let the squishing of the HSF spread it all out.

I used the former method when i changed from stock HSF to the NV5 and have not had any problems after my idle temps went from 61-63 down to 55-57 (without ExperTool).

How did everyone else apply their AC5?

Eltigre88
09-14-04, 02:01 AM
I put a small drop on everything and used a razor blade to make a smooth even layer.

jAkUp
09-14-04, 02:40 AM
I choose option number 1 ;)

crainger
09-14-04, 04:05 AM
I always do the small drop, as usually in the process of screwing down the heatsink it spreads it on its own. The Artic Silver site recommends this way too. However with ram on a vidcard, I would make it a thin layer all over, as the pressure on the RAM would be far less than any CPU and Heatsink/Waterblock combo. Especially with a Silencer as it has a tendency to break if you screw it to hard :nanahump:

mustrum
09-14-04, 04:32 AM
I always do the small drop, as usually in the process of screwing down the heatsink it spreads it on its own. The Artic Silver site recommends this way too. However with ram on a vidcard, I would make it a thin layer all over, as the pressure on the RAM would be far less than any CPU and Heatsink/Waterblock combo. Especially with a Silencer as it has a tendency to break if you screw it to hard :nanahump:
This s a bad idea: AS5 is very thick even when it gets warm.
This method was best when using it on Athlon XP CPUS since they have a very small DIE. Die DIE of the GPUs are covered with a huge heatspreader. It will never spread itself all over that huge heatspreader if you only use a drop in the middle.
If the 6800 core has no heatspreader than ignore this. :) (I don't own one myself)