PDA

View Full Version : Asus 6800 Ultra at Newegg $519 - already gone

Clevor
09-14-04, 02:26 AM
Five minutes ago I was cruising the Newegg website and scrolled to the Asus page. I couldn't believe an Ultra in stock. And price was, say what??? $519. I quickly checked the clock on the card: ad says 425/1.1. You should have seen my hands fly over the keyboard. Must have been the last one as I went back 3' later and yep, out of stock :udawg:. Based on Pricewatch, this has to be the lowest price Ultra anywhere. Was it a mirage? Double checked my e-mail: successfully charged :dance:.

I had an autonotify on this card but looks like it it still in transit :p.

Xav
09-14-04, 03:04 PM
Yup I saw those in stock a few weeks back and was gonna order one myself :) Seems quite a few folks have ordered that one so I'd say NOT a mirage hehe.

Grats!

Clevor
09-14-04, 06:09 PM
It seems that because Asus has pull, they can get cores. For example, the ONLY X800XT PE I've seen sold by Newegg was the Asus board. The Powercolors were never in stock. I had waited through 6-7 delayed ETAs on the card. I did get two autonotifys on it, but gone by the time I checked. One guy's review on the Asus X800XT PE is dated 9-7-04 so he did get one recently. But I have never seen the ATI card in stock anywhere else the last month. It's likely they get only 6 or so cards if they do.

bosox188
09-14-04, 08:50 PM
They have an X800XT for only $459 now at newegg. But it's not PE.

Clevor
09-14-04, 09:08 PM
The PE is yup, backordered till 9-18, when ETA was yesterday.

I wonder if Nvidia is holding back the Ultra to keep prices up with the PE? I mean if a lot of Ultras ship now, the prices will inexorably drop, but if it seems limited quantity like the PE . . . Either that or it's the 1.6 ns Samsung ram that is the holdup.

kahloq
09-14-04, 11:46 PM
The PE is yup, backordered till 9-18, when ETA was yesterday.

I wonder if Nvidia is holding back the Ultra to keep prices up with the PE? I mean if a lot of Ultras ship now, the prices will inexorably drop, but if it seems limited quantity like the PE . . . Either that or it's the 1.6 ns Samsung ram that is the holdup.

That makes zero sense. Nvidia is not going to hold back Ultra capable chips, especially when their arch competitor is not supplying well, in an attmept to try and keep RETAIL level prices above MSRP. Nvidia wants to SELL as many as possible and ALL venders will pay generally the same amount PER core from Nvidia...dependant on quantity. Its then up to the vendor to set the price point they sell their total card to the stores who order them. Nvidia will make the same amount per core regardless of what the final retail product sells for. Each vendor has a contract and price amount per quantity of chip cores bought from Nvidia. The final price is not up to Nvidia concerning the retail price. Thats why its called an MSRP...meaning Manufactures SUGGESTED retail price....doesnt mean the AIB's will follow that..or for that matter the actual retail STORES that sell the AIB cards.

OWA
09-15-04, 12:10 AM
Based on Pricewatch, this has to be the lowest price Ultra anywhere.
You mean lowest priced ASUS Ultra right? You can get other Ultras (such as the PNY) for $499 at retail.

Clevor
09-15-04, 12:25 AM
You mean lowest priced ASUS Ultra right? You can get other Ultras (such as the PNY) for $499 at retail.

No, last I checked the lowest of any Ultra was maybe $525-545. It's a moot point as they weren't in stock. All the time I was checking the Asus X800XT PE, I never saw the Ultra in stock either. The BFGTech (or whatever) is priced low but you have to be on a waiting list or something.

As with the PE, the vendors are getting them in, but maybe six at a time.

I was thinking of getting a GT (especially with the Doom3 bundle) and overclocking it but some guys can't get above 400 core; it's luck of the draw. It's best to pay the extra $100 to get the higher clocks.

Actually, I picked up an X800XT PE too last weekend here in Japan. Only two I saw in all of Akihabara, but the store had it cheap for Japan prices. It's not that I got tired of waiting, but with the yen rate, I got it for the Newegg price + freight (and I can walk home with it that day), so I went for it. I've been enjoying it the last five days while the ETA at Newegg was pushed back again yesterday to 9-18. Who knows when the cards will be readily available.

I'm gonna be selling off my 9800XT and Geforce5900 GT this weekend to recoup some money.

X800XT PE versus 6800 Ultra testing is in the works. It's mano-to-mano time! :fanboy:

ricercar
09-15-04, 02:49 AM
Asus has two 6800 Ultras.
One is single slot, 425/1100 for $579 V9999Ultra Deluxe with blue LEDs
One is double slot, 425/1100 for $519 V9999Ultra with a picture of Nalu

Hellion
09-15-04, 02:55 AM
No, last I checked the lowest of any Ultra was maybe $525-545. It's a moot point as they weren't in stock. All the time I was checking the Asus X800XT PE, I never saw the Ultra in stock either. The BFGTech (or whatever) is priced low but you have to be on a waiting list or something.

*sigh, foolish humans. Dont speak with your eyes closed. Fry's outpost sells BFG's for 499. And yes i know GT's are priced pretty much the same. BUT i see Ultras when i walk in. and believe me. i know because you dont see something like that and not check it out lol. believe me. also. they at least WERE in stock. For walk-ins. Also, ive notice the part about you being in japa. are you Still there? because im not dsure if fry's is international.

Clevor
09-15-04, 03:14 AM
Well, I wasn't looking ALL over creation for Ultras in stock. Geez, I got better things to do. I just know from more than a casual look at Pricewatch and all the mail order vendors that ship FPO AP: Newegg, Multiwave, Axiontech, PC Progress, they NEVER have them or the X800XT PE in stock.

Fry's, CompUSA, BestBuy is no good for me as I am on a Navy base in Japan.

Keep in mind where I got it from: Newegg. That is worth extra bucks there. I have had a 9700 Pro die on me after 6 months and Newegg replaced it no hassle. Same with a PSU. The only negative with getting the PE here in Japan is I have to go through the local vendor on replacements. Way better than dealing with ATI though. They reproduce your problem and if it checks out, they get you another card.

mustrum
09-15-04, 05:13 AM
http://shop.vv-computer.de/shop/info/501006
Has XT PEs in stock. Called XT but it'S the XT PE. XTs go for 479 in the same shop.
No single 6800 ULTRA in germany in stock for over a month now.
Seems like nvidia gives a sh** about europe.

Clevor
09-15-04, 08:32 PM
589 Euros is 715 U.S. dollars :eek:!

While I don't think the cards are worth the price paid, it does seem like these cards might - I know you heard it before - be a card one can keep for a looong time. Yeah right. What is that, a year-and-a-half?

I tested the PE out in the ultimate challenge: Far Cry at 1600x1200x32, 4xFSAA, 16xAniso, all details set to very high. On a 9800XT clocked to 440/385, it's fairly smooth until you get into the intense gunfights, where you get blasted quickly due to the stuttering. Even at default clock on a PE, mouse movements are smooth and responsive throughout, so much so you have the luxury of going for head shots. In the UT2003 bench under same settings, I doubled my fps over the 9800XT: 188/65 fps. The card plows through CodeCreatures, same settings. No doubt, there are bound to be tougher games ahead.

Visually, Far Cry is stunning. Seeing the waves wash up upon shore and the foam backwash and reflections on the wave, and fish swimming underneath is almost photographic (well, except for the fish). Obviously, jaggies (what the hell were they?) are zilch.

I expect to see the same performance on the Ultra, with more vibrant colors and crisper anisotrophy, and whatever the deficit might be, maybe a loss of some framerates. It will depend on the overclocks I can get on the cards. I was able to get 545/590 on the PE with stock cooling.