PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia High End AGP video cards how much longer?

gate1975mlm
09-14-04, 07:53 AM
How many more years untail Nvidia stops making High End AGP video cards?

FastM
09-14-04, 11:24 AM
How many more years untail Nvidia stops making High End AGP video cards?

how many more years until cars on gasoline?

how many more years until amd and intel go out of buisiness?

:rolleyes:

heh, sry dude, i didn't really get your post. To try and answer your question i would say long enough that its not something you should worry about.

stncttr908
09-14-04, 01:05 PM
I don't see it happening for awhile, since some companies still make low end PCI cards when AGP has been around for years.

Cota
09-14-04, 03:23 PM
I don't see it happening for awhile, since some companies still make low end PCI cards when AGP has been around for years.

Well, thats kind of true, but, I haven't seen a high performance PCI card in ages.

Still, even PCI-ex advocates recognize that it will take at least a couple of years for the shift.

AFAIK nvidia will continue to have develop high end AGP cards for at least 1 more year.

NightFire
09-14-04, 08:49 PM
Oh, now I get your meaning. Originally, I thought you meant when would Nvidia leave the high-end video card market.

Possibly not for another 20 or so years.

renegade77
09-14-04, 09:27 PM
lol, the Day Jesus come back :)

circuitbreaker8
09-16-04, 12:17 AM
I think AGP still has a good 3-4 years

Rakeesh
09-17-04, 01:26 AM
Well, not really. The reason PCI video cards lasted so long is because a lot of people out there are idiots and will buy motherboards that don't have an AGP expansion slot. AGP shouldn't last very long at all considering that an AGP slot only serves one purpose, whereas PCI and PCI express slots will serve many purposes. AGP will probably disappear within the next year, two years would be really pushing it. PCI on the other hand will have a good 3 or 4 years before you start seeing motherboards that are PCI express only (they don't include regular PCI slots.) That is pretty much how it went with ISA slots when they disappeared.

-=DVS=-
09-17-04, 02:41 AM
AGP HIGH ENDs will last for One more year at moust , PCI Express might overtake market even faster though.

|JuiceZ|
09-17-04, 08:39 AM
To try and answer your question i would say long enough that its not something you should worry about.

majortom
09-17-04, 12:23 PM
i think agp cards have about 2 years tops, while agp mobo's will probably be phased out before then.

Riptide
09-17-04, 12:50 PM
I think it's comfortable to expect that the next refresh from both companies (ATI/NVDA) will have an AGP offering of the entire range. The product cycle after that one though is much less certain IMO.

JayrodTremonki
09-18-04, 02:59 AM
There will be AGP cards for quite a while. As most of us know, the cards aren't desperately starved for bandwidth from the bus. Try switching from AGP 4x to 8x sometime, I mean, SHOULDN'T it half your performance? ;)
Basically, what I see happening is that it will take another year or so before basically every up-to-date system is shipping with PCI-Express. When that happens they'll start making PCI-Express versions of everything first, and the AGP versions will trickle down later.(basically what's happening with the 6600 GT) This is until there's actually too little bandwidth on the AGP bus, in which case it'll end up being for low-end parts only like PCI is now. I know that at least Nvidia has claimed that they'll make AGP versions of all of their high end parts for at least another couple years. Depending on the popularity of PCI-Express and how fast it catches on will decide when AGP gets phased out.

kahloq
09-18-04, 06:53 PM
There will be AGP cards for quite a while. As most of us know, the cards aren't desperately starved for bandwidth from the bus. Try switching from AGP 4x to 8x sometime, I mean, SHOULDN'T it half your performance? ;)
Basically, what I see happening is that it will take another year or so before basically every up-to-date system is shipping with PCI-Express. When that happens they'll start making PCI-Express versions of everything first, and the AGP versions will trickle down later.(basically what's happening with the 6600 GT) This is until there's actually too little bandwidth on the AGP bus, in which case it'll end up being for low-end parts only like PCI is now. I know that at least Nvidia has claimed that they'll make AGP versions of all of their high end parts for at least another couple years. Depending on the popularity of PCI-Express and how fast it catches on will decide when AGP gets phased out.

The above is the most accurate of all the statements in this thread. Nvidia has already stated that the next two refreshes will include AGP on all high end cards as well as PCI-express. After that, it will be the majority of high end cards will be PCI-e but there will be some AGP of those same models made. After 2-3yrs or so, is when AGP will START to get relegated to mid range cards without the highest end being made agp. After about 4 yrs, only lower end cards will be agp with a few mid range. After 5 yrs, you will see only agp as the parts that fill the lowest end cards.