PDA

View Full Version : Anybody solve 6800U FW stuttering yet??

Pages : [1] 2

d2thez
09-14-04, 06:29 PM
I have a BFGTech 6800U OC and the MSI K8N Neo NF3 250gb mobo. I often get stuttering in my games and it will freeze for a few seconds, and then mysteriously come bacl like nothing happened.

I disbaled the FW in the mobo bios, and that seemed to fix it. I like having them on though. Has anybody found a way to correct that problem yet??

I have heard that flashing the videocard bios with other manufacturer's bioses, particularly Leadtek's, solved all stuttering issues. Anybody know anything about this??

RoJo
09-14-04, 06:39 PM
Sorry that I can't help, but I'm in the same boat as you as it were. I have the same mobo and graphics card.

It would be nice if there was a fix to this. Maybe a new bios update, might be what we are both looking for.

Pandora's Box
09-14-04, 06:41 PM
i doubt u will get a fix for it. fastwrites are useless. it offers no performance increase and introduces instability, why would u want it fixed?

d2thez
09-14-04, 06:53 PM
Hey Rojo,

What version bios did your card ship with??

Also, are your 2D and 3D clocks the same when you use Coolbits and look at them?

myshkinbob
09-14-04, 06:54 PM
Undervolting the gpu will fix this issue to some extent, see my thread on the issue. However, even with undervolting, i still can't go beyond 410 core without disabling fast writes. I'm using an nforce3 250 motherboard also. AFAIK the nforce3 simply doesn't like fast writes enabled. Oh i also made some benchmarks comparing fast writes on and off for the 6800GT with the nforce3 250, search the forum for it, it compares 3dm03, aquamark, farcry and doom3 performance with regard to fast writes. Gains were negligable, about 1.5% on average, but aquamark boosted that (aq3 seems to love fast writes), in reality for gaming it's more like 0.5%.

Lfctony
09-14-04, 07:53 PM
Fast-Writes, its a motherboard/video card performance feature that causes quite a bit of problems with 6800s.

RoJo
09-14-04, 08:13 PM
Hey Rojo,

What version bios did your card ship with??

Also, are your 2D and 3D clocks the same when you use Coolbits and look at them?

I flashed my card with the Rev 3 BFG bios, and both my 2D and 3D clocks are flashed to the same...430 core and 1.2 mem.

You can get the flash program Here (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&func=fileinfo&filecatid=127). And the rev 3 BFG bios from Here (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=232).

That's if you feel upto flashing you're card btw. As you most likely know, there is some risk in doing this!

It would be nice to have Fast Writes on, but the performance increase is negligible, as has already been stated in this thread.

I'll have to run some more tests, as I've only just flashed my card in the last couple of days, and installed a new raptor drive, so there's not much on my system at the moment. Plus I haven't had much time to do anything pc wise also.

But I'm not holding out any hope, on it working...

I'll run a test and post the results.

RoJo
09-14-04, 08:24 PM
Oh well...I ran 3DMark2003 and it it was freezing. So even with all that I've done to my card, and running the latest bios for my mobo, it still doesn't work. And I'm not sure if this will ever be fixed.

So as I've already said, it would be nice to have it enabled, but at the end of the day, it's no real biggy that it doesn't work anyway.

Schumi4ever
09-15-04, 04:04 AM
i doubt u will get a fix for it. fastwrites are useless. it offers no performance increase and introduces instability, why would u want it fixed?

Because for some people (:me) disabling fastwrites makes my cpu perform much worse (amd athlon 64 3200+, msi k8n nep platinum, xfx geforce 6800gt)

This is also a request to you all: Could you please run the cpu benchmarks of 3dmark03, both with and without fw and post your specs+results here? And in case you hardly see a difference, please make sure fw really is disabled.

I score 800-900 with fw, without I score +-680/700 :lame:

Also, fw doest SOLVE the freezing problem, it only allows me to oc slighty higher, but after that I get the freezing again. And its not because my gpu cant handle that oc, because in opengl games I can even go way higher without problems.

DJMONDY
09-15-04, 04:08 AM
How do you turn fastwrites on/off. I cant find it in my bios?????

Sensational_B
09-15-04, 06:09 AM
Use Rivatuner to enable disable fastwrites.

myshkinbob
09-15-04, 01:50 PM
3dm03 cpu score

with fast writes - 980
without - 668

specs in sig, A64 @ 2.2ghz.

Dropping fast writes will throttle your cpu score. Because the cpu tests are purely software rendering, your cpu and system ram take on the roles of your gpu and graphics ram, and when fast writes are disabled your cpu has to send 640x480x32 bits of data to your graphics card through your main memory, in order to display each frame on your screen. With fast writes enabled, the cpu sends each computed frame directly to the agp card, bypassing main memory and freeing up 640x480x32 bits per frame of memory bandwidth, which is a lot.

However, aside from the 3dm03 cpu tests, i do not know of any other recent app that software renders full frames and needs to send such a huge amount of data to the card per frame therefore. This test isn't indicative of real gaming impact of disabling fast writes, it merely highlights the inefficiency of software rendering and the amount of system bandwidth that requires to display the output, without using fast writes, without a direct cpu-to-agp channel.

Schumi4ever
09-15-04, 06:12 PM
I did some testing myself with/out fw, and aquamark went up a tiny bit, 3dmark03 down a little, same for 01, doom3 also doesnt suffer at all, but the big issue for me is that some games perform a lot worse without fw (mainly heavily cpu depending games like f1 challenge and grand prix 4). Especially in f1c fps drops considerably without fw :lame:

myshkinbob
09-15-04, 06:43 PM
Ah gp4 will die a death without fast writes yeah, geoff crammond loves his software rendering, which means you lose a lot of bandwidth without fast writes as the cpu has to write to the framebuffer through your ram.

Schumi4ever
09-15-04, 07:12 PM
Unfortunatly, I most of the time play f1 challenge, and that one also suffers big time :(

myshkinbob
09-15-04, 08:01 PM
Schumi what you could try, and this worked well for me, is to flash your card bios with an edited bios that has a 1.1v 3D mode voltage. Once i did that i found i could run with fast writes enabled at higher clock rates, however due to the lower voltage overclocking is limited to about 400mhz on the core.

Edit: If you're running an ultra, 1.2v at 3d may be more appropriate. No guarantees it'll work for you too, but it's worth a go.

-=DVS=-
09-15-04, 08:16 PM
For me Fast Writes work without a problem , it must be motherboard thing works with some doesn't with others.

Schumi4ever
09-16-04, 03:35 AM
Schumi what you could try, and this worked well for me, is to flash your card bios with an edited bios that has a 1.1v 3D mode voltage. Once i did that i found i could run with fast writes enabled at higher clock rates, however due to the lower voltage overclocking is limited to about 400mhz on the core.

Edit: If you're running an ultra, 1.2v at 3d may be more appropriate. No guarantees it'll work for you too, but it's worth a go.

I currently am using 1,1 3dv (xfx geforce 6800gt), and it does allow higher oc then 1,3, I can reach 375 instead of 360 :ORDER:

Obviously, still ways of off 425 which this card can run flawlessly at :lame:

Stanger
09-16-04, 11:44 AM
Check the last page on sticky at top. 6800 random Freezes. My PNY ultra would freeze on me when I went over 425 core. I did this fix and now my last OVC was 460 with fast writes. If you have the new Riva Tuner this will help.

Schumi4ever
09-16-04, 03:54 PM
Tried that a long time ago, didnt work :(

Stanger
09-16-04, 05:46 PM
Schumi sorry it did not worked for you. I hope you did a reboot after the fix, because it will not work until you reboot.

macachia
09-17-04, 08:57 AM
i just ordered my asus a8v, removing this msi k8n

m 1st a8v had working fastwrites and I had excellent cpu scores, but sadly since the k8n doesnt support it, im having worse scores

i hope this gets fixed for u all, gluck

Schumi4ever
09-17-04, 11:43 AM
I have the msi k8n neo platinum which definatly does support fast writes :screwy:

macachia
09-17-04, 11:56 AM
let me rephrase

with the two msi k8n neo2 i tried, i get freezes (for 3-5 secs) in games and 3d benchmarks (with fastwrites enabled)

msi k8n neo (1) for socket 754 works flawlessly

Schumi4ever
09-17-04, 12:58 PM
So when you only changed your cpu and motherboard, the problem was solved. Or did you change anything else? (and what are your full specs?)

But if its true, the problem has to be with either the cpu, or motherboard (most likely), but what are the exact differences between the neo and neo2? Its not the chipset, both have the nforce3 250gb.