PDA

View Full Version : Gainward 6800GT and in-game lock-ups

Pages : [1] 2

esox
09-14-04, 11:48 PM
I'm running the card at "Enhanced Settings" which means 400 x 1100. I can run Far Cry, FS2004 at these settings (and substantially higher settings), but when I try to run IL2 FB AEP in perfect mode, I get weird graphic anamolies, then, the screen freezes with multi-color patterns.

Checking the card temps with Riva Tuner, it never exceeds 63c. If it isn't heat, what else should I be looking at?

Thanks.

E

Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 (stock settings)
Athlon 64 3500+
Gainward GeForce 6800 GT
1-gig (2x512) Crucial Ballistix ddr PC3200 RAM
DX 9.0c
XP SP2

Knot3D
09-15-04, 02:02 AM
Did you make sure to update BIOS via Expertool 3.18 ?

How many amps does your psu put out ?

esox
09-15-04, 02:25 AM
I think I'm running the latest BIOS (5.40.02.15.01).
I have an Antec True550, so that *shouldn't* be the problem. Also, the card is the only thing on that rail.

E

saturnotaku
09-15-04, 06:05 AM
Have you tried running the card at default speeds? If it works fine there, then you have a case to return the card as it will not run at Gainward's guaranteed speeds. If you continue to have problems, please read the sticky thread about the 6800 and random lockups and see if any of the solutions provided there will help.

musickna
09-21-04, 10:41 AM
I'm running the card at "Enhanced Settings" which means 400 x 1100. I can run Far Cry, FS2004 at these settings (and substantially higher settings), but when I try to run IL2 FB AEP in perfect mode, I get weird graphic anamolies, then, the screen freezes with multi-color patterns.

Checking the card temps with Riva Tuner, it never exceeds 63c. If it isn't heat, what else should I be looking at?

I have had exactly the same problems with Forgotten Battles:AEP in Perfect mode with Enhanced Settings. Again, it does not seem to be a heat issue. I suspect there is some software/hardware conflict here - when I switch in game from Perfect to Excellent, all the graphics anomalies disappear and the game runs without a hitch (I have to do this when the glitches first appear - once frozen with multi-color patterns only a reboot works).

At 400/1000 the game works perfectly with 'Perfect' settings - I am going to hang on to my card and see if a driver and/or BIOS update resolves this issue.

Gainward 6800 GT 'Golden Sample', ExpertTool 3.18
VNF3-250 mb, Athlon 64 3200, Windows 2000, nVidia drivers 61.77

musickna
09-21-04, 09:08 PM
Update on the FB: AEP problem - I downloaded Coolbits2 from Guru3D, installed it, and played around with the speeds. Upshot was that if I synchronized the 2D and 3D clock and memory speeds (as has been suggested as a fix elsewhere) using Coolbits, I was able to run the game at 'Perfect' with no problem whatsoever at 400/1100. No need to disable fast writes either. So I'm happy! :)

esox
09-22-04, 12:23 AM
Grrrr, I tried 400 x 1000 and it lasted longer, but not much before crashing. I've tried syncing the 2d and 3d speeds to no avail. I'm in conversation with Gainward about this now.

E

musickna
09-22-04, 07:47 AM
Sorry to hear you are still having difficulties, Esox. I hope Gainward come through with an answer - their initial advice to me was to completely remove all existing nVidia graphics drivers, including registry entries and nv and nv.inf files, load the Gainward nVidia 61.77 drivers from their site and then ExpertTool 3.18.

Doing this I inadvertantly crippled my OS loading, so I was forced to reinstall Windows 2000. Once this was done though, I was able to get the game to run in 'Perfect' without problems. I then loaded PowerStrip, and I think this screwed things up again, because the artifacts were back in force. Even uninstalling PowerStrip did not help.

But then I tried the Coolbits thing, and that did the trick. We'll see if it lasts! Clearly, this is a complicated situation and I don't think anyone has put their finger on exactly what is happening here!

esox
09-22-04, 11:10 AM
Yeah, they sent me the same e-mai. I pity the poor guy who has an nForce chipset and doesn't realize that he's uninstalling all of his chipset drivers by following their advice!

E

TacT
09-22-04, 11:47 AM
well if they have them up to date they should get an option of what exactly they would like to remove when they select uninstall so hopefully it won't be a problem for too many. Unlike the stinking last version that uninstalled all my nforce drivers when I wanted to uninstall and update the gfx card driver. :lame:

esox
09-22-04, 03:17 PM
That's true, but Gainwards instructions are to delete the entire Nvidia Corporation folder in the registry and delete every file on your computer that is provided by Nvidia. :retard:

They do warn that you may have to re-install your mobo drivers, but this seems like a recipe for trouble to me.

E

musickna
09-22-04, 04:24 PM
They do warn that you may have to re-install your mobo drivers, but this seems like a recipe for trouble to me.

E

It is! :banghead:

cooljovi
09-22-04, 09:44 PM
Can you tell me your "semi-product part number" ?
I think I can tell my friend working in Gainward Taiwan HQ about this problem.

esox
09-23-04, 01:52 AM
Can you tell me your "semi-product part number" ?
I think I can tell my friend working in Gainward Taiwan HQ about this problem.

cooljovi, if you'll tell me what a "semi-product part number" is, I'll post it.

E

cooljovi
09-23-04, 02:38 AM
He say it's a number on a yellow label.

musickna
09-23-04, 09:42 AM
After fiddling around for a while, I think I can say that the problem with FB:AEP at 400/1100 lies with the Gainward ExpertTool 3.18 and that particular program's interaction with my software environment.

Under certain circumstances - a clean operating system re-install followed by installing the Gainward 61.77 drivers - it works just fine. But load another graphics utility like PowerStrip, and you may have problems, as I certainly did. Anyway, I have everything working again using the nVidia speed control revealed with Coolbits2, setting the 2D and 3D speeds to 400/1100. I use ExpertTool only for fan control, turning off dynamic control, and using fixed at 100% for both 2D and 3D. Doing it this way, I have no problems whatsoever with FB:AEP at 'Perfect' settings.

The upshot of all this is I that feel assured that my hardware is sound, and thus there is no need to RMA the unit. At some point I will probably reinstall my operating system, and have ExpertTool working as it should, but for now this fix is perfectly adequate.

Gainward 6800 GT GS, Chaintech VNF3-250, Athlon 3200 OC to 2400GHz, 2x512MB Corsair value, 80GB Hitachi 7200RPM SATA, Antec Ion 400W power, 3Com 3C410 HomePhone network adapter, on-board sound, nForce 4.24 chipset driver, Forceware 61.77 graphics, DirectX 9.0c, Windows 2000, SP4.

saturnotaku
09-23-04, 11:11 AM
As long as you're satisfied with the results, that's all that matters. Good luck. :)

Vamp
09-23-04, 11:26 AM
I didn't want to have my fans always set to 100%, but I agree that did stop the freezing. However I've unisntalled Expertool, am clocking with Coolbits and have FW set to disabled with RivaTuner which also solves the problem.

On my next Driver install will I have to reinstall RivaTuner like I have to with Coolbits? Should I just use Rivatuner for my overclocking or is it better to use Coolbits for OCing and Rivatuner for other tweaks or does it really not make a difference what I use?

saturnotaku
09-23-04, 11:32 AM
On my next Driver install will I have to reinstall RivaTuner like I have to with Coolbits?

No.

Should I just use Rivatuner for my overclocking or is it better to use Coolbits for OCing and Rivatuner for other tweaks or does it really not make a difference what I use?

It really makes no difference. When I was overclocking, I preferred Coolbits and then used aTuner or RivaTuner for everything else.

esox
09-24-04, 02:11 AM
He say it's a number on a yellow label.
cooljovi, the yellow label says:

P542020MQ0M0
GF6800GT
256MB GS

Thanks!

I've been in touch with a Gainward tech extensively regarding this. I have to say this guy is thorough and very helpful. However, we haven't solve the problem. I attempted to RMA the card through the vender (Space Center Systems) but since this is the second card they sent me, they refused to accept the return and insisted that I go directly through Gainward. A pain because Gainward won't cross-ship.

So, the upshot is, I will have paid for shipping 3-ways on this card and spent many hours trouble-shooting. If you add it up, I could have just bought an Ultra in the first place and not over-clocked it. I'd be way ahead of the game. :(

E

musickna
09-24-04, 08:37 PM
Computers have a way of making you humble. I was fully convinced that Gainward's ExpertTool was to blame, interacting badly with my software in some way. I thought various tweaks - using Coolbits, synchronizing the 2D and 3D clocks - were the fixes. And so they seemed to be - for a while.

But the answer - and I do believe I really have the answer now - was nothing to do with that. With hindsight, I should have thought of this before given FB:AEP's many problems in this area, but the culprit was the SOUND!

Using the onboard sound on my Chaintech VNF3-250 was the root of the all the problems. Disable the sound using the FB:AEP setup menu - the game played flawlessly OC to 400/1100 in 'Perfect' graphics mode. Enable the sound - didn't matter in what way - artifacts and freezes within minutes.

Fortunately, I was not faced with a soundless game thanks to the fact that I had an old Soundblaster Live! card sitting around. I installed that, and now everything is working exactly as it should.

Now, hopefully :angel2: this is the end of the story. It just goes to show that things are often never quite what they seem to be... :)

esox
09-24-04, 11:25 PM
well musickna, you raised my hopes... briefly. I just tried disabling sound in IL2Setup and it didn't help. :(
This card will go back to Gainward on Monday or Tuesday.

E

Schumi4ever
09-25-04, 02:19 AM
I have also disable the onboard sound and Im using the soundblaster audigy. Freezes all the way though :rolleyes:

musickna
09-25-04, 10:22 AM
What a bummer, Esox and Schumi4ever! I'm sorry to hear that. I'm still running OK - let's pray that it lasts. Hope you find an answer soon.

MightyMax505
09-25-04, 12:45 PM
Same problem here......

Here is mine

P542020MQ0M0
GF6800GT
256MB GS