PDA

View Full Version : 6800 and OpenGL Games Problem

phourstar
09-15-04, 11:31 AM
Today i picked up a brand new BFG 6800 GT, brought it home, uninstalled the ATI Drivers and reformated to be safe.

I installed my chipset drivers, agp drivers, sound drivers directx 9.0c, windows SP2 and my video card drivers (65.73).

Installed call of duty (openGL game) and was checking my FPS out in different spots on the map compardes to my 9800's performance, in alot of spots where i used to get 150fps+ easily with my 9800 im well below 100 sometimes even in the 50's.

I have vsync off / AA off / AF off and everything set to performance and im even running in 800x600 resolution....

It is confusing me why my friends X800 Pro with the same setup as me (mobo, proc, ram etc.) is getting almost 100 fps more than me in an openGL game when nvidia is supposed to rock openGL games no problem

anyone know a solution?

phourstar
09-15-04, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know what the following does in the driver panel under openGL settings:

- Disable support for enhanced CPU instruction sets
- Enable conformant openGL texture clamp behavior

They are both unchecked, should i leave them like that or check any of them?

Lezmaka
09-15-04, 12:37 PM
Dual monitors? And any problems with DirectX games?

phourstar
09-15-04, 01:18 PM
Single monitor, no problems on directX at all just openGL

phourstar
09-15-04, 01:30 PM
heres the middle of an FPS drop that randomly occurs...

Resolution 800x600

No AA/AF

Low model details

http://home.comcast.net/~silver45/shot0002.jpg

SmuvMoney
09-15-04, 07:31 PM
Does anyone know what the following does in the driver panel under openGL settings:

- Disable support for enhanced CPU instruction sets
- Enable conformant openGL texture clamp behavior

They are both unchecked, should i leave them like that or check any of them?

Leave them both unchecked. Checking the first one would turn certain off CPU optimizations like MMX, SSE, and SSE2. Checking the second one would cause the dreaded skybox issue if the map skybox wasn't properly built.

It's hard to say what is wrong here. Is the drop a continuous/constant dropoff in one or more specific locations? Or is it more of a stuttering dropoff occurring no matter where you are?

phourstar
09-15-04, 07:51 PM
There really isn't a way to tell when it happens, its just very very random.

phourstar
09-16-04, 12:16 PM
Standing still:

http://home.comcast.net/~silver45/1.jpg

Move back about 2-3 ft:

http://home.comcast.net/~silver45/2.jpg

oh and btw what should my AGP aparture be at?

Superfly
09-16-04, 12:21 PM

saturnotaku
09-16-04, 12:27 PM
I installed my chipset drivers, agp drivers, sound drivers directx 9.0c, windows SP2 and my video card drivers (65.73).

Is this the order in which you installed everything? Because that's not right. It should be this way:

Windows XP
Service Pack 2 (which includes DX 9.0c)
Chipset driver (which should already include AGP)
Video
Sound

It sounds like there's some sort of software and/or driver installation your machine is not liking. Make sure you have AGP 8x enabled in your BIOS and that it shows up this way in your Forceware driver control panel.

OWA
09-16-04, 12:35 PM
Does it only occur after you've died and respawned? Meaning, if you were playing and never died would you still see it during that session or does it only happen after you've been killed and then start again?

phourstar
09-16-04, 02:18 PM
Well those screenshots are in my own server while im alive obviously and after i respawn its still the same, on online public/private servers i get even worse FPS.

I installed in the order you listed saturnotaku.

I installed XP which already had SP2 slipstreamed into it
Chipset drivers
my agp driver
video drivers
and finally my sound

phourstar
09-16-04, 05:04 PM
Just tried flashing my bios to the latest version and still same problem (po)