PDA

View Full Version : Which one: Antec Antec NeoPower 480W or OCZ PowerStream 520W

Antares
09-15-04, 11:46 AM
I'm planning to change my PSU, not for the actual rig but for the future pci-e platform. I narrowed it to these two PSUs: Antec NeoPower 480W and OCZ PowerStream. Both at newegg, similar price (they have a rebate from $150 to $121 for Antec)...

But I don't know which one to get!

I like Antec because of Active PFC, two separate 12v rails (18A and 15A) and configurable power leads, although it's only 480W. On the other hand, OCZ doesn't have PFC but it has adjustable power rails, shielded VGA leads and 33A on 12v rail and it's a little bit more powerful with 520W max. power.

An advice would be great :). Now I don't have too many powerhogs except for the 6800 Ultra, but in the near future I will ad another hard disk, plus another two fans (now I only have 4 case fans).

Thanks!

saturnotaku
09-15-04, 11:55 AM
All the advice you could possibly need is right here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32856

Antares
09-16-04, 07:53 AM
Thanks S. for pointing, but I've already read all that thread about PSUs. I was looking for something more specific like a direct comparison or a review between those two PSUs. I am convinced about OCZ's top notch performance, but can't find too many users' reviews about their NeoPower.

BTW, doe anyone know which one is more "pci-e ready" from these two? It seems like the NeoPower actually has a new power connector for the new pci-e graphics cards, while I don't see this connector with OCZ.

randsom
09-16-04, 08:25 AM
well i had a neo 2 days, and well lets just say i wasnt a real happy camper.

now i have a ocz powerstream 520 and absolutly love it, rails are rock solid at

3.3 rail is 3.3

5.0 volt is 5.03

and my 12v is 12.28
and they dont move

this is straight out of the box.never had to adjust my rails.this is on a p4@4 gig, and 6800 gt at 435-1200, so i have a very power hungry system.

best powersupply ive ever owned.

Antares
09-16-04, 11:21 AM
Wow, you had first a Neo and eventually got to OCZ! If I'm not too indiscrete, what made you to switch from NeoPower to OCZ? Didn't it have some strong enough rails for your system or...? As for the PowerStream, every single review I've read outlines those "rock solid rails". The best thing I like about NeoPower is that the power leads are removable; and that it has a new power lead for pci-e graphics card :).

Some friends insisted that every modern PSU should have Active PFC, which of course OCZ doesn't have. They also recommended me Enermax Noisetaker AX 475W, which has separate 12v rails and active PFC. Still, I like OCZ better.

P1x44r
09-16-04, 11:24 AM
OCZ PowerStream 520W is working like a carm here. Great PSU!

jAkUp
09-16-04, 01:01 PM
I dont think I will buy another enermax... This is my 3rd Enermax PSU, and each one I have had problems with. My rails flucuate pretty badly also. Im pretty much set that my next powersupply will be a PC Power and Cooling. Very expensive, but not as expensive as 3 Enermax PSU's

Omega53
09-16-04, 01:28 PM
PC Power & Cooling is the only this great psu company ;)

kahloq
09-16-04, 08:59 PM
I HAVE the OCZ 520. I can definetly say get the OCZ over the Antec. Theres no comparison. The antec maybe adjustable, but I do not recall it being adjustable from outside the case of the PSU....meaning you gotta open the PSU up to adjsut the rails.

OCZ is what you want and is out of the box BTX compliant for next gen mobo's You wont be sorry.

randsom
09-16-04, 09:54 PM
Wow, you had first a Neo and eventually got to OCZ! If I'm not too indiscrete, what made you to switch from NeoPower to OCZ? Didn't it have some strong enough rails for your system or...? As for the PowerStream, every single review I've read outlines those "rock solid rails". The best thing I like about NeoPower is that the power leads are removable; and that it has a new power lead for pci-e graphics card :).

Some friends insisted that every modern PSU should have Active PFC, which of course OCZ doesn't have. They also recommended me Enermax Noisetaker AX 475W, which has separate 12v rails and active PFC. Still, I like OCZ better.

well my system is pretty power hungry, and the neo couldnt handle the 12v requirements of my system, i saw the 12v go as low 11.2, and i cant have the stability problems.

the neo is a decent power supply, with some cool features, and the removalble leads are awesome. Just not for my system

this ocz 520 , although not having split 12 volt rails. and active PFC, still the best power supply ive used, much better than the neo and defintly better than my enercrap was.

john19055
09-17-04, 01:03 AM
I have the the 470w OCZ PowerStream and it is solid as a rock and it has all the new connections for PCI Express and BTX ready.

Antares
09-17-04, 03:04 AM
Thank you folks for your answers :). Wow, everybody's pro-OCZ! I don't wanna go against the flow, so it's gonna be another OCZ in the family :D. I made my decision. OooooCZ! I guess the best reviews come from people like you.

Knell2
09-17-04, 04:14 AM
I don't know about OCZ but I am using neopower 480. I wasn't sure about this until I read the post from RANDSOM above. His PSU 12V goes as low as 11.2v and not to suprise you my neopower goes as low as 10.7V right at this moment. I have had 2 antec power supplies before and never had a problem with them until neopower. Also Antec's customer support is very good IF you can connect to a real CSR. I called them at least 10 times on different days and each time I left a message for the problem I had with my old antec case.(I got transfered to auto answering system...) but didn't get any replay. Finally a CSR picked up the call after a week of trying to reach them. He was really helpful but it's pointless unless you can actually connect to a real CSR. Take this as a personal experience I really hope it's just my bad luck. That is totally different from the reviews I read about antec.

randsom
09-17-04, 08:15 AM
my experierence with antec power supplies is they have issues on the 12v rails.Ive had 4 antecs ps's the neo, true power 480, true control 550, and a 400 watter(cant remember the model now)everyone of them had 12v rail issues.

Knell2, how are youre hard drives handling the lower power, my samsungs 160 sata giggers used to drop down into pio mode when the 12v would drop down past 11.3.it was way annoyong.

Knell2
09-17-04, 04:40 PM
Knell2, how are youre hard drives handling the lower power, my samsungs 160 sata giggers used to drop down into pio mode when the 12v would drop down past 11.3.it was way annoyong.

I am using a single WD 250g ATA100 HD. I am not sure how to know a HD drops down into pio mode when the 12v is low but I check IDE ATA controller once a while and it always says ultra DMA mode 5.

ricercar
09-17-04, 06:29 PM
After 7 Antecs I figure my next PSU is an OCZ. My most recent Antec purchase was a 550 TrueControl, and the rails are always below 3/5/12 with agp, 4 PCI, 2 optical and 5 hds.

zbose
09-17-04, 07:09 PM
Are you using a multimeter to read the rails? Or do you just open motherboard monitor and see what that says? If you do that latter, then you aren't looking at reliable data.

If you go read up in Overclockers Forums (http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42) you will see that the order of greatest power supplies is something like:
PC Power and Cooling = Fortron > Antec > the rest.

-zbose

One of big power-supply guys on that forum says that the internals of the OCZ are low quality.

well my system is pretty power hungry, and the neo couldnt handle the 12v requirements of my system, i saw the 12v go as low 11.2, and i cant have the stability problems.

the neo is a decent power supply, with some cool features, and the removalble leads are awesome. Just not for my system

this ocz 520 , although not having split 12 volt rails. and active PFC, still the best power supply ive used, much better than the neo and defintly better than my enercrap was.

kahloq
09-17-04, 07:17 PM
Are you using a multimeter to read the rails? Or do you just open motherboard monitor and see what that says? If you do that latter, then you aren't looking at reliable data.

If you go read up in Overclockers Forums (http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42) you will see that the order of greatest power supplies is something like:
PC Power and Cooling = Fortron > Antec > the rest.

-zbose

One of big power-supply guys on that forum says that the internals of the OCZ are low quality.

Then he doesnt know what hes talking about. OCZ's are fashioned after tagan power supplies. Their quality is better then every other PSU maker out there except possibly PCp&c. All review sites rate the OCZ's above everything else unless comparing to a PCp&c and then they rate OCZ as nearly or just as good.

randsom
09-17-04, 08:41 PM
Then he doesnt know what hes talking about. OCZ's are fashioned after tagan power supplies. Their quality is better then every other PSU maker out there except possibly PCp&c. All review sites rate the OCZ's above everything else unless comparing to a PCp&c and then they rate OCZ as nearly or just as good.

well, ive read quite a few reviews on the powerstream series, and all of them have been favorable, to, excellent.

review 1 (http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2138&p=13)

review 2 (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article173-page5.html)

review 3 (http://www.pcunleash.com/bbs/zboard.php?id=MyItemReview&no=35)

theres alot more reviews out there, but i can tell ya from my personal experience, this is the best psu ive ever used.

Elvis2
09-17-04, 10:17 PM
I just installed my new OCZ PS 520 last night and all I can say is awesome! Much better construction and voltage stability over my Antec True Power 480. Really like the finish and features like the TWO dedicated and shielded vga/hd feeds as well as the two sata power connectors for my Raptors :).

mustrum
11-24-04, 07:51 AM
Thanks for this thread!
I just ordered me a OCZ Powerstream 520. :D
My heart was bleeding because of the price but it really looks like it's worth it. I've yet to read a negative comment about this PSU!