PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 6800 Ultra GPU core frequency problem

Idoru
09-15-04, 12:50 PM
Posted this over at Sharky's already, but suspect i may get a better response here:

<>
Recently built a new PC (Athlon64 3500+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, XP SP1, 1GB Corsair PC3200, 2 x 36GB WD Raptors in Raid 1, Antec 550W PSU) and installed a Gainward Golden sample 6800 Ultra - first off, having problems in 2D (on my trusty Dell P991 monitor, worked fine with my old GeForce 3) with a weird 'popping' of the desktop image almost like the monitor is degaussing itself.... next up, install Doom 3, launch... crashes to black screen when initial 'landing on Mars' cutscene runs. Install 61.77 WHQL drivers, relaunch - success, find myself standing in the docking bay. Move forward.... really laggy/poor FPS. Close D3, run Disk Defragmenter again, relaunch.... better. But still framerate seems poor.

Ponder problem. Install latest Hyperion drivers for VIA chipset. Still 2D problem (not yet retried D3). Think about upgrade to 65.73 drivers... but first browse a few forums to gauge the consensus. See a posting on the MSI support site about ensuring the 2D and 3D clock settings on the card are the same (425MHz). Install Coolbits and check "D settings... 400MHz. OK, that's stock. Check 3D....***!!! 300MHz. No wonder D3 was running poorly.

Questions: anyone else come across this? Is it a BIOS problem (card BIOS is 5.40.02.05.10, appreciate that 10.15 is latest available but am not keen to flash the BIOS)? benefits of going up to 65.73 Forceware?

Awaiting Gainward response, though not holding my breath...

<>

Update: Gainward's response was to send the card to be checked by them. In Germany. Yeah, right.... last resort, I feel. Anyhow, all input gratefully received. Running Direct X 9.0b btw.

False Christian
09-15-04, 12:59 PM
It looks like a bum card. RMA it. You could try reformatting and reinstalling Windows XP and everything else, too. I know it's a pain in der ars but I always do it when installing a new videocard. :scarey:

Idoru
09-15-04, 01:05 PM
Thanks for that. The 6800U was installed on a fresh XPSP1 install. However, have today discovered Fast Writes was enabled by default in the BIOS, so disabled that... also upped Graphics Aperture Size setting from 64MB (default) to 128MB. Not yet had a chance to run Doom 3 however.... as for 2D problem, it seems to manifest itself when the PC is booted up from cold (not restarted), does it a few times and then problem disappears.... odd.

Lfctony
09-15-04, 01:32 PM
Looks like a bad bios for your GW, many users reported having incorrect 3D speeds, check out the GW forums for an updated bios.

y2jdmbfan
09-15-04, 03:07 PM
Try the BFG 05.40.02.15.12 bios. That solved all my strange clock/mem frequency problems I was having.

Y2J